PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Donzi to other hulls

txbuckeye
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey there, I'm new to this board and I'm researching for an eventual future purchase. I love the Donzi (18, 22 classic) and would like some input on things you like about them and things you would improve. Also wonder how they stack up to competitors like the Superboat, Hustler, etc in there size range (20-22ft range). Most of my seat time has been in bass type boats and my STV tunnell. Interested in boat that can accommodate a few more people and handle rougher water with good performance. Great board folks, you've done a nice job with it. Thanks Dave

Carl C
01-29-2006, 07:13 AM
I also drove high performance outboards for many years - bass boats and a Hydrostream mod VP. When I decided to move to a bigger boat the 22 Classic was the only hull I considered. I now have one season under my belt in her. You will lose a little top end (a lot over the STV!) but I'm very happy with my choice and I can always modify the 496 and get her into the 80's if I decide to. The only thing I'd have done different with this boat would be to make the cockpit a little wider and better utilize the under bow area. Be prepared for a completely different experience over the outboards. My first couple times out I felt like a total rookie and I've been boating 24 years! Once you get used to the trim tabs and the low speed quirks you will love how this boat drives. The only thing I miss about the outboards is the jack plate. How does it compare to similar hulls? I can't answer that one.

Carl C
01-29-2006, 05:59 PM
I'd like to hear about the comparisons too.

txbuckeye
01-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, Carl. I wouldn't expect it to have the acceleration or handling of the STV. It's a pretty special boat in my book. Can be a pain in the rear though when trying to cruise in rougher water with friends in the boat. I like the designs of the smaller offshore boats that have some good rough water capability yet are easy to handle. Curious as to how fast you have had your Donzi? Is it an easy driver? Wondering as to what speeds this hull starts to become a "driver" and shows some evil tendencies. Also what setups (outdrives,engines, etc) enhance or detract from the handling of these boats.

Carl C
01-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the reply, Carl. I wouldn't expect it to have the acceleration or handling of the STV. It's a pretty special boat in my book. Can be a pain in the rear though when trying to cruise in rougher water with friends in the boat. I like the designs of the smaller offshore boats that have some good rough water capability yet are easy to handle. Curious as to how fast you have had your Donzi? Is it an easy driver? Wondering as to what speeds this hull starts to become a "driver" and shows some evil tendencies. Also what setups (outdrives,engines, etc) enhance or detract from the handling of these boats.It does consistant 73mph on gps. Being a bigger boat it feels faster. This boat has NO top end issues and drives easier at wot. Once I got my confidence up I just rip through anything the lake can through at me. When I catch air it always comes down straight. I've been around Donzis for years but my driving experience is limited to one season. There is so much more knowledge here that I thought you'd get a better response. Any pictures of that STV?

txbuckeye
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Not a great pic. I'd have to dig for some others since we just moved back to the Houston area. Everything is still in boxes.

Carl C
01-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Very cool! Here's my "before and after".

txbuckeye
02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Nice boats! I've always been a 'stream fan. Have you seen their latest? Apparently they are building again. Some sweet new models.
http://www.hydrostream.com

Carl C
02-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice boats! I've always been a 'stream fan. Have you seen their latest? Apparently they are building again. Some sweet new models.
http://www.hydrostream.com Cool link. I knew of the earlier attempts to keep building these boats but thought it was all over now. Howard Pipkorn designed boats that were way ahead of their time. Maybe the Don Aronow of the outboard world? Well maybe not but it's good to see the 'Streams back with some new models. Hopefully some cats will be coming.

RedDog
02-01-2006, 11:46 AM
HydroStream - another hot outboard made in East TN - reminds me of some of the Allisons made here as well.

CMC
02-01-2006, 09:50 PM
TX,
First let me say that I am NOT here to Knock the Donzi. Perhaps you should consider the 20 Sutphen Sport in the "Other Boats for sale" section. This boat as equiped will run about the same speed as the 22 Classic, does not have any lower speed porpoising issues and has an open area under the deck. In addition, It is priced about the same as an 18 Classic. PM me if you would like further info.

f_inscreenname
02-02-2006, 06:48 AM
I know, I know.:cool:

Carl C
02-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Hmmm.. Designed by who?? What kind of boat is that??

Rob
02-02-2006, 09:08 PM
It looks Wynne-ish to me.

Silly windscreen though...

Carl C
02-03-2006, 08:31 AM
It looks Wynne-ish to me.
Silly windscreen though... Can't quite make out the name. The barrel-back looks familiar!! Why is the racing stripe on the passenger side? And, yes, the windshield must go.

boldts
02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
TX, I haven't owned a 80 + 22 Classic, but I've riden in a few. I've been not only in the Classic, but also a Criterion doing mid 80s. Just like the outboards your familier with, a lot of how rock solid a boat is at those speeds is in the boat's set-up. Props and hydraulic steering have a lot to do with the reaction of the Classic at those kind of speeds. Smooth water can be like driving a caddy at 20 mph on a Sunday drive. Add some confused waters, and that same boat may want to dance a bit for ya. Most of the guys running those speeds are also running a 4 blade prop. Hydromotive being the most popular although the TXP from Turbo has been a good experience for an owner I know running a 500HP with a shortie.

