PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit Carpet Glue Removal

BRIAN73
01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I have no mechanical projects to do this year what so ever!!!!!!

So I figured that I would tackle the hack carpet job someone did before me. I can remove the carpet no problem. Just need to know of a good product to remove the glue that looks like it was applied by a seeing eye dog.

I don't want to harm the cockpit finish, yet remove of all the excess that looks to be really ground in.

Any help would be really appreciated

Brian

Boatnuts
01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
I used a fiberglass friendly paint remover that is often used on the old Corvettes. You spray it on, rub a little with a bristle brush and wash it off with water and then give the gelcoat a good waxing. The remover is available at a lot of the custom car places as well as many of the auto refinishing supply houses. I took the equivalent of two 5 gallon pails out of Magnum several years ago and got great results. Personally, I have never and would never use glue to put a carpet in a boat.

Cuda
01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
I'd try my three standard removers, laquer thinner, denatured alcohol, or mineral spirits. Laquer thinner took of some tile sealer that I couldn't get of with the special sealer remover, and was a helluva lot cheaper.

Lenny
01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
I like the lacquer thinner as well. I use it for everything around the shop for clean-up. Be sure your boat is gel tho and not painted before starting this process.

There are a few variations of Lacquer thinner. Some are "re-fined" and work much better at stuff, and some are simply clean/up general purpose grade. The refined product is usually for thinning, well,... lacquer without affecting the make up of the paint. (much) :)

Bob
01-31-2006, 05:39 PM
I just had a flashback to the job I had removing the glued down carpet in my Hornet. The previous owner did the floor and the ski locker in a nice shade of poop brown. Against all recommendations, I used a VERY sharp carbide scraper to get the worst of it off. Just be patient with it and don't try to do the corners. Stop when you get angry. The solvents didn't do a thing.:bonk:

DickB
01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
I used a fiberglass friendly paint remover that is often used on the old Corvettes.

I too used this on a boat project a few years back and it worked the best for me, after having tried paint and lacquer thinner unsuccessfully.

mrfixxall
01-31-2006, 08:59 PM
3M MAKES A ADHEASIVE REMOVER THAT WON'T HARM YOUR FINISH LIKE ACITONE OR OTHER THINNERS WILL...yOU CAN ALSO TRY A PRODUCT BY DUPONT THE #3812,,, IT WONT HURT THE FINISH BUT TAKES A LITTLE BIT OF RUBBIN THO....

Speed-Racer
02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Glue in carpet is HELL!!!.... It took me a week to get my glue up! Laquer thinner NO, Floor adhesive remover NO, M.E.K. NO, ...so an orbital sander YES!

MOP
02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Good to use good chemical gloves with the solvents, that stuff is real hard on the skin.

Phil

maddad
02-02-2006, 09:05 PM
When I took the glue off my floor I used a 2" spackle knife, with the corners softened so they wouldn't gouge and some dishsoap/water mix to float away the debris.I got great results,fast,with no fumes.

Rob
02-02-2006, 09:24 PM
The 3M adhesive remover is pretty good. I would try that before resorting to a scraper.