PDA

View Full Version : Mirage vs. Turbo

Carl C
01-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Which will give me more rpm and top speed? A stock 25p Mirage Plus or a 25p Turbo 1? This is an '05 22C w/496HO. Present best 73 @ 4,850. I know these props have been discussed over and over and I'm not looking to redo all that. The simple scoop is that I have a chance now to obtain a Turbo prop and want to know if it will give me more top end and rpm closer to 5,000.

John W
01-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I have the same boat except is it a 2004. I had the stock Mirage plus,, same rpm's a little slower, Boat was a hand full at high speed and porposed horrible below 40mph. Put a hydromotive Quad 4, 24p on her. Very stable at all sppeds , pulls to port a little at WOT. proposing is mostly gone, uding only engine trim. Top speed gps 72.6 at 5050,with full fuel and my FA. Todd at hydro said I could lab the prop and pick up a few more mph's.

Had A turbo on My 16, straightened that boat out as well. Tried a TXP, would not work for me , but there are a few members that have them and they work fine.
Good luck.JW:jestera:

MOP
01-29-2006, 12:36 AM
A lot slower SB 22, tried Mirage, Quick Silver, Merc Cleaver and finaly a Turbo 4 blade Ultima. Mirage was a 21 Did 63@5600 had mid range porpois, Quick Silver 23 65@5250 still porpoised, 23 Cleaver 65.3 5230 had very little porpois but was very Squirliy hated it, 23 4 blade turbo 65.7@5150 super prop good hole shot -0- porpois and very stable handling.

smokediver
01-29-2006, 08:08 AM
If you are running a stock mirage now , have it labbed . I bet you will get those extra rpms.

Sam
01-29-2006, 08:48 AM
"Which will give me more rpm and top speed?" I would add a third dimension to your question.......handling. Based on my experience I would try both the Hydromotive and Turbo. Turbo's seem to produce the best of all worlds. Hydro's typicly give you good handling with a little loss of top end. Obviously only seat time will detremine which one is right for you. Do a search, lot's of info posted.

Good Luck
Sam

tmdog
01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Carl C- - Keep in mind the M+ and the Turbo are two different diameter props. The Turbo is 14 1/4 and the M+ is 14 5/8. The Turbo being smaller than the other will give more rpm. Probably faster by my test on a 22C. Jim

boldts
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Carl, all said here is good info. The only difference I found when I put a Turbo1 on my 22 Classic was that even though the diameter was less, my RPMs actually dropped because the Turbo1 was more efficent. My 22 came with a Mirage, not the + and had terrible porposing with that prop. The only time it would settle down was at WOT. Then the bow would finally lay down and run nice. Smooth water mind ya. Boat was a hand full in ruff water since all I could run was WOT. My Mirage was a 23", so I thought a 23" Turbo1 would be perfect since the Mirage was turning 4800. Prop arrived, tested with GPS and instead of RPMs going up the 100 or 200 I thought it would, RPMs dropped to 4650 - 4700. I sent the 23" Turbo1 back and exchanged for a 22". Boat was at 4900 and ran beautifully in all conditions. Handling was a dream compared to before. Speed increased 3 MPH even though I was running less pitch. GPS went from 65.7 to 68.8. Mine had a 454MAG with a 1.65:1 Bravo1. I later tried a 21" Turbo1 at AOTH, but found speed dropped back to 65 and RPMs went over 5000. So, I had the best Turbo1 prop on my application already.

Never tried a Mirage + on my boat. Primarily for 2 reasons. One I didn't believe in having to send a prop to a shop for labbing after just paying more for the prop in the first place and good friends who have tried just about every prop made said I wouldn't find a better performing prop than the Turbo other than a 4 blade. Of course, with that extra blade also costs a bit of speed. If I were running 80 + MPH, I'd have put a Hydromotive on the boat I'm sure. But, I'd also have checked the Turbo TXP and then gone from there. No, I don't work for Turbo. They will be in attendance at AOTH VI. Come on down to Lake Cumberland in May and give the props a try.

Carl C
01-29-2006, 06:11 PM
OK, it sounds like there's no simple answer to this one so I will try to get the prop and if I can't pull it, it might be a good time for the exhaust upgrades. Labbing either prop sounds like a good idea too. Thanks.

ChromeGorilla
01-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Carl.... I think you should be turning over 5 grand easily in your boat. I think with a little seat time in her you will be seeing better numbers out of her. I remeber the first few months I owned my 22, I "thought" I knew how to squeeze her, after all, I had driven lots of boats. Boy was I wrong.... this boat is finnicky.... tiny adjustments when running can make a huge difference...... learning what feels right and squeezing the last bit out of her. You may have 1-3 more MPH in her.... but I defintely think you should be able to turn 5000 RPM with a stock 25P Mirage +.

But then again maybe not...... I have heard that the may have stars aligned for a few hours and Donzi may have turned out a slightly strong running 22 with a 496HO.... but that just rumor..... :D

Carl C
01-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Carl.... I think you should be turning over 5 grand easily in your boat. I think with a little seat time in her you will be seeing better numbers out of her. I remeber the first few months I owned my 22, I "thought" I knew how to squeeze her, after all, I had driven lots of boats. Boy was I wrong.... this boat is finnicky.... tiny adjustments when running can make a huge difference...... learning what feels right and squeezing the last bit out of her. You may have 1-3 more MPH in her.... but I defintely think you should be able to turn 5000 RPM with a stock 25P Mirage +.

But then again maybe not...... I have heard that the may have stars aligned for a few hours and Donzi may have turned out a slightly strong running 22 with a 496HO.... but that just rumor..... :D Yes, you may have a "ringer". And I think you are right. that's why I will trade my 24p Turbo (which I never got around to trying) for a 25p while I have the chance.

roadtrip se
01-31-2006, 01:02 PM
is the TXP, instead of the Turbo One. Maybe one mph slower than my Mirage Plus, but a lot less exciting getting there. If you use the quantity of beers consumed once back to the dock meter, the TXP wins hands down. I also find that my passengers don't run and kiss dry land with joy quite as often when returning from a run with the TXP attached, as opposed to the Mirage Plus.

No Jill, we can't put the Mirage Plus up on the lake house mantel as a permanent decoration....

Carl C
01-31-2006, 01:54 PM
is the TXP, instead of the Turbo One. Maybe one mph slower than my Mirage Plus, but a lot less exciting getting there. If you use the quantity of beers consumed once back to the dock meter, the TXP wins hands down. I also find that my passengers don't run and kiss dry land with joy quite as often when returning from a run with the TXP attached, as opposed to the Mirage Plus.
No Jill, we can't put the Mirage Plus up on the lake house mantel as a permanent decoration.... I appreciate the different suggestions but I already have a turbo 1 24p and a member who wants to trade for a turbo 1 25p. I think I will go for it. One interesting thing I noticed with the props side by side is the big diff. in hub length.