PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 L Diesel FORD

need for speed
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Anyone with the 2005 6L Diesel get some letter for a control module reflash...

What about you .....Poodle ..
I really don't wana go to a ford dealer .... does it really need this??? :bawling:

18FOOTER
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
if yours is an early '05, and has an erratic idle at times, you need the reflash to correct it.

18FOOTER
01-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Also, it's mostly a cold weather problem. Your coldest day probably isn't cold enough in Naples. By the way, it's 22 degrees now and the winds doing 30 knots.:banghead:

need for speed
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
yeah maybe a cold thing its never done any funny stuff! but its never been cold really!!! yes early 05

ChromeGorilla
01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Glad I bought me a Chevy w/ Duramax...

Poodle should know NFS..... he's returned a few FORD diesels....hasn't he?????:wink: :biggrin.:

Cuda
01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I took my 05 in yesterday for something else, and they said there was a recall to reflash it or something. He said I should get better performance. I thought it was fine already. It does feel it may be a bit peppier, but I think they changed the shift points. I do think I was getting better mileage today. I saw 21 mpg, running on a flat road at 71 mph. It usually runs about 19 at that speed.

Cuda
01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Poodle should know NFS..... he's returned a few FORD diesels....hasn't he?????:wink: :biggrin.:
The guy at the Ford dealer was asking me something about under my hood. I told him the only time I raise the hood on my trucks is to give some poor sucker in a Chevy a jump.:rlol:

need for speed
01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
wow... i never see that 19 at 70 mph

Cuda
01-24-2006, 05:09 PM
:biggrin.:
Your Chevy should work fine, as long as all you are hauling are post holes. :)

Seriously, look at people that actually have to haul stuff, and depend on their trucks, Fords FAR outnumber Chebby and Dodge for workers.

Cuda
01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I also got 18.5 mpg today running 78 with 2000 pounds of tile in the back. :)

need for speed
01-24-2006, 05:14 PM
I guess i will got get this done... i hate the ford place here in naples they r .... u get the idea... :uzi:

Cuda
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
It also appears to change the shift pattern a bit, not a bad thing really..
14,500 miles. no issues.. I will most likely just file the letter away for now
I think that's the only thing I feel. I like it better, because sometimes it would feel like it wasn't sure which gear to go to if I was decelerating as it was about to shift between second and third. I didn't feel that today.21,000 miles, and no issues. The reason I took it in yesterday, was that I had the water in fuel light coming on. I got under the truck to drain the fuel/water, and I thought I saw an oil leak up on the engine. They couldn't find a leak, and said the only thing they saw was water, so they put a dye in the coolant system, and found no leak. They figured it must have been a mud puddle I had run through. I felt kind of stupid then. I'm glad they wanted to do the recall notice anyway.

mrfixxall
01-24-2006, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=Cuda]Your Chevy should work fine, as long as all you are hauling are post holes. :)
Seriously, look at people that actually have to haul stuff, and depend on their trucks, Fords FAR outnumber Chebby and Dodge for workers.[/QUOTE

Sorry cuda i beg to differ about chevy's..I have a 1992 gmc suburban 2500 with a 454 tbi motor.It just turned 356,000 miles and the engine has never been touched besides valve cover gasgets and bolt on performance products and the oil changed every 2500 miles.It's still running strong and get's 13 mpg no matter what i do but gas is still cheeper then diesel..
I never had any problems hauling my 35 cig cafe racer,my 30' race car hauler,my 24'enclosed snomobile trailer up hill to wis or even my 18' donzi. :}

By the way,about the 22 steering wheel trend is that a CHEVY tahoe or suburban in front of your 22 classic?? I thought so.;)

OOO ya about the letter from ford,some fords their finding a faulty fuel injection control module and or wire harness causing the engine to die.

Technical service bulletins since 2002 as follow's.

Ford 6.0, issued 77

Chevy 6.6 duramax issued 8

Dodge 5.9 cummings issued 0

Thay all support the same purpose..

MD

Cuda
01-25-2006, 06:45 AM
By the way,about the 22 steering wheel trend is that a CHEVY tahoe or suburban in front of your 22 classic?? I thought so.;)

MD
I had to go back to see what picture you were talking about. That Chebby belonged to the guy I bought the boat from. It had a busted something or other on the front end, and would drag one of his front tires going around corners.

Cuda
01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Sorry cuda i beg to differ about chevy's..I have a 1992 gmc suburban 2500 with a 454 tbi motor.It just turned 356,000 miles and the engine has never been touched besides valve cover gasgets and bolt on performance products and the oil changed every 2500 miles.It's still running strong and get's 13 mpg no matter what i do but gas is still cheeper then diesel..
I never had any problems hauling my 35 cig cafe racer,my 30' race car hauler,my 24'enclosed snomobile trailer up hill to wis or even my 18' donzi. :}

MD
As I stated before, a Chebby would be fine for a recreational trucker, BUT, if you had to depend on it every day to haul for your business, I bet you'd be in a Ford. My dad had a 91 Suburban, and it got 10 to 11 mpg, and dad is a conservative driver.

You had best brush up on your math if you think the gas is cheaper. Let's do a little of it here. Your truck at 13 mpg, gas here is 2.40 which gives you 18,4 cents per mile. My truck at 19 mpg diesel at 2.60 gives me 13.6 cents per mile.

Chebby had to buy back my last new dually I bought from them.

Craig S
01-25-2006, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=CudaI saw 21 mpg, running on a flat road at 71 mph. It usually runs about 19 at that speed.[/QUOTE]

Is that on an instantaneous computer readout, or with the math over a tank?

Cuda
01-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Is that on an instantaneous computer readout, or with the math over a tank?
Computer. Real world driving mix of mostly highway, and some city, I average about 18 to 18.5.

The 21 was a reading by clearing the computer when I had reached cruising altitude, and ran it for about 10 miles holding the steady speed. It was actually a couple tics above 21.

Craig S
01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I am driving a new Dodge now. I don't think my computer readout is consistently accurate - either way, but what do I know, as I am on the 4rth tank. Maybe the Ford readout is more accurate...

Cuda
01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I do know the miles to empty guage is EXTREMELY accurate. I accidently tested it last Friday. I was dicking around, not paying attention to the warning beep, because it had been doing it for a few days for the water in the fuel warning. I just kept clearing it, and not looking at the readout. I did this several time rolling up I-95. I turned of on Hwy 44, headed to Deland. Out in the middle of nowhere, between Deland and New Smyrna Beach, it beeped again, and I just happened to look down. It wasn't the water in fuel warning that had been going off, it was the low fuel! Oops! It now said 7 miles to E, and I knew I was at least that far from Deland. Just as I crested the overpass on I-4, the guage said ZERO miles to E, and it started missing.:eek!: There was a station right there that I had forgotten existed, and even then, I wouldn't have known they had diesel. I limped the eighth mile to the station.:smile:

BUIZILLA
01-25-2006, 12:32 PM
One thing you do NOT want to do with a Powerstroke is run it low or out of fuel.... I can tell you the injectors do NOT like being full of air. I have sold 3 sets this month alone, to people that ran them low, or out of fuel, and they damaged the plungers in the injectors. One set for a DT466E cost a guy $2190 plus tax, for that mistake..., the 7.3's will run ya $1664 for that mistake, not sure what a 6.0 screwup would cost yet..

JH

Cuda
01-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Trust me, I didn't mean to test it.

gold-n-rod
01-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Any new vehicle with an in-tank mounted fuel pump hates that too. The fuel cools and lubricates the pump. Run it low or dry..... boo hoo :bawling: