PDA

View Full Version : Bilt Rite pedestals and sliders

WOT-sup
02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Getting ready to install these onto new floor in my project '72 18'. What is the 'standard' orientation for the control arms? For example are both slider arms on outboard or inboard side of seats; or are both to left/right side of seats, etc.
Anyone have pics showing general installation layout/dimensions etc? Any advise in general on the installation.
Looks like this is it....my goal is to be in the water by summer (THIS summer!).
Thanks, Brad

Ranman
02-02-2006, 08:47 AM
If speaking of the Garelick sliders with T handle controls being mounted on top of square, "molded in" pedestals, I mounted them with the controls facing outboard (toward the gunwales). They are harder to use in this location because of the narrow clearance between the seat and gunwale and also they're close to the floor. I did this so I could still get my center "cooler" open easily (need to get to the beer without hassle) and becaus I was afraid of stepping on them when moving around the oh-so spacious cockpit.

Lenny
02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Do you have the fiberglass bump on the floor or are you using full aluminum pedestals?

If you have a "glass bump" on the floor, the seat base rails are terrible and on mine I upgraded them. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38287&highlight=pedestal

Regardless, the knobs face each other on the inside of the seat bases and make cooler hatch removal a pain in the a$$. That's the way it is. :(

:D

WOT-sup
02-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the responces....these are the old-style, circular base, attach directly-to-the-deck pedestals. The seat mount that sits on top of them has a swivel control rod on one side of the mount and a slider control arm on the opposite side of the mount.

I'm considering setting them up with the longer slider arms to the outboard side on both seats. This creates the most clearance in the limited space between the seats for cooler access, place to step etc.

If done this way it puts the locking mechanism for one seat on the front side of the pedestal and the mechanism for the other seat on the aft side of the pedestal.

Looks a little funky when viewed from the rear bench, but probably worth the extra room created.
I'd send a pic, but I'm on the road.
Brad

Ranman
02-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm considering setting them up with the longer slider arms to the outboard side on both seats. This creates the most clearance in the limited space between the seats for cooler access, place to step etc.

In my opinion, this is the better way. Seat adjustments are typically infrequent so the extra space, etc outweighs the adjusting hassle in my case.

Cuda
02-02-2006, 02:48 PM
The ones in my Minx both face inboard. I hate them. Those are ankle busting machines. I bet there isn't four inches between them.

tmdog
02-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Both of my ratchet type sliders face the outboard. It's agreed it results in more room for center hatch. Like Ranman says, once the seats are set, seldom they are moved.

WOT-sup
02-04-2006, 07:14 AM
From my on-the-road perspective...think I'll go with both slider levers outboard and both swivel arms inboard. This will create the most space in the center section for cooler lid access and 'foot' clearance (and also for the dog!).
Thanks for the good inputs, more seat questions to follow in a new thread.
Brad