PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Installation Story & Material for Sale

Stan
01-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Windshield Installation Story & Material for Sale

I just re-did the windshield on my 1989 22 Classic and have enough pieces left over to make another windshield. Please see the "Parts For Sale" section.
My Windshield story:
I used 3/8 inch Polycarbonate made by Hyzod AR-2 # 7135. This is the BEST material you can use…PERIOD ! The 3/8 inch Polycarbonate is stronger and less flexible then the original 1/4 inch that was there. I also used the AR-2. That means "Abrasion Resistant" on BOTH sides. 7135 is the degree of darkness.
If any of you have called around for this stuff, you know it's hard to find. The ¼ in AR-1 # 7135 was almost impossible to get without ordering the six sheet minimum ! And when I did find some Polycarbonate in 1/4 in # 7135 ............ it still needed to be Abrasion Resistant coated for an extra charge of $ 125 per side. Trying to get the
3/8…….forget about it !!
I gotta tell you, I got lucky ! I called about 20 places here in Southern calif, and finally found 1 sheet of the 3/8 stuff. I only wanted the AR-1, but when they said they only had a sheet of the AR-2, I said " ITS MINE !!! ".
Drove out about 50 miles on a rainy Saturday morning, old windshields in hand. I was going to cut the pieces myself at home, but after seeing and talking to the guys there, I decided to have them cut the stuff for me, and boy, am I glad I let the pros do it.
They first cut the large sheet into 2 smaller more manageable sheets. They then placed the old windshields on top of the new pieces, securing one to the other using 2-sided tape (very smart) no clamps to get in the way. They then used a shaper (basically an upside down router) and traced the outline of the old pieces…..drilled the holes…..cleaned up the edges with a disc sander……..bingo all done. Took about 45 minutes. I used the old grommets from the previous plastic pieces.
I am confident I could have done as nice a job as the pros, but for a lot more time and thinking ! When you know how to do something right (the first time) it's easy.
Remember……."measure 3 times …cut once !! "
The 3/8 Polycarbonate Hyzod AR-2 4x8 sheet cost me $ 425 with sales tax ( and $ 80 bucks to cut ). From my calling around, this was a very good price, with NO shipping charge. So I'm in about $ 500 bucks. REMEMBER ….this is the 3/8 stuff, NOT the ¼.
For the ¼ stuff, I got quoted $180 a sheet plus $ 125 per side for Abrasion Resistant coating = $ 430 plus tax.and cutting.
I was hoping there would be enough material left over to do another windshield for a 22. But that's not going to happen. BUT, there is definitely enough to do a windshield for an 18 Classic or similar. The windshield on the 18 should be the same length as the 22 but the width is not as much. The side pieces, I figure about 38 inches in length and the width is also less than on a 22.
The 2 pieces I have left are :
71 3/8 x 14 1/8
48 ½ x 17
Polycarbonate Hyzod AR-2 # 7135
I know you can get a new windshield out of the big piece. I had an 18 classic and according to my measurements, I am confident you can get 2 sides from the smaller piece, but please check your own boat before buying this.
$ 225 plus the shipping…$ 20 bucks $ 245 Total
This way I recover some of my cost. If you think its expensive, that’s ok.......try finding this stuff !
Seh1@aol.com
818-406-1802

techspecial
01-26-2006, 10:13 PM
This material is just what I was looking for for my 86 Minx...
It has two straight side pieces and one curved piece across the front.
Does anyone know how to bend this stuff...How much heat etc.
Does the shop you had do your work take on custom bending work.
I haven't had much luck locating drawings from Donzi or anything else that would be really helpful. If we could work something out I would be forever grateful...Thanks Mike Pankok 1-856-678-7707

Tim Morris
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
The Minx windshield is a complicated bend, I'd say.

RickSE
01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd avoid trying to "hot" bend plexi with either UV or abrasion coatings. The coating will usually crack or bubble making the bend look like crap.

Pismo
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
How about the frame, is that original? Looks a little more curved on the sides.

Tim Morris
01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
How about the frame, is that original? Looks a little more curved on the sides.

Yes, I am the original owner of this '87 example.

Pismo
02-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Stan.......

How about the windshield frame, is that original? Looks a little more curved on the sides.

Thanks

Stan
02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
My windshield is bone stock !!

:spongebob

Pismo
02-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Stan,

I also wanted to ask about your red, is that original gelcoat or has it been painted. How have you maintained it so well, it looks beautiful.

Stan
02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH !!!!!
Your too kind !! You sure do know how to make a guy blush. Why, I just wax her down every other season. I guess i'm just lucky, I've got good genes.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Stan......:cool:
PS
(The stripe was repainted a few years ago, I wax my boat about 2 or 3 times a season, and my 5 megapixal camera does a great job. It hurts me to say this but I know where all the dings are).

Silver Bullet
02-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Wow, the boat looks great. Nice job on the windshield. Was it hard after you had the pieces cut? You said you bought the thicker plastic, was there any problem making it fit? I have a 1988 - 22 and will be re-doing the windshield next month. Did not realize how expensive it would be. Again, great job on yours it looks fantastic.

RickSE
02-10-2006, 10:27 AM
You get what you pay for, the Hyzod AR Polycarbonate is great stuff and holds up really well to use. You can do it for less but it won't hold up as well.

Here are two other good posts on this subject. Until Stan did this I wondered if 3/8" would fit.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35745

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39360

Stan, have you seen the post one the Donzi Powell meet in June, in the events section?

Stan
03-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys,
It's winter......Time to do those projects that will give you the most " BLING" come the boating season.
I just know you guys, when you pull off the cover in a few months you're gonna wish you did the windshield this past winter.:banghead:
Stan.......:wavey:

Stan
05-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I knew it was going to happen.......the calls are starting. I guess it's now a spring project !!

Stan.....:cool:

juststartinout
04-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Lots of great info here I first read this before i even bought my donzi. Well I bought a negelected 86' 22c this past july with many cracks in the windsheild I started to try to remove it after buying my donzi but the adhesive that bonds plexy glass is extreamly good after twenty years actualy took a small piece of gelcoat when trying to take off one of the small broken pieces off. What do you use heat or sovent or both or something else any input would be great.