PDA

View Full Version : Swan Point MD... what do we know??

need for speed
02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Well Well ......Looks like Wife>>>> :biggrin: got a job offer in Swan Point MD,,,
I have never been there.... I am sure one of your know this area??
whats the area like? country? nice?? what about boating? is it all salt? ..thanks ...:cistineb:

charles

Marlin275
02-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Great area
All salt
Some rivers, not much fresh
I used to sail a 37ft Trimaran all around the Chesapeake Bay
Lots of old time fisherman
That Bay can kick up real good at times
Big ships goin up to Baltimore
It has been a busy port since the 18th century.

Dr. Dan
02-05-2006, 02:30 PM
:wavey: Charles, I have a friend who used to keep his boat at Sparrows Point, Md and I spent years boating outta the area, not with the Donzi...

The Northern Bay is very unique, we boat in NorthEast , Md which is at the top of the Bay, the Rivers wash into the Bay all year so while the Snow melt(when we have any) & Rain fall is high the Salinity of the Northern Bay is minimal, as the Summer progresses, it gets a tad more Salty due to less rain. Then the cycle starts again...the Salt is easy to track based on the Sea Nettles(little jelly fish) migration North as the Salt from the Ocean creeps up the Bay.

Are we moving up here soon? That area is sorta a bit Industrial, there are some exceptions, but also some really cool places to live in the area. You will love the Bay, plus if ya keep a boat in the family, we will have more friends to Boat with. :D

We are less than an hour from there. We are up Interstate 83 in Shrewsbury, Pa. I am an hour from NorthEast via cross country roads.

Baltimore has the best Baseball Stadium in the area(Camden Yards) the City is really becoming a nice place, great restaurants,bars etc.

The area is central to alot only an hour or so North of D.C. depending on traffic, about the same to Philly. New York is about 2.5 hours on average, depending on how ya travel,car,train,bus...about 20 minutes by plane.

Donzi Registry Members that may corrupt you because you're close:
Doc and Lizard
Brad and Amy
Fastrucker (careful he's Fast)
Ed Schumacher & Kim - Undertaker
Greg Maier
Tom Broccoli & Crazy Brother
Bill Nagy and his Psycho 16 Classic

I am sure there are others, ...

Good Luck, Keep Us Posted.

Doc :smash:

need for speed
02-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Doc... well ... Laurie has a super job offer in the works... pay is super so we might just fly up in the next week or 2 and check it out more..keep ya posted thanks...

need for speed
02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
well... she got the offer.. so next weekend we r fluing in to Wash.....Regan.....for a little tour/ interview and I will check out area see i we r gona like it...
its 1.5 hours south.. i am told ... Never been to any of these places....

Dr. Dan
02-09-2006, 02:49 AM
:bighug: Congrats, just curious, why fly into Reagan if the job is up in the point? Wouldn't BWI be closer? BWI and Dulles are a little less in the heart of things. Just as an FYI?

Not to mention the Traffic ...Reagan is right in the Center of D.C., we boat down that way on the Potomac sometimes, heading to Baltimore and points North is gonna get ya educated real quick.....

Anyway...maybe give me a hollar...if ya wanna hook up, maybe I could arrange something...or not...

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

Formula Jr
02-09-2006, 07:22 AM
The only Swan Point I know is on the Severn River.
This is a nice residential area between Route 2 and the river and near
the Anne Arundle Community College.
If its That Swan Point, you will love it. Its a 15 minute boat ride to Annapolis.
And Route 2 will drop you right into town. The water is brackish.

need for speed
02-09-2006, 07:55 AM
ok Guys... I am lost now.. LOL This is the map i have- it's south from DC... the blue thing on the map ..... what u think ?? still an ok area? what do we know..

Formula Jr
02-09-2006, 09:22 AM
You are going to a very rural and isolated area of Southern Maryland.
Get ready for a time-warp back to the 18th century.
The water is more salty than the Severn.
And there are many shallows, mostly dirt/clay and light sand
bottoms.

need for speed
02-09-2006, 09:32 AM
18 century..oooooo .. so we can look for some nice big country homes... or not that kinda place,,,

fasttrucker
02-09-2006, 04:38 PM
The housing market up here is big$$$ but the bubble is starting to brust.Pricing has started to stay flat are you going to rent or buy?We have a lot of great boating here,lots of bars,babes and beer.Iam from ft.lauderdale fla and the boating here is more fun.No speed limits.The only thing the season, it only lasts 6-months.

undertaker
02-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Need, move on up... us 22 classic/Myco trailer guys need to stick together:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The upper Bay IMO is a great spot to boat freshwater and not as rough as the middle & lower bay, and like Doc said more Donzi friends to boat with.:biggrin:

Good luck have a great flight...

Undertaker:boat:

Dr. Dan
02-10-2006, 06:46 AM
:cool!: Sorry Charlie, I looked around the Map and the first thing I saw was a Swan Point just on the Tip of a Penninsula near Dundalk...which is kinda Industrial In Character...

You're really down in Virginia Territory down there ... and Truckster is correct(can't believe I am actualy agreeing with him...?) but there are some really cool places to live down that way. I would suggest in a short run ya find something that is convenient and affordable and do as short of lease as ya can until you have time to explore.

The Bay area has some very unique characteristics in terms of Quality of Life Dynamics, in some areas its quite Metro, in others like Owen suggests, you would swear you were a Century back in time. Which actually is what makes this area such a cool place to live.

That area of the Bay is very Spicey! But hey, no more than what you are used to, the Potomac has some nice places to boat as well. We go down that way to boat with Brad and Amy all of the time.

Lake Anna is Fresh Water, little crazy on a Holiday Weekend , but otherwise... a great place to romp around.

The Potomac is Nasty down by the bay, or can be, rough sea wise, but up river its calm and reasonably predictable. Like any River, ya have to watch for logs and debris after storms, and cross wake driving is tiresome in a Donzi. But Dwight and Brad and I have had some fun runs...even Smooth Operator, Tim White boats there all of the time in his Supercharged 38ZX, now he has a Real MYCO!!!! :spongebob

Either way, D.C. and Maryland and the surrounding area is a terrific spot, a bit too populated at times, not unlike any area that supports this kind of population, but a very diverse place to live for sure.

I think you will love it.

Doc of the Bay :beer:

need for speed
02-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Its ok Dr... not all Dr's are right all the time.....:wavey:

We are working on the tickets... we will be there next sat for 3 days. we will give it a tour around,,, see what we think.:wavey:

need for speed
02-10-2006, 10:32 AM
we r good to go.. land at 7 ish friday night.... in town till sunday night 745.. whats its like driving out of the reagen airport?? LOL..

hardcrab
02-11-2006, 11:00 AM
this reply comes a little late, but, Swan Point in Charles county Md, is a golf course community on the Potomac river just south of the RT 301 bridge into Virginia.
as stated above, the area is definatly laid back and reminiscent of 19th century life, but you can find a Wal-Mart within a 30 min. drive (+-)
the Potomac river is a large body of water here and merges with the Chesapeake bay approx 10-12 mi. downstream; the fork can kick up and get real nasty even on a good day depending on the tides.
nice back river cruising to be had, great fishing (rockfish / striped bass ) and crabbing. wildlife and clean air :)
you will however, be getting used to the ammunitions testing at Dahlgren naval proving grounds located on the VA side of the river; it depends on which way the wind blows to how much you hear.
in summary, it's a great place to call home for anyone that's NOT cityfolk

need for speed
02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
thanks!!!... not too late we will be in town next friday night..... !!!:wavey: