PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classic -- Kick A$$ Sound System

Donzi Sound
02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Would like to know who has the best sound system in an 18 Classic

The 2001 18 Classic has the Sony system -- but would like to upgrade to something that match the performance of this craft.

Does anyone have pictures of a high end system?

David Hartmann
02-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I am also interested.

I put a new stereo in my St Tropez last year. I new better than to buy a Jensen but the layout seemed perfect for my installation(remote faceplate). It was a 10 disc system.

It lasted about 20 hours. The CD changer can not handle a Donzi(at least not with me driving). The thing was a $450 piece of crap from the begining.

I am trying to figure out what to do for this spring.

onesubdrvr
02-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I haven't done it YET, but what I am going to do as far as tunes in get an IPOD, (I have most of my CD's burned into the computer anyway), and load it up with all the songs I own, then just get the adapter to plug it into an amp.

No skipping, nearly unlimited songs, durable, and removable.

Wayne

Rob
02-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Personally I'm partial to the eight cylinder rumble and mechanical lifter rhythm section the boat comes stock with...

MOP
02-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm with Rob! Even when I have the Gil mufflers on I have to speak loud to be heard, can't imagine trying to listen to tunes while cranking down the bay.

Phil

blackhawk
02-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I haven't done it YET, but what I am going to do as far as tunes in get an IPOD, (I have most of my CD's burned into the computer anyway), and load it up with all the songs I own, then just get the adapter to plug it into an amp.
No skipping, nearly unlimited songs, durable, and removable.
Wayne

I am doing the same thing. IF you use just the IPOD hardwired into the amp(s) get a line driver to bring the input voltage up going to the amp(s) or it will not sound as good. I decided to go with a head unit that has an IPOD interface that allows you to control the IPOD from the receiver in my new boat. 4000+ songs! :D

blackhawk
02-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I am also interested.
I put a new stereo in my St Tropez last year. I new better than to buy a Jensen but the layout seemed perfect for my installation(remote faceplate). It was a 10 disc system.
It lasted about 20 hours. The CD changer can not handle a Donzi(at least not with me driving). The thing was a $450 piece of crap from the begining.
I am trying to figure out what to do for this spring.

I'm not a Jensen fan either. My first Sony 10 disc changer read 5 seconds and rarely skipped and lasted for 3 seasons! Bought another Sony that read 10 seconds ahead and was still working perfectly when I sold the Blackhawk.

blackhawk
02-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Would like to know who has the best sound system in an 18 Classic
The 2001 18 Classic has the Sony system -- but would like to upgrade to something that match the performance of this craft.
Does anyone have pictures of a high end system?

If you want something that sound goods inside the boat a GOOD set of 4 6.5" speakers hooked to a decent powered amp sounds surprisingly good. Then add a single sub in a sealed box under the bow either pointing up or forward with a lot of power going to it for some bass. I also added tweeters in the dash in my last two boats.

Now if you want something that carries well OUTSIDE of the boat then I can't help because I have been trying to figure that out for years in these small cockpit boats! :confused:

Donzi Sound
02-05-2006, 04:50 PM
No doubt the sound of the V8 through the transom is music to the ears.

But when you are just floating around between runs, a great sound system is nice to have.

I have picked up the hardware already. Polk-Momo makes some really cool marine stuff. The head unit is a Clarion CMD4 -- which is nice because you don't need to mess with opening the cover to get to unit. You can also add an iPod interface unit.

I'm trying to figure out the best design for the subwoofer enclosure. Does anyone have any pictures of one they built?

goatee
02-05-2006, 10:49 PM
be careful with that ipod!
a friend of mine (going against another more pc knowledgeable friends advise)
bought an ipod. then it converted all his files in his hard drive.:kaioken:
thousands of songs! we all kinda share, so i know.

Barry Phillips
02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Wow, mobile audio, I’ve built numerous automotive systems for myself and friends over the years because frankly only up to a few years ago OEM automotive systems were junk.

Now my wife drives a VW Jetta with a 10-speaker system, which sounds peaty good not great but good. Although I have not installed an audio system in many years, I still like to look in the electronic stores at the equipment being offered today. With all the cool stuff on the market, there are still 2 constants, power and speakers. Head units have become less and less exspenive and as for CD technology, just about every CD or DVD optical pickups are based on Sony or Philips patents. The main diference between units is the drive mechanism or turn table if you will and how it’s support system is design which determines how well the player absorbs shocks, and I’m not sure there is CD player that that will not skip when your running your Donzi at speed. I would really like to see an I-Pod compatible marine head unit, that would really be the way to go. A lot of music stoage and I would think great stability.

As for speakers in and open boats like Classic Donzis bass is a huge issue. Bass frequencies are nonidirectional and need a closed environment to work really work well. If your own a vehicle with a quality sound system and a sunroof, I’m sure you have experienced a huge difference in bass response with the roof opened and closed. Sub- woofers need a lot more power and cone area, than mid-range and tweeters. The best mobile speakers I have ever experienced were, MB-Quart, Boston Acoustic, as well as ABS and AR, which are no longer available. MB-Quart has a marine line that’s worth a listen. Bose makes an enclosed system that will slip into a standard 5” opening, but I’ve never listened to them.

Space is a premium on any Classic Donzi, so a 5-channel amp is not a bad idea or a compact 4 channel to run your mid-highs and at least a 100-watt mono amp to run a sub. You can stash the sub under the deck but in an open boat use something self contained in it’s own enclosure or better yet self powered. I frankly still feel that a sub-woofer is a waste on an open boat because you feel base rather than hear it. Keep the system simple, use a low distortion amp and mount it in a dry well ventilate area, amps will overheat and cut out. Also your alternator needs to more than 65 amp to run a really killer system, a duel battery system would not hurt either.

