PDA

View Full Version : Removing exhaust baffles

Carl C
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
I know I've been full of questions lately but can I bug ya with one more? How can I get these baffles out? Do I remove the cans and pull them out from the inside? The nut, stud and plate are welded together. Do I cut off the stud and bend up the plate and pull it out from the back? Is there a way to do this without destrying the baffle? How much louder will it be? Is there a reason why I shouldn't do this?

RedDog
01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I think your best bet is to just buy new tips without the baffle and with an internal flapper. I think you will destroy the baffles by removing them. It will be louder and you MAY get a little more performance.

Rootsy
01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
I am sure it's been done before... i just removed the ones from my 16 and sold em... i was pretty close to the state noise level limit... my 16 ain't even CLOSE to it now... i believe the baffles are held together with spacers and that thru bolt that you see tack welded... the baffles are then tacked to the outer shell on those 3 lips... getting in there to cut em off could take a bit of doing... if you get things too hot on the surface you'll turn the SS blue on the outside...

new tips with internal flappers from Corsa are about 200 jr bacon cheeseburgers...

I BELIEVE you can buy the muffler can without the baffles in them also.. how much i donno...

if you feel comfy doing it.. knock yourself out... remove them from the boat and go from the inside... they have to come out this way too.. from the front, i believe (exhaust hose side). Seal them when you put em back on with a good marine grade sealant.

good luck eh... i am still thankful all of our local law enforcement has thought my 16 is cooler than it is a hinderance... onna these days someone is gonna think otherwise i reckon...

JR - 104, 104 do i hear 106... i have 106 do i hear 108... dB that is :eek!:

gcarter
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Carl I'm removing slash cut tips with flappers and replacing them with mufflers like yours.
I'll be glad to sell the tips to you very inexpensively.
Personally I'm tired of the noise.

Carl C
01-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Carl I'm removing slash cut tips with flappers and replacing them with mufflers like yours.
I'll be glad to sell the tips to you very inexpensively.
Personally I'm tired of the noise. How much $? Will they fit my boat? Pictures?:yes:

gcarter
01-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Carl, PM your email addy and I'll send pics and details tomorrow. Should fit. Standard 4" with flanges and three screw holes. I know the mufflers fit the tip holes.

The Hedgehog
02-01-2006, 08:14 AM
How much $? Will they fit my boat? Pictures?:yes:

The end result will be better and you can always put the cans back on. I did the swap and it looked factory. I still have the cans just in case I need to go somewhere with noise restrictions. The swap takes very little time.

I am glad that I did not simple knock the baffles out.

The sound is great! The bass fishermen at Eufaula absolutely love it!

Rootsy
02-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Carl,

the corsa cans have studs that protrude from them and pass through the transom, nutted from the inside. The Corsa straight cut tips i replaced them with aligned perfectly with the existing holes...

Carl C
02-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I am trying to get the tips from George. Thanks.

donzi182003
02-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Carl,

I did this on my 03' 18 Classic. It is as simple as removing the tips and having a machine shop cut out the baffles. The baffle is multi layered , it is not just one plate as it appears. I had a machine shop work on the baffles on my boat and it was so easy they didnt even charge me. Its is a much ballsier sound and it does not hurt performance. Do not be worried about excessive noise. This is not the case. It increased the noise level on my 350 MAG MPI by about 20%.

Good luck,
Ed

Carl C
02-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Carl,
I did this on my 03' 18 Classic. It is as simple as removing the tips and having a machine shop cut out the baffles. The baffle is multi layered , it is not just one plate as it appears. I had a machine shop work on the baffles on my boat and it was so easy they didnt even charge me. Its is a much ballsier sound and it does not hurt performance. Do not be worried about excessive noise. This is not the case. It increased the noise level on my 350 MAG MPI by about 20%.
Good luck,
Ed The new tips are coming from gcarter. Now I will still have my stock mufflers. If it is too loud and I don't get a little more speed and rpm I will put it back. George gave me a great deal. You're lucky to get ANY boat part for what I paid. Thanks, G.