PDA

View Full Version : Water space restricted for Super Bowl

Carl C
02-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Here's a paragraph from today's Detroit area newspaper: "An area of the Detroit River a little more than a mile long was closed off Tuesday morning until the day after the Super Bowl from the Detroit shore for 300 yards outward. Violators of the restricted zone face up to $32,000 in fines." $32,000 IN FINES????????? What the hell are they thinking?????:shocking:

onesubdrvr
02-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Here's a paragraph from today's Detroit area newspaper: "An area of the Detroit River a little more than a mile long was closed off Tuesday morning until the day after the Super Bowl from the Detroit shore for 300 yards outward. Violators of the restricted zone face up to $32,000 in fines." $32,000 IN FINES????????? What the hell are they thinking?????:shocking:
I Imagine your hull ID #'s on the side of your boat would be the last of your worries at that point!

Wayne

Rootsy
02-01-2006, 07:24 AM
my question is... who in their right mind would be on the Detroit river in February anyway... hell even the freighters are laid up right now... :bonk:

MrsDigger
02-01-2006, 07:28 AM
I imagine they are thinking that they remember the U.S.S. Cole...and also they are probably thinking that a guy on a boat with a shoulder-fired missile could sure enough hit the stadium and cause boucoup damage. And I bet they are thinking that the Super Bowl is a uniquely American event, with a a large number of attendees and a VERY large worldwide viewing audience. It is also a delightfully soft target. Smart thinking, if you ask me.

In my humble opinion, if the waterway is restricted, honor the restriction, and thank the Coast Guard for protecting you.

Carl C
02-01-2006, 08:05 AM
I imagine they are thinking that they remember the U.S.S. Cole...and also they are probably thinking that a guy on a boat with a shoulder-fired missile could sure enough hit the stadium and cause boucoup damage. And I bet they are thinking that the Super Bowl is a uniquely American event, with a a large number of attendees and a VERY large worldwide viewing audience. It is also a delightfully soft target. Smart thinking, if you ask me.
In my humble opinion, if the waterway is restricted, honor the restriction, and thank the Coast Guard for protecting you.
There is no ice on the river this year and there may be some yachts out there. I have no problem with the restriction. A nuclear weapon there would take out all of downtown including the Super Bowl. But let's not turn this into a revenue raiser. Cordon off the area and make sure no-one is able to accidently wander to close.

MrsDigger
02-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Maybe they thought the fine was a greater deterrent than a big sign reading, "Stop, or my mom will shoot!"

Greg K
02-01-2006, 08:18 AM
....you're kidding...missile from the river????? :banghead:
The stadium is a mile or more from the river.
If someone wanted to do something like that, they wouldn't be doing it from the water.

boxy
02-01-2006, 08:19 AM
There is no ice on the river this year and there may be some yachts out there. I have no problem with the restriction. A nuclear weapon there would take out all of downtown including the Super Bowl. But let's not turn this into a revenue raiser. Cordon off the area and make sure no-one is able to accidently wander to close.

I doubt a $32000 fine is viewed as a revenue raiser.
Dinging some guy for non-conforming registration numbers, and illegal exhaust on the other hand is like shooting fish in a barrel ...... :D

boxy
02-01-2006, 08:23 AM
....you're kidding...missile from the river????? :banghead:
The stadium is a mile or more from the river.
If someone wanted to do something like that, they wouldn't be doing it from the water.

Greg, how would we know that, there are a lot of nice stadiums that are on the edge of rivers.

Tony
02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Ticking time-bomb syndrome...

ChromeGorilla
02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Laast year the water around ALLTELL stadium in Jacksonville were heavily patrol/ restricted as well. You could pass by the stadium but your vessel would be boarded and searched prior..... The river was a big draw as there were ALOT of big dollar Yatchs in town for the festivities....