PDA

View Full Version : Donzi restoration

dubberstuff
01-31-2006, 09:03 PM
I recently took title to a 1967/1968? Donzi 16' Ski Sporter and would like to complete a full resotration of the boat. However, this is beyond my capability and I am therefore looking to hire someone to undertake this project. The boat is currently on Long Island in New York but could be brought most places in the Northeast. If there is anyone who is familiar with this work, lives in the Northeast and can complete the project by the summer please let me know. I can be reached at (516) 521-5680 or at <06ewb@williams.edu>

Regards,

Ward

BERTRAM BOY
01-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Ward,
Welcome to the board. Do you have any photos of the boat. That may be more helpful. Restoration is different things to different people.

BERTRAM BOY

Dr. Dan
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Ward,
Welcome to the board. Do you have any photos of the boat. That may be more helpful. Restoration is different things to different people.
BERTRAM BOY

:smash: I'll say!

Doc :wavey:

knots2u
02-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Paging Mr. Pearson, Paging Mr. Pearson! :biggrin:

Cuda
02-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Check with Jamie at Lakeside Restorations. I think he's in Pa. He's on this site as a sponsor. 570 639 2628

gcarter
02-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Ditto what Cuda said.

Rootsy
02-01-2006, 08:08 AM
any restoration needs to begin with a very thorough visual and hands on inspection to assess the overall deterioration of the coring, transom, stringers, glass structural and cosemetic damage, etc. Not ot mention the work required to the mechanical systems... to have a complete, deck off, everything touched restoration is going to be tough, IMO, to pull off by "summer".. at least early summer... unless someone is working on it (who knows exactly what they are doing) full time...

so please show us some photos... as many as you can take of different areas, from different angles... :)

JR

dubberstuff
02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Ward,
the only thing that might go in your favor there was a run of 67-68 donzi's that the deck was not cored it was solid glass with pvc struts for supports
the tank the stringers and transom are horses of a different color though

I noticed the pvc struts under the foredeck. I was not sure if that was original work or if someone had added them over the years as additional support. If the deck does not have the core, as you say might be the case, then would that explain why it is a little flexible when I stand on it?

Anyway, I will get some pics up shortly.

-Ward

dubberstuff
02-01-2006, 10:55 AM
here are some pics of the donzi.

BERTRAM BOY
02-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Ward,
Very cool boat. Check out this link to see what you're in for.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36261

BERTRAM BOY

Rob
02-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Ok, I'm curious: How many of you with old Ski Sporters have an access panel cut amidships in the back of the rear seat to access the raw water pump?

I'm thinking it must be pretty common because I can't see a way to change the impeller without this kind of access.

MOP
02-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Looks nice lots of luck with project you will enjoy it, I had a ton of fun with my 16.

Phil

straight jacket
02-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Well I can honestly say that you have a better one than I got ahold of. Mine struck a break wall and had a slit down the strake about three feet long, Then a tree fell on it and cracked the deck up bad. It is also delamminated. I'm in the process of a deck off resto, and have the boat flipped as we speak blue-printing the bottom. My stringers are ok, but now I'm a little concerned about what was said earlier abot the 67-68's having a pvc reinforced deck and not a cored one of which I have and no deck vents. i don't plan on having it done this summer but hopfully the next. We have to finish or 30 Scarab again. As soon as I can get this damn computer to up load my pics I will post them. Ever since i had this thing fixed it has been more screwed up. plus i need a scanner for the first set of pics but it is ugly let me tell you.

Tony
02-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Cool...two new posters, both in the process of some major resto work!
Good to see some Ski Sporters saved. My '67 does not have the access cutout, changing my impeller is doable from the hatch. Mine also has the pvc deck support, slight flex but I am kind of a skinny ****.
Keep the pics coming...I like the grumble green color!

dubberstuff
02-04-2006, 02:44 PM
nice project
looks like some work has been done to this boat as it has a 290 drive and center risers very unusual to see and older boat non thru hull?? wonder if that is original or done when it was repowered??
cool boat the vents are right for a 67 good luck

The engine and outdrive that the boat has now was installed in 1987. I am not sure as to the details of the engine other than it is a V8. I had considered a new engine package but think I may be better off doing a rebuild on the engine and outdrive. The previous owner noted that the outdrive (volvo 290) was very reliable and never had a problem with it. Does anyone have any opinions on a rebuild versus a completely new engine package? Which is more economical?

