PDA

View Full Version : Drive poll

onesubdrvr
01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Several members here have painted their own drives with good results

Who here has painted their own drives? let's see 'um. What method of prep / prime / paint did you use?

Is anyone running a polished drive? let's see them too!

I've about got mine prepped and ready for paint, so am looking for ideas / suggestions / recommendations!

Thanks!
Wayne

gcarter
01-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Wayne, you might take a look at this......
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526
Prep is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!:yes:

onesubdrvr
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Wayne, you might take a look at this......
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526
Prep is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!:yes:
I agree, I'm making sure I take my time and get in all the nooks and crannies / etc. down to bare metal. I'll look into the paints you used, yours turned out superb!!

I wonder who voted for polishing??

Wayne

Wayne

Ed Donnelly
01-31-2006, 08:43 PM
I voted for polishing.
Why???
I am not the one that would spend the next hundred hours or so working on it.....:smile: .....Ed

onesubdrvr
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
I voted for polishing.
Why???
I am not the one that would spend the next hundred hours or so working on it.....:smile: .....Ed
That's exactly why I was wondering who voted for it :) :cistineb:

I don't think you see very many (read any) polished Volvo drives (except maybe a E-drive)

Only thing is, with the addition of the nose cone, that joint wouldn't look right I don't think

RedDog
02-01-2006, 07:51 AM
I just did this treatment to my lower - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41681&highlight=lower. The finish was crappy so I had it glass bead blasted and then polished like DonCig outlined. It looks great. Once the weather warms I will shoot it with clear urethane.

boxy
02-01-2006, 08:15 AM
I voted for polishing.
Why???
Ed, I think I got my polish vote in just before you, for the exact same reason I might add .... :D

Morgan's Cloud
02-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Your choices are very funny but for reasons of political correctness I choose not to pick one :biggrin:
Check out the link below courtesy of OSO ... 'James' seems to be really in the know on this stuff.
Like George said , it's all about the prep !
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117821

gcarter
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
You gotta paint the upper. No way around it. It has to be primed with lots of zinc in it. It's right at the waterline, and if any part of the finish will fail, it'll be the upper. I think if it were painted to match the hull, it'd look neat!!:cool:

maddad
02-01-2006, 02:48 PM
IMO there's something very right with the way a clean white Volvo drive looks,but I've been wrong before.

maddad
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
thank you, thank you.I'd first like to thank Tempo outdrive paint,for being idiot proof...

Chili 18
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Hmmm me like the scotchbright pad finished look. Wonder how an alpha ss lower would come out??? Have to pull it for the water pump change anyway. Hmmmmm

Chili 18
02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Agree, the volvo may look better in its classic white trim...

onesubdrvr
02-01-2006, 04:16 PM
that pic is worth a thousand words, notice how symetrical the white water line stripe ties into the widest part of the transom housing and the 2 tone transom is tied together by the white drive now Wayne's boat is a solid hull color but still has the white stripe , it will look the best in volvo white
I think white it is,.....

The polished Blackhawk drive looks AWESOME, but, it's a bullet shaped blackhawk, not a shovel shaped Volvo

The black - well, I have to say, is just to "mercruiser" for me :wink:

Paint to match the transom (all blue), I'm still "picturing" that idea in my mind.

But right now, all white is winning out, it would kind of look like a continuation of the stripe on the deck, but in reverse. Maybe with a blue accent stripe (horizontal), lined up with the white water line on my boat. And yes, I like the blue prop-cone!!

Also, I think the white gives it more of a true "classic" look, gotta love those simple stripes!!

Thanks for the input guys

Wayne