PDA

View Full Version : rub rail: SS verses aluminum

WOT-sup
02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Been reading threads on rub rails and getting ready to buy material. Looked at the TACO web-site.
The 'original' aluminum seems like it would have to be an easier install than the SS, especially at the bow.
Also, the SS only showed in 'half-round' cut. (As opposed to the alloy which was 'J' shape (original).) How does the top edge of this 'half-round' look as it meets the hull? (TACO schematic looked like it would not be fully flush.)
Other than 'wear factor' and 'shineability', the 'original' has some desirable characteristics.
What is the current thinking from those of you who are familiar????????

mikev
02-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I replaced mine last summer with the original style aluminnum and it was a pain but deffinatly worth it just an fyi the holes for the screws wont line up with the old ones but no biggy just fill in the old holes with marinetex or something i didnt and ended up with a leak where the rubrail runs along the swim platform at the water line. i choose to do the aluminum again becase it has the rubber that is easily replaced and doesnt scuff like to solid ss stuff when you bump a dock. good luck and let me know it you have any questions.

mrfixxall
02-04-2006, 11:37 AM
When i restored my x i had taco send me some samples..
when i got the samples i found that the urathane rubrail with the ss insert would not fit.. It was wider then the original j type rub rail.In order to get the new style to fit you would have to raise the top deck and redrill all the holes that hold the hull and deck together...

P.S. the half round ss trim your looking at is designed to fit into urathane rub rail like some of the newer donzis have....

Rootsy
02-04-2006, 06:02 PM
what i have really been wondering and no one can seem to answer me...

HOW DO YOU BEND THE ARCH in SS rub rail for the transom arch of an 18 barrelback?

good timing on this WOT-sup...

mrfixxall
02-04-2006, 07:11 PM
what i have really been wondering and no one can seem to answer me...
HOW DO YOU BEND THE ARCH in SS rub rail for the transom arch of an 18 barrelback?
good timing on this WOT-sup...

rootsy,,i dont think anybody makes a j style ss rub rail for a barrelback..or do they? I know the alunimum rub rail can be warmed up to make the arch..

Bob
02-04-2006, 07:59 PM
On the Hornet, I'm going with the original taco J molding in aluminum. I was told that the aluminum has more "forgiveness" when it kisses the dock. The shiney ss looks better IMHO.