PDA

View Full Version : My 2 year anniversary here.....

gold-n-rod
02-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Two years ago, I was on study leave and was pounding away at my dissertation. To ease the tedium, I would surf the web. One day, I found this site. I would linger over the Donzi girls and boats (at least I think there were boats) and then snap back to work. I had the vague notion that someday, I'd have a Donzi.

This was a foolish notion. My family was so in love with our 24 foot cuddy. There was just no way they would trade it for a Classic.

Finally, I joined the site and started posting. My first post inquired as to if a 22' Classic could be outfitted with a swim platform and a cushion over the rear hatch so as to keep the family happy. Of course, this was not meant to be. A 22 doesn't easily replace a beloved family water truckster.

Well, several months later the degree was completed and I had a serious health issue (a heart attack) that fairly well brought my boating to a screeching halt for the summer of '04.

By the time celebrated my 1st anniversary here, I was again dreaming of a Donzi. By this time, I was thinking of becoming a 2 boat family; keeping the big boat and ordering a new 16 Classic. Yet, I couldn't make the numbers work. A few months later, I had a nice promotion and found a slightly used 16 nearly a thousand miles away that was equipped EXACTLY they way I would spec out a new one.

At this juncture, I had my first opportunity to experience the Donzi brotherhood. Brad Verd spent most of a Saturday afternoon looking the 16 over for me and posting a ton of pics for me to review. He even spent additional time on the phone afterwards, giving me a blow-by-blow of his inspection. With this info in hand, my dad and I made the trek to Virginia from Michigan to deal on the boat. Of course, we towed it home.

During the summer of '05, I had great fun on the 16. I spent my 50th on the boat! I met others here, including Sam, who shipped me a prop to try, and wouldn't take money until I was satisfied with it. In August, I met up with Tony and his family at Torch Lake for a GREAT day of boating. Old and new 16s, running the lake. It was very cool.

I have yet to get to an official Donzi get-to-gether, but I hope to soon. You guys are too cool to pass up.

If you got this far, all I can say is that you have waaaay too much time on your hands. But if you did, thanks for reading.

And many more :beer:

Sam
02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I was kinda wondering when you were going to quit :boggled: .........just kidding. Now drag the boat down to Lk Cumberland in May and lets get wet :wavey: .

Sam :anchor:

Tony
02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Great post Randy. Some may want to take your "man card" away for being so sentimental, but since it's about Donzis you are still safe.

Cherrie and I have made our reservations for AOTH in May, you need to do the same. It is a premier event in a very scenic location...not to mention being expertly organized! A strong Michigan contigent is usual, if our schedules match we could caravan down. As of right now we are planning on leaving Thursday morning. If I remember correctly (this is iffy, since I am so f-'in old!) it is about a 9 hour drive from Lansing.

Carl C
02-01-2006, 08:27 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :beer: And sorry to hear about that heart attack.

gold-n-rod
02-01-2006, 08:32 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :beer: And sorry to hear about that heart attack.

No apology needed. It was the best thing to ever happen to me. I call it a "good heart attack." It didn't kill me and since then, I've never been more healthy. It was a good lesson..... you can't outbehave your genes, so you have to change your behaviors. I did and I'm healthier than ever!

:wavey:

Formula Jr
02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Eight years and counting. Back when there were 200 members and three posts a week. I think "Donzi" was the first thing I ever entered into a search engine. It was altavista then and free dialup.
Some of us pre-date the big crash of 1999/2000, and all the cool stuff thats here, like local pic/vid hosting.
Scot V. made all that happen.