PDA

View Full Version : 1667 Ski Sporter Needs New Home

miktaw
01-26-2006, 05:53 PM
I have a Ski Sporter that needs a new home. Boat needs a complete restoration, but seems to be all there (except interior) and unmolested. I had big dreams of restoring it but after 6 years reality has set in that I will never have the time for this project. This is what I know about boat:

Title says boat is a 1967, has a Chris Craft V-6 and Volvo drive that previous owner said were both recently "rebuilt" prior to my ownership. (Motor fired right up and ran good 6 years ago, then was refogged). Deck is soft and needs to be recored. Transom seems solid. Color is Coral (Salmon color, matches the era of the boat). Trailer seems to be a matching piece- but black in color. (Don't know if Donzi had someone make trailers for them- this one is one big I beam bent into a U).

I would like to know what its worth or if anyone on your site would be interested in this project. My e-mail address is miktaw@comcast.net or you can reach Mike @ 586-214-6453 for any other questions.

Just Say N20
01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Hello fellow Michigander. Welcome to the board.
If it hasn't already posted, you will be getting a request to put a price into this thread - one of the rules for posting a boat for sale here. Any pictures would be a considerable help in determining interest and value.
This 1990 Sweet 16 just sold on boattrader for $2,500. This is unusual, and a think a very low price. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/7/82432277.htm
Lets seem some pictures, and interest will come forward.
:wink:

miktaw
01-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome to the board.
I read the rules about a price and a picture but I really didn't know where else to post it where it would get a look and hopefully some response. I was hoping to get some sort of discussion of what it was worth so I could post a reasonable price. (I really want to sell this boat and am not just fishing for a value-I have a '73 18' with a 351 Holman Moody-it's a 20/10- looks good at 20' instead of 10' like everyone elses and a 13' Boston Whaler canal cruiser, I don't have the room for three boats).
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the boat at this time as it is shrink-wrapped so there is really not much to look at other than the trailer.
My question really is; is it worth more because its an original (much like a 1967 Corvette vs: a 1990 Corvette?) or is it just too much work versus the end result that would lessen the value?

goatee
01-26-2006, 11:23 PM
hello and welcome,
i am also in the 586 area. 260-1213
if you would like, i can come look at it. maybe give you a ball park...

Rootsy
01-27-2006, 06:23 AM
first of all, welcome!

i don't know how much help i'll be but i can pass on a few thoughts... A lot of the value depends upon condition of the boat... if it is turn key running in good structural condition, all of the hardware is there, no one has cut or hacked on it and you can go use it without any issues at any time.. depending upon the level of this cleanliness and condition i'd put the price somewhere in the 5 - 8 K range for your average 16 of this era and such...

if it is a fully restored, solid as a rock, well finished everything new or rebuilt and meticulious i'd put it in the 8 - 12K range... maybe more if it has a rare powerplant or drive setup or soemthing...

BUT if the motor isn;t running and such and it needs mechanical work it'll begin to diminish in value rather quickly. Structural work (soft decks, coring, hack jobs on the floor, ski locker, hatch, rear seat, etc etc) will be the same thing... figuring new interior will run you in the neighborhood of 1500, you can get upward of 2 - 3K pretty quickly if you need to do drive work and or engine work and if there is rot in the coring, stringers or transom well that job gets big really quickly, and very expensive if you cannot do the work yourself...

another consideration is the condition of the fuel tank and accessories such as the fuel line, blower, bilge pump and wiring, etc... replacing a fuel tank isn't a walk in the park for most people... and they have been known to leak and or rust up internally and clog fuel filters... this will detour many an interested party just lookin for a boat that doesn't need much work...

does your 16 have zero, 2 or 4 clamshell vents around the hatch? does it have a "register" in front of the rear seat and a vent grate above the rub rail on the transom???

the trailer you speak of, a rectangular tube bent in a U is the original Rocket trailer... donno what that is worth.

