PDA

View Full Version : Morning News and Other Disasters

MrsDigger
02-03-2006, 06:29 AM
I get up every morning at 5:00 a.m. with Digger to keep him company as he gets ready for work, and most days, I go upstairs to scan my favorite news sites on the web after he heads to work. Nothin' but good news...

From the Detroit Free Press...a deranged killer who bludgeoned his mother to death and ate her eyeballs in 2000 is scheduled to be released.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006602020646

From multiple news sources: NAACP leader Julian Bond equates Republicans with Nazis in a speech at Fayetteville State U. in North Carolina, asserting that "The Republican Party would have the American flag and the swastika flying side by side."

On local channel 3 here in Hampton Roads: Cruise ship vanishes with 1300 aboard off coast of Saudi Arabia. Man accused of shooting two Mormon missionaries appears in court. Puppies stuffed with heroin.

:banghead:

Every day, similar stuff...except today...

Cross-dressing male director of James Bond movie arrested for soliciting sex from undercover policeMAN on Santa Monica Blvd. All this AND Leif Garrett. Who needs TV?

Carl C
02-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Here's a site that's sure to brighten up your mornings. It goes good with coffee and danish. www.ogrish.com

MrsDigger
02-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I sure hope you didn't mean that as a joke. I've watched videos of the people Cindy Sheehan calls "freedom fighters" cutting off American heads with steak knives, because I wanted to see and understand the type of people we as Americans, and my husband, as a Marine, are fighting against.

Pictures of the aftermath of an IED attack, pictures of terrorists hiding their faces in the same way the KKK hid theirs under bedsheets, committing atrocities against non-combatants while spouting "Allahu akhbar" and "death to America" are images that all people need to understand, and perhaps see, if only to expose themselves to the reality of evil and hatred in our world. While I agree they are covered under OUR constitutional guarantee of free speech, I don't think it is appropriate or even human to view them as mere entertainment, or for some sick form of titillation.

I sure hope you didn't mean that as a joke...

Patti
02-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Not to mention this little tidbit...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060203/ap_on_re_us/gay_bar_shooting;_ylt=Ar0RDgJnKZvndE0Dm5gFVKFvzwcF ;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--
Psychopath teenager using a hatchet on patrons in a gay bar..quite sad ..

joel3078
02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=MrsDigger]I sure hope you didn't mean that as a joke. I've watched videos of the people Cindy Sheehan calls "freedom fighters" cutting off American heads with steak knives, because I wanted to see and understand the type of people we as Americans, and my husband, as a Marine, are fighting against. QUOTE]

The full length, can't play it on cnn, video on Ogrish of the guy getting decapped while he is gasping for air is the sickest ass thing I have ever seen. I'd hate to stoop down to any terrorist's level but you wanna see some chit change! Start nabbing random towel heads living here in USA, put em on CNN or Fox and chop their head off while they are still alive. Where the hell is John Wayne, Dirty Harry, and Norman Schwarzkopf. These guys kicked ass on the bad guys, blatently advertised it, and most America loved it. Might be time to start kicken some ass again and show it on TV. :fire:

Carl C
02-03-2006, 10:01 AM
No MrsDigger, absolutely not a joke. I admit I spent some time veiwing ogrish when I first got on line out of curiosity. Some of the images are the most horrible things I've seen and I will never forget the beheading images. The accident pictures don't bother me as much as accidents happen but the brutality of man against man or animal is horrible.It does make the daily news stories seem tame in comparison though and maybe that was my intent. What is upsetting is that kids can and do veiw these images. PS - you admit in your post that you have also watched the beheading videos.

Carl C
02-03-2006, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=MrsDigger]I sure hope you didn't mean that as a joke. I've watched videos of the people Cindy Sheehan calls "freedom fighters" cutting off American heads with steak knives, because I wanted to see and understand the type of people we as Americans, and my husband, as a Marine, are fighting against. QUOTE]
The full length, can't play it on cnn, video on Ogrish of the guy getting decapped while he is gasping for air is the sickest ass thing I have ever seen. I'd hate to stoop down to any terrorist's level but you wanna see some chit change! Start nabbing random towel heads living here in USA, put em on CNN or Fox and chop their head off while they are still alive. Where the hell is John Wayne, Dirty Harry, and Norman Schwarzkopf. These guys kicked ass on the bad guys, blatently advertised it, and most America loved it. Might be time to start kicken some ass again and show it on TV. :fire: Joel, I or any civilized person would be incapable of such an act. Yes, people die in wars but at least be humane enough to give them a quick death. These ragheads are barbarians and must be stopped Islamic law is sick and perverted. Iran is hanging teenagers for being gay and the taliban decapitates teachers for teaching women. I usually stay away from politics here but had to add my 2 cents this time :kaioken: You want to get contrversial?: Fuk mohammed and allah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schnook
02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I think videos like those should be required viewing for adults. People forget why we're fighting. Remember the months after 9-11? As one, this country was ready to go kick someone's a$$. Now that the war didn't end in 8 one hour episodes, people want to move on and forget about it. It's not going away. When the next terrorist attack comes, and they won't stop trying, the same people saying "get out now" will be crying "Dubya, why didn't you do something". We need to remember. Oh yeah, I liked the story about Clinton calling Bush a foreign policy failure. This coming from someone who's idea of foreign policy is smoking Cuban cigars!