GOOD LUCK
BP

blackhawk
02-08-2006, 08:53 AM
IMO power is key. I always OVERPOWER the speakers. Then you are not cranking up the stereo and working the amps to death.

My new set-up will have 125 watts RMSx4 going to 4 Infinity Kappa 63.7i
6.5" speakers(rated at 75 watts RMS) and 480 watts RMSx2 to 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L5 10" subs(rated at 450 watts RMS). I always use a capacitor as well.

zimm17
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM
JL audio has a new line of marine speakers. In my experience, JL products are awesome. I have had JL in the last three vehicles- top quality sound. You do have to go to a dealer and pay top dollar though- no internet discount places available that are authorized dealers.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/

dubberstuff
02-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Has anyone ever used a system with the bose marine speakers? Are they good? I have the home system and find them to be very good and I would think their marine stuff would be top quality as well but I am not sure.

Barry Phillips
02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I just don't know about Bose marine speakers. There home stuff generates a lot of sound from a small package, but I'm not sure about Bose electronics. Bose Audio uses porting and enclosure design to control sound quality, so I would think there self contained marine equipment would sound pretty good. I still like MB-Quart, I used them in one of my cars and they had a killer sound plus they could handle a lot of power. I Just don't know much about their marine equipment though. I would not restrict myself to marine only equipment either.

BP

blackhawk
02-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Interesting how many people use marine stuff in their boats. I guess in salt water/air you should but I have never used anything "marine" in my boat and I have never had a problem. A lot more choices with the non marine stuff.

Jamesbon
02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Listen to Blackhawk! PERIOD!

My Concept has 4 Infinity Kappa's powered by a Rockford Fosgate 4 ch. amp and it KICKS ASS! Bass and all. The only feasible upgrade would be an additional sub. (Which may be in the furture.) Keep it simple. ...I'll take your advice Blackhawk!

Whatever head unit you choose should yield the same results. Use the RCA's to power the amp, then get 4 Kappa's, wire them right and add a single sub and HOLD ON! This all comes from hands on experience!

On that note, what sub and what wire scheme do you recomend Blackhawk?

RedDog
02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I don't understand the need for or the desire for a "kick-ass" stereo. If running, you can't really hear / enjoy the high quality sound. If just floating and turned up more than a low volume, it would drive me out of the boat to get away from the loudness.

my 2 cents: save money on the on board equipment and add an iPod or portable satellite (e.g., Sirius) interface (or both)

Surfer
02-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I've got four of the Bose Marine 131 @ 100watt/channel, with self powered "Bazooka" sub way up front. I use an Ipod "shuffle" (no mving parts) to drive it. Its definitly loud enough to hear while running, and the little sub has scared me a couple of times, thinking that I have hit somthing. The Bose speakers have a composit impregneted cloth surround that will not rot, like the rubber / PVC speakers, and they have a more predictable reponcse because they come in their own backbox, that protects them as well. The system has been in the boat about two years with no problems.

blackhawk
02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Listen to Blackhawk! PERIOD!
My Concept has 4 Infinity Kappa's powered by a Rockford Fosgate 4 ch. amp and it KICKS ASS! Bass and all. The only feasible upgrade would be an additional sub. (Which may be in the furture.) Keep it simple. ...I'll take your advice Blackhawk!
Whatever head unit you choose should yield the same results. Use the RCA's to power the amp, then get 4 Kappa's, wire them right and add a single sub and HOLD ON! This all comes from hands on experience!
On that note, what sub and what wire scheme do you recomend Blackhawk?

Jamesbon, I am planning on using 1 or 2 Kicker Solo-Baric L5 10" subs. If I use one sub then I will run a mono amp and wire the sub in parallel(it's a dual voice coil sub) to get a 2ohm load and 500 watts RMS to it. If I run 2 subs then I am going to use a 2-channel sub and again wire in parallel to get a 2 ohm load and 480 watts RMS each to the subs.

The 6.5 Infinity speakers are actually a 2ohm speaker so I am running them to a four channel amp that pushes 125 watts RMS at 2ohms.

I always use good speaker wire for everything. I don't have it in front of me but I think 12 guage for the 6.5s and 8 or 10 for the subs.

blackhawk
02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't understand the need for or the desire for a "kick-ass" stereo. If running, you can't really hear / enjoy the high quality sound. If just floating and turned up more than a low volume, it would drive me out of the boat to get away from the loudness.

my 2 cents: save money on the on board equipment and add an iPod or portable satellite (e.g., Sirius) interface (or both)

Top 3 reasons for a "kick-ass" system: :D

#1. Some music has to be really loud to be fully appreciated.
#2. Sometimes you just want to ROCK.
#3. Loud music attracts hot girls that want to dance on your bow or sunpad!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

TuxedoPk
02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Top 3 reasons for a "kick-ass" system: :D
#1. Some music has to be really loud to be fully appreciated.
#2. Sometimes you just want to ROCK.
#3. Loud music attracts hot girls that want to dance on your bow or sunpad!
:yes: :yes: :yes:

#4. It's your age :)

blackhawk
02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
#4. It's your age :)

#5. If it's too loud, you're too old! :D

txtaz
02-09-2006, 04:50 PM
My Opinion....
-Pyle Marine head unit - because it has the wired remote and I hate leaning all the way over the reach the head unit.
-(2) Pyle Marine 1000 watt amps, 1 is cool, 2 is better
-(2) NOS Bazooka 10" subs (marine), Looks cool, sounds great.
I'm using marine amps and subs becuase they are going to be mounted in the engine compartment and water proofing does matter.
Amps are bridged 2X250 and 1X500 (sub)

I still don't think I will be able to hear it at 70 but it sure will rock the boat docks.
Da Taz