PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 24hrs

HallJ
02-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Here's a few from the 24hr race,
Enjoy!

p729lws
02-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Here's a shot I found online of the Lip-Ship / Cigarette sponsored Daytona prototype car. We went the first year they ran the prototypes but haven't made it back. Camping in the infield was a good time. :)

How did you get access to the hot pits?

Dan

gcarter
02-04-2006, 08:51 AM
How did you get access to the hot pits?
Dan
Mr Jeff Hall is on a Corvette pit crew!!:eek!:

BTW Jeff, you should have given me a yell. I suppose you were pretty busy though.

Cuda
02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Those stands sure are empty.

p729lws
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Mr Jeff Hall is on a Corvette pit crew!!:eek!:
BTW Jeff, you should have given me a yell. I suppose you were pretty busy though.

Must be good to be Jeff!

MOP
02-06-2006, 05:41 AM
I am curious how well the Audi diesel ran, the 24 was its debut. Some of the stuff I read said it should make a decent showing.

Phil

HallJ
02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I am curious how well the Audi diesel ran, the 24 was its debut. Some of the stuff I read said it should make a decent showing.
Phil

The Audi Diesel Runs in the ALMS series. The 24 hrs at Daytona is sanctioned by the Grand Am series. They were doing testing at Sebring a few weeks ago (Whisper quiet I hear). It will compete in the 24 Hours of LeMans

Sorry George I was really busy. When the race was done I hadn't slept for about 36 hours! At the 20 hr mark we had to change the gearbox! We had quite the audience in garage area.

Jeff

Last Tango
02-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Nice shot of the two GTO.R's crossing the finish line together. I'm a Pontiac GTO (new and old) fan.
But I really rooted for the 59 car. I have for the last 35 years.
Would have been nice if the two Brumos Racing Porsche Daytona Prototypes, numbers 58 and 59, could have done the same. Instead, 59 crashed out, again, near the end. Same as last time. Same as EVERY time they put J.C. France behind the wheel. The business relationship between the Bob Snodgrass of Brumos Porsche, and the France family, has been a blessing and and embarassment. Good for sportscars, good for racing. Bad because as part of the "deal" they insisted on their little brother being allowed to drive as part of the Hurley Haywood lead team in the 59 car. Funny how nobody in NASCAR will let him drive anything there...

Last Tango
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
P.S. I had pretty good seats this year. Suite 513 in the Nextel Tower, immediately behind the Start/Finish line. It is really good to know people. I also parked the 996 in the infield in the Porsche Paddock with my fellow PCA'ers. Easy walk through the new West Tunnel, into the stands.

24 Hours crowd is NOT a bleachers 'n' beer crowd like the NASCAR types. The INFIELD is THE place to be, because the cars race right past your face only feet away at some points of the track. The sportscar folks aren't as easily lined up and sat down as the NASCAR folks. 24 Hours crowd wants to move around a lot to different parts of the track and through the various groups in the infield. A bleacher seat is just a noisy uncomfortable place to be for more than 30 minutes. This is not 2 hours on the couch in the living room with some dumb bitch hoofing fresh cold ones for the glazed-over NASCAR watchers.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE NASCAR. I will be at the Twin 125's next week, home on the couch for the 500, and back in the stands for the Pepsi 400 on the 4th of July (I will also be back in Nextel Tower Suite 519 (Thanks UPS!) for the Brumos 250 three nights before that).
Daytona can be sooooo exciting, no matter WHAT kind of racing is happening there. National GoKart Championships between Christmas and New Years every year, Bike week 3 times a year. Oh, yeah, BABY! I have also done two Skip Barber Racing schools and two races there in Formula Dodge. Plus Rennfest II, Turkey Rod Run each year at Thanksgiving, ...

Last Tango
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
As long as I am hogging this thread and bragging, I almost forgot to tell you that in 2001 I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience there. The ALL DAY DRIVE THE CARS YOURSELF one. I still wake up in sweats over that day. Total R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the professional NASCAR drivers who can go three wide into Turn One and Turn Three. Scared me silly to go ONE WIDE at 160 MPH into those turns in a "near-beer" NEXTEL Cup car. Thank GOD I didn't have to SHIFT after I left the pits and got up onto the banking! How do you double clutch the downshift turns in action that is thick and hot like Bristol? My hat is off to all 43 Starters at every Cup or Busch or Truck Race.
TRUCKS! My GOD! 70/30 weight distribution fore and aft????