The Classic is a go from point A to point B boat and look good doing it . It's not about carrying a ton of gear to go camping for the weekend. It's not a great family boat even though a family can enjoy the heck out of it in a day. If you get a chance, ride in one. I don't think you'll be looking at other offerings available.

Carl C
02-05-2006, 07:28 PM
So, no WAG's on what kind of boat that is ehhh??
effn, your banned from this one.. :) :) I was starting to think I was on your ignore list. :rlol: :wink: Let's see, we were talking about Hydrostreams and Howard Pipkorn. As far As I thought those were all outboards.

vrod02
02-06-2006, 10:26 AM
o-henry skipper?:biggrin:

Carl C
02-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I'll get back to this later today. Right now I'm trying to figure out my taxes and I swear my head is about to explode! Geez this gets complicated when you become self employed.:kaioken: :angryfire :mad: :mad:

boldts
02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
So, no WAG's on what kind of boat that is ehhh??
effn, your banned from this one.. :) :)

If effn is out on this, then I'm bettin on the 19' Super Nova? :hyper:

Carl C
02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I just spent an hour doing some serious googling and I still can't ID that sucker. I did find a cool perf. boat site for egg-beater fans www.screamandfly.com :confused: txbuckeye, if you are here go to screamandfly, scroll down to community topics and check out the 150 mph STV.

f_inscreenname
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
If effn is out on this, then I'm bettin on the 19' Super Nova? :hyper:
No not a Nova19 but you are on the right street, well... maybe the right neighborhood. The years are about right also.

txbuckeye
02-07-2006, 12:20 AM
I saw the 150mph STV....!!!!!!!!! Amazing. Can't imagine what thats like. I'm working on the older boat also. Nothing yet.

txbuckeye
02-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Allmand "Jumper"

boatnut
02-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey there, I'm new to this board and I'm researching for an eventual future purchase. I love the Donzi (18, 22 classic) and would like some input on things you like about them and things you would improve. Also wonder how they stack up to competitors like the Superboat, Hustler, etc in there size range (20-22ft range). Most of my seat time has been in bass type boats and my STV tunnell. Interested in boat that can accommodate a few more people and handle rougher water with good performance.

You will get different opinions here which is what makes this forum priceless;) . I love Donzis and their classic timeless great looks -- and have owned four of them. However if I was primarily after performance and rough water handling at higher speeds I would consider other options. There are many choices including some that have been mentioned such as Sutphen and the west coast boats like Hustler. Some have better build quality than the later Donzis in my opinion. The lack of cockpit width in the Donzi was mentioned, that is part of the charm as the narrow beam is what gives these boats the great looks and visual balance they have. I consider the Donzi (classic) hull design to be old and later improvements exist in other brands. If you want to stay with outboards and all their advantages a nice transition boat for you would be the 21' Challenger (or one of the boats that evolved from this design). They handle rough water extremely well at very high speeds. Having said all of that if you can be happy with "good" not "great" performance and are willing to compromise function for form, a classic 22 is a spectacular boat and almost as much fun to drive as a classic 18!! Ed

txbuckeye
02-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the input. I really like the lines of the Classic. I will definitely have to look into driving one eventually, before I purchase.

As for the Allmand. It was built in '71 and '72 as a concept. Never was put into production and the molds were sold to Hydrostream where they modified the hull. At least thats what my research tells me.

Carl C
02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input. I really like the lines of the Classic. I will definitely have to look into driving one eventually, before I purchase.
As for the Allmand. It was built in '71 and '72 as a concept. Never was put into production and the molds were sold to Hydrostream where they modified the hull. At least thats what my research tells me. My search took me to f_nscreennames hangout at the Nova site where it looked like this boat became the Supernova. It's really hard to find info on Allmand boats but I think txbuckeye probably has it right.:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

txbuckeye
02-07-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't think I would have found that info without the reference to the Nova.

http://supernova19.com/id6.htm

Carl C
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't think I would have found that info without the reference to the Nova.
http://supernova19.com/id6.htm Good work!:tongue: So that leaves the question "who penned the boat" in post #12. How the heck would I know??? It would be too cool if it were Don Aronow since that looks like it may be the boat that became the Hydrostream Vegas XT. That would mean that my previous boat was really a HydroDon!?!? Or an AroStream?

vrod02
02-07-2006, 11:17 PM
My info says none in 73. 26 built in 72. Thats production not concept. Also they were a "kids" boat, could'nt handle more 1ft chop. Low HP.

txbuckeye
02-08-2006, 02:49 PM
John Allmand penned the boat.

Carl C
02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
How about it, MadPoodle? Do we have a winner?:kyle:

txbuckeye
02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
A big "Thank You" to Todd Allmand who provided me with that info via email. It was very nice of him to reply to my question.

txbuckeye
02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
I wasn't aware of that.

vrod02
02-09-2006, 08:19 PM
His brother got the mold for the 19,supernova, dont know if it still exists. Todd said there was some bad blood there.