PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Stain removal

SouthernExposure
02-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi to all,
Anyone have any insight on how to remove red dye stains from new white vinyl? If so, please help. Beach towels are a bitc... All my hard work down the drain. : - (
Thanks
SE

Sam
02-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Do Google search, lot's of info on the subject. From my experience their are no sure things, just trial and error..............good luck.

Sam

onesubdrvr
02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Man, sorry to hear that, your interior looks sweet!!

No advice here, but similiar story,....

Replaced the alternator on my Ragazza, photocopied the wiring diagram, and made some pen notes on it to take in the boat with me.
Placed paper on new captains chair which was wet
Ink bled from paper to chair, staining chair

It's not as noticable now (with time, soft scrub, tilex / etc.), but, it's still there. Seats were less than 6 months old.

Oh well, lesson learned
Wayne

mrfixxall
02-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Westleys bleech white,white wall cleaner...I found out that it works the best on my white interior....

You can get at your local autozone,pepboys etc....

joel3078
02-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Westleys bleech white,white wall cleaner...I found out that it works the best on my white interior....
You can get at your local autozone,pepboys etc....

Yup this works great. Use a vinyl conditioner after you are done. DO NOT get that Westleys stuff on Aluminum though. Probably other metals also as it is corrosive. Fumes are kinda wicked also.

SouthernExposure
02-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.

SE

Barry Phillips
02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi SE, sorry to hear about you’re staining problem. I had the same problem on 2 boats. The first time my wife decided to die a pair of black shorts and weir them on the boat before washing them a few times to bleed out the excess die. When she got wet the shorts bleed all over the seat. I tried everything including vinyl cleaners, bleach solutions, even cleansers. I was able to mimize the stain but the dye was very strong. Over several seasons of sun and general ware the stain eventually disappeared. A canvas shop told me that the dye sets in the backing material an bleeds through the vinyl surface from the back.

On my 22 a friends son was wearing a brand new tie-dyed shirt that bled on the corner of my back seat, which I was able to get out with Simple Green the only product I had at the time. Being a cheep tee shirt the dye was not as strong, so I lucked out. Now I have to play cloths police, never wear anything with strong dies or at least laundered several times on the boat.

Dalelama
02-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Built Rite suggests mineral spirits to clean thier product... NO vinyl cleaners... mineral spirits and that's all..... good luck!

synack
02-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Along the same lines....

The boat that I have was was loaded with mildew when i bought it. I got most of the mildew off, but there's still a few dark spots on the sunpad that I have never been able to do anything with. Do you guys know if there's anything that can be done with that?

need for speed
02-09-2006, 03:08 PM
mildew Use some bleach and water .... make sure u rinse and get it out the stitching or it will rot the stitching.... soft scrub works great with a little brush... I use a lot of that here at work. use some 303 after or somthing of your choice..

joel3078
02-09-2006, 04:34 PM
For mildew:
Bleach/Water
Comet with Dawn or Era - make a thick paste and scrub (works great as greasy hand cleaner also)
Tilex - let sit for 15 to 30 minutes then scrub.

All harsh stuff causing drying, rotting, stitching failure, etc. Make sure you rinse very well and then apply a good vinyl condititoner.

Keeping a boat clean, oh what fun! And I thought my ex was high maintenance. :eek: