PDA

View Full Version : Donzi mechanic in the Northeast

dubberstuff
02-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a 1968 16' Ski Sporter that I would like to have restored. The fiberglass is in good condition but I would still like to go ahead with a deck off restoration to refiberglass and strengthen the bow deck and refiberglass the dash and rear seat. The boat currently has a 1987 350 with a volvo 290 outdrive. I would like to install a new block and refurbish the existing parts on the current engine. I would also like to rebuild (if necessary) the outdrive.

I will not be doing this work myself but instead I am looking to hire an experienced and reliable mechanic who has completed such work before. I am looking for a mechanic in the northeast. I would appreciate any recommendations of individual mechanics or marinas that can do this work.

I have some more photos in another thread at the following link: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43547

Thanks,

Ward

Sam
02-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Check out Lakeside Restorations one of the advertisers here on the site, 570-639-2628.

slapshot11
02-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I would give the folks at performance Marine on Lake George, NY a call. I've found them very good to work with.

LKSD
02-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Check out Lakeside Restorations one of the advertisers here on the site, 570-639-2628.

Sam, thanks for the referral...

Ward, I know we talked a few days ago.. If you are still interested let me know. We can do pretty much what ever you want, even in stages if need be.. Jamie :)

Woodsy
02-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Nothing against you Jamie...

Something a little closer to home... you might want to give Unique Boat Restorations a call. They are located here on Lake Winnipesaukee in Moultonborough NH. The guy is a member of the Winni Donzi club and has done several restorations. The number is (603) 253-3848

Woodsy

LKSD
02-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Something a little closer to home... you might want to give Unique Boat Restorations a call. They are located here on Lake Winnipesaukee in Moultonborough NH. The guy is a member of the Winni Donzi club and has done several restorations. The number is (603) 253-3848
Woodsy

Woodsy, I am not offended if its a legit boat place & is closer for him. I think the boat is currently in Long Island which is a bit closer to me though. Matter of fact I will be calling him back. I dont want to mislead him as I dont think 10-15 K will go that far with everything that needs to be addressed to bring it back to life... Nor can I do it for that price for a deck off complete resto with rebuilding the engine & other requests.. J :)

The Hedgehog
02-07-2006, 08:50 PM
and I use Jamie at Lakeside. His support and communication are excellent. He will be the first I call when it comes time to do some more work to my father's 16. I can't speak about the others but Jamie kept me in the loop the whole time on my relatively simple mods. If I was planning a total restoration that communication would have been even more important! He is also very upfront about price and not just trying to make a deal. No surprises is also good thing.

I look forward to working with him in the fall when it comes time to have some fun with the 16.

dubberstuff
02-07-2006, 10:30 PM
thanks for all the advice. Restoring a donzi can be daunting but having a resource like the donzi registry is extremely helpful.

DonziJon
02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Woodsy

Woodsey: Is this the guy who had a Red Minx (repaint) for sale last September? Is his name Bill?? I have a card from that place BUT it says "All Pro Sports", Rt 11, Gilford. Is this the same place/alternate location?? New name?? Thanks: DJ