TuxedoPk
02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I've changed a lot since my 20s. I can remember wanting to experience watching Faces of Death; now in my 40s I've been exposed to enough death, violence and negativity that I'd prefer NOT to expose myself to it further.

From a human perspective of what value does watching a beheading have? Are we so insensitive that just hearing that a horrible act has taken place isn't enough- we need to watch it for ourselves? Crimes against children- do we need to watch videos of these too in order to be emotionally moved by the heinous attrocities?

I agree that it is wrong that minors should have access to a site like this, but I'm also of the opinion that adults who submit themselves to the constant viewing of sites like this will also be harmed. I'm not suggesting that it should be banned by the government, but I'm of the opinion that people are better off deciding for themselves not to be subjected to this type of material.

Joel- If America were to be run in the Dirty Harry fashion that you suggest it would hardly be a place worth living, much less defending.

Schnook-Do you seriously believe that those types of images have anything to do with why we are fighting? Whether you believe Iraq was a just war over a true concern about WMD or whether you believe it had to do with oil, it definately didn't have to do with the types of images or the attrocities being spoken of on this site.

Schnook
02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Tux, Tux, Tux, We feed you, dress you, send you to private school - this is what we get?:boggled:
Seriously though, the point I was trying to make is people need to remember why we have to do the things we do. Here's what I believe: there's going to be a fight with these people. Round one was here, we changed the venue. I'll assume you've seen the images mentioned. These atrocities took place over there. Now I'll ask you, do you honestly believe that if they came over here, they wouldn't commit the same atrocities?, to infidels like us? By the way, good point about changing values as we get older, I agree. With you. Really.:biggrin:

Craig S
02-03-2006, 12:26 PM
good reason not to look.
bad feng shui

TuxedoPk
02-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I'll assume you've seen the images mentioned.
No I have not. I clicked the link, went to the site and did open up a few items. Saw some bloody thumbnails and knew I preferred to not look at the images.

At 41, I'm pretty confident that my not having previously watched beheading videos will jeopardize either my personal or my country's security.

Carl C
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
No I have not. I clicked the link, went to the site and did open up a few items. Saw some bloody thumbnails and knew I preferred to not look at the images.
At 41, I'm pretty confident that my not having previously watched beheading videos will jeopardize either my personal or my country's security. Good move, Tux. Some of this stuff gave me tension headaches for some time afterward and I still can't get the worst out of my head. I do not go to ogrish anymore. Why did I veiw it in the first place? I really don't know but somehow I had to see it but I certainly did not enjoy it.

joel3078
02-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Good move, Tux. Some of this stuff gave me tension headaches for some time afterward and I still can't get the worst out of my head. I do not go to ogrish anymore. Why did I veiw it in the first place? I really don't know but somehow I had to see it but I certainly did not enjoy it.

Carl I agree with ya - one you see something that crazy, you will never forget it and it is disturbing as heck. To the rest of ya on this thread, I know we don't want to bring back the wild wild west days. I do love the Clint Eastwood movies however. Got to visit his town Carmel by the sea in California last year. War is crazy, always has been and always will be. I'm not sure anyone is a winner when a war is over. Sometimes human nature is just very sick and twisted.

Chili 18
02-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Sometimes human nature is just very sick and twisted.
Truth is stranger than fiction.

What ever happened to the "dawning of the age of aquarius" We need more flower children, peace love drugs... etc.. I'm still thinking prozack in the worlds water supply wouldnt be a bad thing. May prevent more pain than flouride....

sigh I really wanna go boating!

MrsDigger
02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Once I read the disclaimer on the linked site in question, I closed the window. I've seen enough. I know what we're fighting against, and what we're fighting for.

By the way, I've heard that Prozac has the distressing side effect of virtually nullifying one's sex drive. Please to not put it in MY water supply...we're still newlyweds!

ChromeGorilla
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
At 41,

Dude, your 41 ?!?!?!? OMG...I though at least 55.....:biggrin.: :wink: :rlol: :garfield:

TuxedoPk
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Dude, your 41 ?!?!?!? OMG...I though at least 55.....:biggrin.: :wink: :rlol: :garfield:

That's only because of the fine physical shape I keep myself in ;)

Why have 6 pack abs when you can have a keg:cartman:

Cuda
02-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I think videos like those should be required viewing for adults. People forget why we're fighting. Remember the months after 9-11? As one, this country was ready to go kick someone's a$$. Now that the war didn't end in 8 one hour episodes, people want to move on and forget about it. It's not going away. When the next terrorist attack comes, and they won't stop trying, the same people saying "get out now" will be crying "Dubya, why didn't you do something". We need to remember. Oh yeah, I liked the story about Clinton calling Bush a foreign policy failure. This coming from someone who's idea of foreign policy is smoking Cuban cigars!
Very well put. While I think all war is atrocious, if we're going to fight one, let's fight it over there. Remember, we didn't fire the first shot. I don't care if they found WMD's or not, now we have the terrorist in one spot over there, instead of over here blowing up more buildings.

I also agree the bleeding heart liberals will be the first to cry out, why didn't we protect them.

Carl C
02-03-2006, 08:51 PM
sigh I really wanna go boating! Exactly - I think we all do.:boat: