PDA

View Full Version : Need electrical help. New battery ....still no juice

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 12:45 PM
After sitting for the winter my battery in the boat was dead. I bought a new battery and put it in the boat. After hooking it up, turning battery swith to on, I put the key in the ignition. I then gave it a quarter turn at which point I usually get a loud single beep and gauges come alive. This time when I turned the key nothin happend. battery is brand new and hooked up correctly. I went behind the dash and all connections are good to go. Any thoughts?

onesubdrvr
02-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Scott,

Sorry, can't give you much help as I don't know that engine package very well, but it sounds like a fuse / breaker, OR maybe a problem with the ground. Does anything (ie bilge pump) work, or nothing at all?

Wayne

TuxedoPk
02-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Any thoughts?
Your battery may not have been dead :)

Did you verify the old battery/new battery with a meter? Are you getting power on the other side of the battery switch?

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes old battery was extremely weak / dead. I checked it. New battery was checked as well. the cicuit break/ reset button next to the ignition was not tripped.... goin back out and pulling it to see if it is bad.:boggled:

mrfixxall
02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
crome, check the pos cable going to the starter..they loosen up from time to time from pounding the waves and when it sits the moisture in the bilage causes corosion between the cable wnd the solinoid on the starter..

MOP
02-04-2006, 03:16 PM
CG also check the ground cable where it attaches to the block that is a pretty frequent culprit, when yo turn the ket do you atleast get the gauges to flicker like thy are being powered. If they show power the starter assist solinoid can be bad and not passing current to the starters solinoid.

Phil

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 03:28 PM
When key is turned there is ZERO action. Only thing I dislike about my boat is the small ass engine bay....... Gonna check pos. post on starter and the ground...... what a PITA..... brb......

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 03:38 PM
OK after walking out there andtaking a look see.....just how the hell am I supposed to get to where the ground is or even the starter...... my big ass aint fittin in there..... :eek:

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
OK here's a question for you...... In the Installation guide for the 496HO there are several notes labeled IMPORTANT and the entire note is bold faced...

One of them is do not use a battery with wing nut terminal connectors.

Also is says Minimum Required Cranking battery size is 750 cca, 950 mca or 180 Ah.

The battery which Donzi put in the boat has wing nut terminal connectors and does not meet the minimum battery ratings in any category......

So should Donzi buy me the correct battery that MERC reuires for this motor?

MOP
02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
CG the ground would be my first choice, it is usualy attached using one of the bell housing bolts. You should be able to follow it to where ever, take it loose don't just feel for tight. Unless it was protected with something to retard corrosion it can feel tight but not pass current, once loose you can clean it and put it back to see if that fixes it. You should pick up a cheap VOM (volt ohm meter) they can save you a lot of time finding this kind of stuff.

Phil

MOP
02-04-2006, 03:57 PM
The great Fuzzy One has come up with a few more excelent clues!
I can tell he did not Party Hardy last night:D

BUIZILLA
02-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Chromey, when your little purple helper gets done flogging his dolphin, he looks small enough to get in there for a check-e-see

:cussball:

MOP
02-04-2006, 04:14 PM
:rlol: :rlol:

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, like I said nothing works. No power anywhere. Looks like the boat will be going to a local merc service center as I can not get to where the ground is grounded. It's way friggin back there and there is zero room. I hav a multi meter and did check the ignition switch and the reset breaker right next to it. Both are good to go.

The weird thing is last weekend when I put the key in and turned I got the beep and gauges came to life barely and battery gauge was reading very low and then faded away. tried again it was weaker , then 3rd time was kaput. Nothing has changed from then except putting in a new battery. But like I said nothing.

Oh and the battery Donzi put in was 635 CCA 520 MCA 85 AH...... compared to the required minumums of 750 , 950 180.......:rolleyes:

John W
02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Chrome,
Samr thing happpeded to my rig. Check where the main wiring harness is connected at the motor. Does really really weird things, Appearently, the Donzi buiders tightened up the hoseclamp too much and it actually forces the the plug apart. You will get the same symptoms you have. Oh by the way the selling dealer puts the batteries in and My guess is the cheapest battery that will fill the hole goes in the boat.
hope this helps.
JW

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 04:46 PM
John.... went out and checked.... the connections were tight and positively made. Like I said.... guess the local shop gonna get some of my money for what is probab;y and easy fix....:rolleyes:

gcarter
02-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Scott, you need to send your very attractive wife to Debbie's house for mechanics lessons.
I know she'll fit.

Cuda
02-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Bad ground would be my guess. I just bought two batteries today too. I bought them at Sam's Club, 1000 CCA's for $49, you won't beat that deal anywhere.

gcarter
02-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Bad ground would be my guess. I just bought two batteries today too. I bought them at Sam's Club, 1000 CCA's for $49, you won't beat that deal anywhere.
It's hard to beat Sams Club...period!

mrfixxall
02-04-2006, 05:21 PM
crome,,,, try leaving the ignition in the on position and go back to the bilage and try to jiggle the bett - & + cables or turn your lights on whyledoing so and see if the lights get brighter....

RedDog
02-04-2006, 05:31 PM
On my '98, and I assume newer Mercs as well, The positve battery cable is attached to a fusable link on the starter (or solenoid?). I know for a fact that it you just momentarily connect the battery reverse polarity, the link will blow. If this link blows, nothing will have power. When I discovered this would happenn, I lapsed into language unbecoming a gentleman.... :lookaroun

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 05:37 PM
On my '98, and I assume newer Mercs as well, The positve battery cable is attached to a fusable link on the starter (or solenoid?). I know for a fact that it you just momentarily connect the battery reverse polarity, the link will blow. If this link blows, nothing will have power. When I discovered this would happenn, I lapsed into language unbecoming a gentleman.... :lookaroun

REDDOG...you have a PM my friend..... :idea:

Cuda
02-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Run a jumper from whatever is easy get to, from the ground side of it, to the ground on the battery and see if it works.

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Cuda it's too damn cold out.... I'm done till tommorow. Friggin windy too.

Sam
02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Chrome, did you by chance buy yout battery from Sam's Club :cistineb:. Sorry man I just couldn't resist, I'll be quiet now.

Sam

Rootsy
02-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Cuda it's too damn cold out.... I'm done till tommorow. Friggin windy too.

who, huh, wha???? cold??? :cartman:

JR - time to light the fires and kick the errr... resin :biggrin:

RedDog
02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
REDDOG...you have a PM my friend..... :idea:

Ahhhm the reversed post - that is what did me in. Found my repair invoice. 90 amp fuse (part # 88-79023A91 @ $19.75); 1-1/2 hours labor at $76.00 per hour. If it wasn't so hard to get to, the fix would be easy. There is a real need for midget mechanics when comes to working on a Donzi.

ChromeGorilla
02-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Did someone get the license plate of that bus...........:rolleyes: :boggled: :cussball: :biggrin.: