PDA

View Full Version : Lake Winni Speed Limit.... a sad tale

Woodsy
02-03-2006, 07:20 AM
It looks like the minority or hi-performance boater got slammed by the majority of cookie cutter boaters. The NH House of Reps voted to pass HB-162, 45day/25night speed limit for ALL NH waterways. There was an amendment to except the ocean, but there was quibbling over where the boundary of the ocean actually begins. The bill also ties speeding violations to your drivers license....

Anybody want to buy a 26ZX, mint condition with only 100hrs? Seriously? I am going to get a ZF series boat...

Woodsy

PS: Poodle... your pkg is boxed and will be shipped on monday. I will ping you the tracking number when I have it.

Sam
02-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear that, that really sucks :bawling: .

Islander
02-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Sure goes with the state motto of "Live Free or Die".

roadtrip se
02-03-2006, 11:16 AM
that was going on between Audofin and some of loonies who supported this bill over on OSO last night.

Basically, it came down to a few folks who own lake front and islands on Winni trying to take the place private. Totally blows.

A sad day for the bandits.

Of course, the local law enforcement is on record as stating that this sort of law will be unenforceable, so I say tune that ZX up, don't get rid of it Woodsy.

MrsDigger
02-06-2006, 12:19 PM
It usually takes the Grunter a week or two to get delivered down here--the last we heard, only the House had passed it...Does the state Senate have any say in this? I am unfamiliar with NH politics...sounds like it's "Live Free or Die...unless you are a Boater, in which case, live less free than everyone else..."

MrsDigger
02-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Well, I did some online research and the bill takes effect Jan. 1, 2007. (What the heck does the NH senate do? They don't even get involved in this???)

Kind of makes you want to suck all the high-speed enjoyment you can out of this summer, doesn't it?

TuxedoPk
02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
This thread is not in compliance with the no-politics policy of the board and should cease immediately. :crossfing

MrsDigger
02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Duly noted. I apologize to all those offended by the political nature of my non-boating-specific comments.

ChromeGorilla
02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Crappy news for sure. But like the LEO's said... hard to enforce.... What do they do.... drive around at 45 mph and if you pass them you were speeding. And if he was running 45 mph was that on his liquid speedo or gps...... Or will the run radar traps....:boggled: :rolleyes: Surely they can't write you up based on their judgement of speed, i.e no calibrated device stating exact "illegal" speed..... it would be hard pressed to hold up in court. Anyway I hope it isn't too bad.... I wouldn't wish this upon any Boston fan...

TuxedoPk
02-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Duly noted. I apologize to all those offended by the political nature of my non-boating-specific comments.

The problem isn't that your comment was non-boating specific, it just mentioned anything having to do with politics.

Woodsy's thread, although boating and Donzi event specific would have been out of line had it been a few days later as it mentioned both a branch of state government by name and even a specific 'xyz' that was passed.

TuxedoPk
02-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Scott- Winni does seem to have a solid reputation for 'enforcing' on the lake.

At a top end of 45, have they reduced the restriction on how close you can be running next to another boat?

TuxedoPk
02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Matty- Didn't know that Greenwood Lake had a speed limit. Nice to find out after a full summer of boating on the lake, many days with my sails let fully out :)

Interesting point you brought up about sea planes. I'm sure that plane we watched landing was doing over 45 :D

Dr. Dan
02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
:spongebob I met a lady this weekend(Atlantic City Boat Show) who worked for Formula, she lives on Lake Winnie...she implied it did need to be passed by the State Senate.

Anyway, lake George has been this way ... and I know Geo and a few others go at least 54 or even faster at times when the wind is really blowing strong...and no one is looking.

Gee Beaver we better sell our fast boats and buy a friggin Canoe? :beer:

Guess it means worse case, you Winnie Folks might have to Travel to the other Donzi Events so you can air out your "Canoes?"

Lets see 1000 Islands, Lake George DustOff, Chesapeake Bay, Fall Picnic @ Lake George, Sarasota Owners Rally... hmmmm gee this means trailering too.

Gosh, wonder if the Harley will fit in the back of the Truck too... hmmm.

Nah, it might rain, gas prices might be too high, my throat hurts, my Ass itches...yep I better buy a Row Boat.