Thanks,

Ward

Scott Pearson
02-05-2006, 11:45 AM
As far as restoring your Donzi its all up to how crazy you want to go and how much money you are willing to spend. Most people who say they are "Restoring their Donzi" really dont. A paint job and some interior isnt a restoration to me. Not there is anything wrong with doing this. But call it what it is....A paint job and some interior.

Most restorations are very labor intensive and thats what costs all the money. Also you have to watch what you pay for. There is a ton of crappy workmanship. Even on brand new Donzi's. Just this past weekend I was at the Atlantic City boat show and looked at 2 brand new 22 foot Shelby GT's. I have to say that the detail on the boat was horrible. The paint work on a scale of 1-10 was a 3. If anyone has a chance to look at one of these boats check the transom out. They bolted everything on and then painted it. The boat in show had the bolts on the transom above the drive and they where about a 1/2 inch out. Paint, Sand scatches and overspray everywhere. This kinda stuff drives me nuts! Really bad spot in work on the boat in the show also. Even the 45 was bad. Sand scraches on the through hull hardware and just really bad workmanship. We looked at the Formulas and their workmanship was outstanding!

Ok...so now that I went off topic....Anywhoooo. Its all what you want to do or pay for. I do 95% of the work myself so its worth it for me and I dont have a ton of money tied up in my boats. I dont do the interior or the machine work on the engine also I dont do my own chroming. I do everthing else. Thats what costs the big $$$.

Hope this help!

Rob
02-05-2006, 02:26 PM
No circulating pump on my 302 (1971, H-M), just a raw water pump. Not the best set up, because there is no thermostat either. I can't get the temp much above 120. I replaced my temp gauge and sender because I thought it was broken until I figured that out :rolleyes:

The reason I asked is that I had always assumed the access hatch on my boat has been added, however I can't see any way to access the front of the engine without it.

dubberstuff
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
thanks for all the info and encouragement for this project. I will not be doing most of the work. At this moment I am anticipating the scope of the restoration to include:

Deck off
re-fiberglassed bow deck
fiberglass repair of rear bench seat
fiberglass repair of the dash
some sort of paint for the inner shell of the boat when the deck is off
rebuilt engine
rebuilt outdrive (although it does not need much work)
re-chromed grab rail
new paint

Also, I am considering having the exhaust reconfigured to its original setup but I am a little concerned with the noise. This boat will be used mainly for wakeboarding and tubing. How loud is the exhaust with a 350? Can I hear a sound system with the boat running?

sweet 16 1966
02-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Mattyboy,
Any idea if a 351 will fin in my 16 to relace the 302? Is it higher? I don't care to change the hatch.

Tony
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm no motor-head, but I think the 351 is wider and not taller. Moody Blue would know, he is a 351 guru. Others have opined that the extra weight of the 351 does not make it an advisable choice. You are better off "working" a 302 for an optimum weight to horsie ratio.

Shoot, Matty, that almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about!

:beer:

Rob
02-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Matty--My son has a digital camera. I'll try and take some pictures this weekend.

rob

sweet 16 1966
02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. Tweak the 302, sounds like the best option.

Rob
02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
The exhaust manifolds and risers on my 302 are as Matty describes. Where your engine was assembled generally determined what type of manifolds and risers were used. Those engines built in Long Beach had one style, those in NC another. If Matty is describing a set of original H-M manifolds and risers, they sound like the east cost version.

sweet 16 1966
02-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Mine are Interceptor. Wonder if I should upgrade. Surely, they are tired!