Therefore photos would greatly help in order to assess how "sound" she is... but i hope that it gives you a few ideas.... good luck eh

Jamie

miktaw
01-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies,
As I stated in my original post this boat doesn't seemed to have been molested- doesn't seemed to have been cut or hacked on. I do know the deck is soft but think the stringers, transom and other structural is still good.
I know the deck needs to come off and my thought was while that was off to replace gas tank (39 yrs old) and fuel lines/hoses, replace the wiring (my experience with old things and old wiring is like chasing your tail) and be done with it. There aren't too many wires involved in the whole boat and I would want to make sure everything was fused better than these boats were when they were new. I would think that someone restoring a boat this old would make these improvements just from a safety standpoint.
There are no deck vents just the vent grates on the transom and below the rear seat. (Looks like they were stolen off a 50's era mobile home!).
The trailer is actually a U shaped I beam, not a box tube. I've seen trailers with U shaped tube frames and trailers with 2 bent I beams bolted together but I've never seen one like this. It does look like the original trailer so maybe Rocket made this one too. I've looked for a manufactures tag or some sort of ID on the trailer, the only thing is the numbers 2265X17 marked with welding rod into the top flat of the I beam.
Thanks again for your replies and welcomes to the board.
Mike

Bobby D
01-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Miktaw,
Based on your description it‘s a Rocket Trailer. These original trailers are very well made however difficult to load by yourself. Unless you have help tending the boat at the ramp when the wind and chop are up forget it.
My trailer is a 1970 that has been completely restored, springs, wheel bearings, tires, paint, the whole nine yards. Last year I eliminated the old style rollers by installing bunks therefore providing improved keel support and now I just line it up between the bunks and drive on the trailer.
Good Luck,
Bobby

miktaw
01-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Bobby,

Thanks for the reply. My trailer is the same as yours so it must be a Rocket. My spare tire is mounted differently but has the same welded in serial #'s and the I beam is cut on an angle at the ends just like yours. Mine has rollers down the middle with 4 mini bunks on the four corners of the hull.

Thanks again for the reply.

Mike

Rootsy
01-27-2006, 11:55 AM
if it has no deck vents it is older than 1967... the lack of vents puts it more in the 65ish range...

BERTRAM BOY
01-27-2006, 02:31 PM
if it has no deck vents it is older than 1967... the lack of vents puts it more in the 65ish range...

I believe no vents puts in the first 25 catagory. An Eaton drive puts it the first 40 catagory.

Did you find any numbers?

Tim Morris
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I believe no vents puts in the first 25 catagory. An Eaton drive puts it the first 40 catagory.
Did you find any numbers?

Here's my first Donzi, 1965, came with an Eaton outdrive.
No vents on top, only rear centre. Intake vent was below
the back wrap around seat.

This was one of the first two imported to Canada. I bought
it in 1975 and completly restored but not deck off. In the
car biz, it would be called 'ground up' resto vs. 'body off'.

One of the first 40? Wish I'd kept it.

BERTRAM BOY
01-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Here's my first Donzi, 1965, came with an Eaton outdrive.
No vents on top, only rear centre. Intake vent was below
the back wrap around seat.
This was one of the first two imported to Canada. I bought
it in 1975 and completly restored but not deck off. In the
car biz, it would be called 'ground up' resto vs. 'body off'.
One of the first 40? Wish I'd kept it.

Was the drive changed? 'cause that's not an Eaton drive.
Looks great though.

sweet 16 1966
01-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Bertram and Rotsy,
You two know much about these old boats! I am now confused as to what year mine is. Originallythought to be a 66. No claim shells, originally an Eaton outdrive. Looks like it would be in the first 40? Thats news to me.
Thanks for any info. I never found any ID numbers when recorred.

Tim Morris
01-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Was the drive changed? 'cause that's not an Eaton drive.
Looks great though.

Yes. Original was 265 interceptor w/eaton.
Original owner had a chain/winch deal to raise
(tilt) the eaton.

I repowered with volvo outdrive/engine (350) combo.
I was (still am) on a shallow lake with about 2 - 3'
depth at the dock. Tilt/trim is necessary.

Bobby D
01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Scott,
Yes, I have several before and after shots and the boat is in my garage so can take pictures of whatever you want to see, just let me know.
The guy I bought the boat from used the trailer once a year on vacation and it was not set up correctly. He replaced all the rollers and they were out of plumb about ½ inch and that was enough to make the boat rotate counter clockwise off center of the rollers. No matter what we did (three guys) could not load the boat on the trailer straight. My judgment is before the return home trip the boat was jacked up, realigned, and set back down on the rollers. My dad had a 1965 Rocket trailer that a 23-foot Sea Bird sat on so we know how to load a boat on a Rocket. After the third time out I was done with that set up and decided to convert to bunks. Since the boat spends most of its life on the trailer I was concerned that only (4) four small rollers were supporting the boat on the trailer. The modification turned out better than I had hoped; the boat is now supported on the entire keel (10 feet of bunk on each side) and is very easy to load. My goal was to maintain the old school look but utilize current trailer technology an the result was all I have to do is line it up and drive on.
Bobby