Winnies a big lake with a serious quantity of Patrol Dudes and Dudettes...but there has to be some stretches that are still possible to cruise without developing a personal relationship with the Lake Patrol?

My Sympathies...now where did I put that Senators phone number?

Doc of Non Political Humor :beer:

And that Ain't Funny... I Don't Care Who Ya Are :biggrin:

MrsDigger
02-07-2006, 05:15 AM
I noticed when reading the amended bill that any violations for which you are convicted will go against your motor vehicle driving record. Does NH use a point system? If so, it therefore becomes possible for one to lose his automobile driving privileges for the manner in which he drives his boat...

Dr. Dan
02-07-2006, 05:38 AM
I noticed when reading the amended bill that any violations for which you are convicted will go against your motor vehicle driving record. Does NH use a point system? If so, it therefore becomes possible for one to lose his automobile driving privileges for the manner in which he drives his boat...

:smash: I know up here in the Bay when it comes to Alcohol & your boat ...it's treated just like you were in your car, and it does go against your record and or license. Pretty sure this is common in most juridictions.

Doc :bighug:

dfunde01
02-07-2006, 09:04 AM
This thread is not in compliance with the no-politics policy of the board and should cease immediately. :crossfing
Tux,

I am wondering what I missed on board rules. How does discussing legislation that directly impacts high performance boating fall within the pall of a political rather than a legal discussion. Would you share your definition of "politics".

Dave

Marlin275
02-07-2006, 09:06 AM
After a week in New Hampshire on an over patrolled lake
its good to hit the Hudson River with no regulations
on speed or noise.
Hell they have a poker run each year
with boats faster than helicopters.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3845&d=1087859149

Woodsy
02-07-2006, 09:30 AM
As of right now, HB-162 is an unfunded mandate. It has been passed by the House of Representatives and now has to go before the Senate. There are only 24 Senators so it will be an interesting debate. The Senate may choose to kick the bill back to the House in order to properly fund the bill. They may also alter the bill then send it back for a vote, or they can approve it as it is (Highly unlikely).

They have tagged speeding offenses on the water to your automobile drivers license, however, they have not included a fee structure. That will have to be established before it is passed into law.

HB-162 has no bearing on snowmobiles... you can drive as fast as your sled can go on Lake Winnipesaukee providing there is enough snow & ice. NH trail speed for snowmobiles is 45 MPH.

Woodsy

The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.

dfunde01
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
As of right now, HB-162 is an unfunded mandate. It has been passed by the House of Representatives and now has to go before the Senate. There are only 24 Senators so it will be an interesting debate. The Senate may choose to kick the bill back to the House in order to properly fund the bill. They may also alter the bill then send it back for a vote, or they can approve it as it is (Highly unlikely).
They have tagged speeding offenses on the water to your automobile drivers license, however, they have not included a fee structure. That will have to be established before it is passed into law.
Woodsy
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.

Legal question. Unless a valid automobile drivers license is required to operate a boat in NH would the penalty on your license that impacted your ability to operate a motor vehicle survive a legal challenge?

Dave

MrsDigger
02-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Just from reading the Grunter, it seems obvious that more people whack themselves or others by snowmobiling on the lake than they do boating...

Thanks for the great info, Woodsy!

DonziJon
02-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Politics:?? I LOVE POLITICS. I've been away for awhile. (George??) This speed limit thing IS politics..but it obviously will have an effect on boating....DONZI boating, since very few "Bayliners" do much over 45 and WE are the minority. Then someone mentioned flying. As a licensed private pilot, and one who spends some time every year on Lake Winni, I have observed 3 float planes in the Winter Harbor area alone, as well as some "powered' hang gliders on floats which are not real airplanes. (Per the FAA)
Airplane landing areas are deliniated on the lake charts. A powered hang glider can take off and land without exceeding 45 MPH. A real airplane, such as a Super Cub on floats, or some such will need 60+ MPH to lift off. Since there are probably only 3 on the lake...(As a pilot, I notice such things as I putt around in my Donzi checking out the realestate.) It may be over for seaplane flight on the lake. Seaplanes don't operate at night on the water. Just an observation from someone who loves Donzis ..and Flying. : DJ