PDA

View Full Version : Carb question/problem

Cuda
01-25-2006, 04:27 PM
After I got my boat back from the shop, I tried to fire it up at the ramp, and it wanted to run WFO, even with the throttle all the way back. I thought maybe I overprimed it (about three pumps on the throttle), so I brought it back home to let it sit. I went back out today, I tried to start it without pumping it, and it didn't start. I pumped it one time, and it was wanting to run away with me again. I don't know why. I took these pictures. What is this thing that the red arrow is pointed to? Is it supposed to be all the way down? The first pic is with the throttle open, and the second is with the throttle closed. I think if I moved this linkage to the back hole, it would push that piston or whatever it is all the way down. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but it is not all the way down now with the throttle closed.

Cuda
01-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I was just advised that my throttle is working backwards! That explains why it didn't do that at the shop, the mechanic was operating the throttle, and he must have been doing it backwards!:rolleyes:

Cuda
01-25-2006, 05:01 PM
This might also explain his low compression readings, if he had the throttle closed.

MrsDigger
01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Now that is scary. Reminds me of when a mechanic was supposed to be checking my plug wires and he intentionally reversed the plug wires on two of them to make it misfire...then he quoted me $1200 to fix it! I took it home, and found the two plugs totally fouled...reversed the wires, and Poof! no problem. Backwards, oy!

David Ochs
01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
The red arrow is pointed at the accelerator pump. Push on the plunger and you should get two nice (visible) shots of fuel into the primaries.

Carl C
01-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes, that is the acc. pump plunger. This is not your problem. You must have throttle plates sticking open. It could be the primaries or secondaries. Oil ervery thing up with some spray lube.

Carl C
01-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I was just advised that my throttle is working backwards! That explains why it didn't do that at the shop, the mechanic was operating the throttle, and he must have been doing it backwards!:rolleyes: So the carb was wide open with the throttle at idle position?????? Yeah, that could cause your problem!!

gold-n-rod
01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey Cuda: What time is it?

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Time to get a new mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wavey:

Cuda
01-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey Cuda: What time is it?

V
Time to get a new mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wavey:
I reckon so. Hell, I can screw them up without professional help. :)

Donzigo
01-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Cuda.............you're killing me.........OTFL........that's what I think most of the time. I can screw it up a whole lot cheaper than he can...

DAULEY
01-25-2006, 06:59 PM
was that the boat hospital

Cuda
01-25-2006, 07:08 PM
was that the boat hospital
Yep, they just hired a new mechanic. He's a pretty young guy, seems like a nice guy, and I thought knowledgeable, but maybe not. I know he will be embarassed about it, and the owner of the place is as nice a guy as you will ever meet in this business. It's just a minor mistake, I've made them before myself. I might not even tell the owner about it, if I can figure it out myself.

BUIZILLA
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Cuda, couple things...

1) right below that acell pump on the front face is an open vacuum port... see the rusty nipple facing forward, above the port mixture screw? that should be capped, that is probably a ported vacuum port...
2) I think your throttle arm top is hitting the spark arrestor base, that'll cause the throttle to stick partially open
3) look on the choke side and see where the stepped cam position is for the cold start rpm limit screw, it could be in too far when cold, and letting it race away... Qjets are common for that, the cold idle screw should be at 900-1000rpm if you have a choke stove. When it warms up, it comes off the cam and then uses the idle stop screw, on the cable side.
4) there is a small secondary lockout arm on the stb side of the carb rear throttle shaft which keeps the secondary's from opening until warm temp... if that little link is sticking on the choke linkage interlock, the rear blades won't close completely, or not open fully when warmed up. I would remove that little stepped plate from the throttle shaft, if it is even there at all.

JH

Cuda
01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I took it back down to the Boat Hospital. They guy said he didn't touch that linkage at all. I told him it wasn't like that when I brought it, and I know it didn't just jump on there by itself. I was getting a tad heated over it, they said they would fix it. Then, as I was pulling off, I realised I had never run it since I had the drive fixed, and that the one time I had the engine fired up after that, it was running wfo. I thought at the time it was because I overprimed it, but now I realise that the drive guy must have hooked them up backwards. I turned around, went back and told the guy I had falsley accused him. We checked, and they had the gears backwards too.

onesubdrvr
01-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Kudo's Joe for going back, there are many people that would have been too embarassed.

Thank-you from another type of mechanic guy
Wayne

ChromeGorilla
01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Damn Cuda...you better throw Buizilla some rep points for that post..... :yes: I tried to but it says I have to spread the love before I can give Jim some more......:biggrin:

BUIZILLA
01-26-2006, 06:58 PM
now, about the vacuum port...