PDA

View Full Version : Kanye on Rolling Stone

TuxedoPk
01-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Anyone see the Kanye as Christ cover that Rolling Stone magazine came out with? Art, pure blasphemy... comments?

ChromeGorilla
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
No big deal...... The church shouldn't have any issue with it either....right....I mean it was OK for Jim Caviezel to dress up like and depict Jesus in a movie, so why not Kanye in print?

gcarter
01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
no comment

goatee
01-24-2006, 09:56 PM
im with cg

Cuda
01-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Damn, politics wan't enough???!!!!:rolleyes:

Rootsy
01-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Tux,

you need to go back to something a bit meatier... what expounding information do you have on chopper guns?:rolleyes:

MrsDigger
01-25-2006, 08:56 AM
It is in pretty poor taste...a "musician" whose speech and lyrics espouse nothing much but hatred, divisiveness, anger, and filth, portrayed in such a way on the cover of a magazine? (I'll never listen to Dr. Hook the same way again....)

It does make one wonder whose idea it was--West's, or the magazine. I mean, if West actually sees himself as a savior crucified for his "teachings" then he needs immediate treatment by a licensed mental health professional. If it was the RS editorial staff's idea, despite the distasteful nature of the image, it has served its purpose--even members of a powerboating forum are talking about it.

As a Christian, I'm not particularly upset by it--it isn't as though I have a subscription to the magazine...in fact, I have never purchased a single copy of that magazine. Rolling Stone is so far off my radar screen that if it weren't for those miserable occasions when the Dr. Hook lyrics get stuck in my head, I wouldn't even know it existed.

Doug L.
01-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I can't even think of a good comment.
What a jackass.(s)
Well said, mrsdigger.
Will you be coming to AOTH this
year??
Doug

ChromeGorilla
01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
What a jackass.(s)

Jim Caviezel or Kanye West..... or both....just curious.

MrsDigger
01-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Although I hesitated to comment on Chrome's question (I can hear his spoon scraping as he stirs the pot!), here goes...

In my opinion, the two situations cannot be compared. Caviezel played a role in a complete body of work; his portrayal of Christ was part and parcel of a greater work designed to tell one version of the crucification of Christ.

West plays no such role, unless he has assigned it to himself. Perhaps we are meant to see his crown of thorns as a metaphor for...well, I can't wrap my mind around the concept that a rational person could cast Kanye West as a Christ figure, so I don't get the metaphor. Regardless, to manage a comparison, we are left with only West's body of work; his persona, and his words. He IS his own complete body of work, and as such, I don't see how such a man, living a life such as his, could be construed as "wearing a crown of thorns" even with the broadest literary license. It seems more a blatant display of hubris. I cannot say whether or not it meets a particular church's standards of heresy or blasphemy. I don't see it as such.

I admit, though, that I thought West was a jackass long before he appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone...

MrsDigger
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
We are tentatively planning on going to AOTH this year. I know Matthew really wants to go; it depends upon scheduling and fun ticket money! We sure hope to make it.