PDA

View Full Version : SeaCast System

Speed-Racer
01-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Who has heard off, or worked with the SeaCast System?

http://www.seawolfindustries.com/seacast.html

gcarter
01-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Brandon, there was a thread on it about a year ago.
I think it looks intruiging. Also they're only located a few miles from you.

MOP
01-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Brandon not sure but I think I started the post on SeaCast, it was of great interest to me when I was doing the structural work on the Beast. I asked some of the glass guys and boat yards, got mixed but pretty positive come back. I went to yards and inspected a few boats in my area that had used it, it did seem to be exactly what they said. It was very strong, I was sure this was the way to go.
After I got the engine out I beat the hell out of the stringers and found them to be very solid except for a few small areas and only read wet on the meter for about 5-6 feet from the transom. I thought a perfect candidate for SeasCast. I drilled holes in the stringers from the top down to verify what I could not see, I found the wood wet but very solid except for by where the engine mount bolts went through the wetness stopped roughly 5-6 feet from the transom. I set about cutting the tops off the stringers to clean them out for the SeaCast, after spending about 2 hours using a large wood drill and chisels and only digging out about 3-1/3 feet on just one I said this is dumb the wood was just to hard. I quit and called close fiend who was the glass guy for Hustler Boats, he came down and about 1-1/2 hours later had cut 10 feet a few more feet then was wet to where the stringers were bone dry. He replaced them with doubled stringers with a four foot overlap set in an epoxy paste the way Hustler does. He also added two additional bulkheads, four transverses and deck struts to tie the stringers, hull and deck together by the back seat. The job is way overkill but as he says build it not to break, I doubt if there is another 22 rehabbed as strong. I still toyed with doing the transom but my guy nixed it wanting to tie the stringers and new transom together his way, by the way the transom was a patch work of 4X4 blocks. The transom is now two plies of 3/4" seven ply marine plywood with a full 1/4" overlay, I wonder the wisdom at Donzi for the patch work that was there.

Phil