PDA

View Full Version : Long Tow

Reedy
02-03-2006, 08:40 AM
All you guys who trailer your Donzi's great distances, what would be on your "extra" list of things to take with you? I will be towing to Powell this summer, along with a few others, about 2,000 miles roundtrip. I know to have the trailer in near perfect shape, but any suggestions from other Roadtrip Happy boaters would be greatly appreciated.......

mrfixxall
02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
My trailering kit consists of.

1) 1 extra wheel hub.

2) 1 tub of wheel bearing greece.(marine)

3) 1 inner and outter wheel bearing kit with seal.

4) 1 spare tire.

5)a jump box with a on board air compressor.

6)Brake fluid for serge brakes.

7) rags and hand cleaner.

8) 1 can of fix a flat.

9) and a tire plug kit.

10) misc tools

and i go back to the trailer and feel the wheel bearing hubs and tires at every fill up.

hope this helps.

mike

ooooya,thanx joel....i forgot the gps or no i didnt..my cell phone already has it in it..(TELENAV)it works on any phone with gps $20.00 a month unlimited useage...

Schnook
02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I would bring a Tundra:)
What route are you taking? I'd try to avoid mountains as much as I could. I know I-20 west of here has a long uphill grade that's murder. Also get one of those books truckers have that show where the next gas station is, as I'm sure you know, MPG is significantly different when towing, and there's not always gas at the next exit. Don't ask how I learned this. :bawling: Outside of that, Mr Fixall covered it pretty well.

joel3078
02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Add light bulbs to the list. The trucker books are also great. But this one is friggen top notch. http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

Works on a laptop (even the low end ones) via USB port, has a much bigger display than a typical car gps, has the turn by turn with voice prompts, and is only 130 bucks. Plug the laptop into your cigarette lighter as laptop batteries only last 2-3 hours typically. The gps for your car systems are 500-2000 bucks. 130 bucks for the garmin 18 is cheap! Drove 5,250 flawless miles on our roadtrip last year with this rig. The garmin 18 gps system shows you damn near everything including the phone # for the hotels and so you can call in advance to see if they have rooms. Gas stations, rest stops, food, airports, things to see, side streets, lakes, rivers, etc. Don't leave home without it.

Reedy
02-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Tundra?
I'm pulling a boat 2000 miles man!
If Chevy is good enought to power the Donzi, then it will be good enough to power my truck......

MrsDigger
02-03-2006, 03:38 PM
1. Toilet paper
2. Glock
3. Cell phone and address book

ChromeGorilla
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
If Chevy is good enought to power the Donzi, then it will be good enough to power my truck......

Amen brother!

Reedy
02-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Sig Ok?:fire:

Schnook
02-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Tundra?
I'm pulling a boat 2000 miles man!
I pulled my 27ZX from Vegas to Dallas with a 6 year old Tundra. 65-70 mph. Gas milleage went in the can though. I'm not trusting a lot of same age Chevys to do the same thing, and I'm a Chevy guy. I probably just jinxed myself.
MrsDigger - I'm curious, why the Glock and the address book? Any connection?

RedDog
02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
1. Toilet paper
2. Glock
3. Cell phone and address book

would that be 9mm or 40 cal?

mrfixxall
02-03-2006, 08:59 PM
would that be 9mm or 40 cal?

Or a Ak47 double barrel oozi shotgun:lookaroun

MrsDigger
02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I was actually thinking of Digger, when his truck broke down on the way to AOTH, and he was stuck at a rest area in the boat...while the Ford was towed away to be repaired. The Glock is a .45...the toilet paper...well, um, that should be obvious...and the cell phone and address book..well, in case you break down anywhere near another one of us Donzi folks--at the very least, look us up and call, and we can tow you and your boat to a safe location and offer you 3 hots and a warm shower.

Mac
02-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Do you who carry across state lines have an FFL or do you just figure the chances of getting caught are slim? Get caught in MA with a handgun without a CC permit for MA or a FFL and you would have a serious problem.

DonCig
02-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Most important item in my opinion is having plenty of time.
If you have great brakes and plenty of power, take I-70 thru the mountains. If less than perfect towing setup, take the flat desert routes.

Don

Formula Jr
02-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Spare set of tiedowns.

You will also want to study how the tiedowns "rub" on your boat if they do. And pad the bow stop. Do not run with a cover on your boat. I also use the plastic collars to relieve the drive in the up position - don't forget to take these off.
In that area, a 5 gal gas can is a must have.
Where the tiedowns hook on to your trailer, put a little grease here.
Also watch the tiedown straps at speed and see if they want to flap or vibrate in the wind. You can break the airflow just by tieing on a rag sometimes. But you do not want them strumming the whole way.
A really good spot light is also useful.

Extreme advice would be to buy an extra u-bolt for the bow. I've lost two of those on a long tow and since donzis don't have much in the way of cleats, this is an important hard tiedown point.

Dr. Dan
02-05-2006, 06:17 PM
:wavey: Well Poodles list is pretty comprehensive, and there are some other good suggestions here.

I Tow over 15,000 miles a season on average, and I get lessons all of the time, one of the little Tricks I learned is to use Velcro Straps that you can pick up in any True Value Store, about 1/2" Wide and maybe 6" long i use them to secure the loose ends of my Tie Down Straps on the Cover....I have a serious cover and I use chaffing Gear to protect the finish.

The Velcro Straps help to prevent chaffing from the wind at speed.

I also always have at least one Jack Stand , just in case I do get Tire Trouble or worse.

Also Bring some Lumber, a 18" or so long 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 gives a nice square flat surface for Jacking or support, also a short 4 x 6 , or 6 x 6 ... serve as wheel blocks, added height reduction or whatever.

When I am real Anal, I carry a Garden Sprayer(2 Gallon) filled with water, use it to spray off boat after running and for clean up at the Ramp, never enough water around when ya need it to wipe it down.

And I like the new Gladiator Falsh Lights with the Rubber Bases, and Angled Shape, great to use under Boat or while working in tight spaces, when no ones around to hold the light.

Also locks, amke sure your Wheels on the Trailer, Coupler, Hitch or whatever are secure....

Check your safety Cables and or chain....

Doc :D