01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
sorry kids....

gcarter
01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Keep up the great work Jamie!!!
Maybe some more "process" pics as well.

BERTRAM BOY
01-23-2006, 09:19 PM
....and then there's my side of the story.
First of all, the skinny kid (better known as our illustrious Mr. Allard) can again be seen below, right where he belongs, in the bilge of a mid-1960's Donzi.
Yeah, It's true. "The skinny kid" and I were on a mission to strip the Mid-West of her most prized possessions, or at least her mid-60's Aronow boats. Fortunately for you Michiganer's (is that a word?) we could only fit 2 boats on 1 trailer. And to be honest (as you can tell by the look of disgust on my face), I was wondering why "the skinny kid" was taking this "limp" missile back east. BTW, the potholes in Detroit are the size of Volkswagens.
So the ole blue hair boat came to her new home back east. If you Michiganer's had known how to treat a lady right, there would not have been a need for such pillaging.
Fast forward two and half years. Some flatlander who had been hounding me for the Red Mistress finally wore me down (or did I finally wear down the gutsy John Wayne of Michigan). A call was made and the words "It's time" were said.
The flatlander was on his way to the Big City.
So Friday rolls along and no John Wayne arrives as scheduled. What I did not know was that on his way to picking up his new mistress, he was also making a pickup for his best girl, his young understudy and a weiner dog.
Saturday arrives - John Wayne hooks up his new boat and we proceed to feed him and the crew - just so that they don't feel like they got screwed by the city slickers.
After an extensive four hour tour of our "state of the art" local hack and chop shop where the animals run free and "enjoy each other's company" - they were on their way back to the flatlands.
Fast forward again two and half months (not years this time). John Wayne is now feeling safe thinking he will never have to worry about these particular city slickers ever again (and his weiner dog is also safe from a life of being
a beagle's bitch). However, the city slickers had other ideas.
With nothing better to do over a four day weekend, the city slickers decided to head west to the flatlands. With the bags packed and the beagle in tow, the city slickers made their way to an unsuspecting John Wayne and crew. What better way to get back at our hero than to invite yourself to his waterfront home, drive his Donzi, eat his food, and drink his beer and wine. And of course, to have his weiner dog get a full weekend workout from the beagle was a bonus.
Moral to the story - make sure the flatlanders ALWAYS have cold beer.

BERTRAM BOY
01-23-2006, 10:12 PM
If you look VERY closley at the boweye of the 16, there is a red cloth tied to it. Chris and I thought that this would be good for safety.

How we thought someone would see the rag and not the big blue protrusion on the trailer, I'll never know.........exhaustion, I guess.

Just Say N20
01-24-2006, 07:29 AM
:confused: Makes me wonder how they loaded the trailer. . . . .

roadtrip se
01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
stops me for a little too much grime on the windhshield and you two drove through their purgatory for several hours with that thing? Lucky bastages!

penbroke
01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
NICE! At this rate you should be done by spring. What did you core the deck with?

Let me know if I can help...
Frank :shades:

onesubdrvr
01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Looking good Jamie!

Wayne

Just Say N20
01-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Great photo documentation, excellent information conveyance, enjoyable writing style, and a great way to live vicariously (especially without the itching).

Keep up the great work (both the actual project, and keeping your interested readers updated).

Those old "tilt the engine to trim the drive" packages from OMC were a trip. On most boats that had that set up, they would tilt up so far at rest that the entire outdrive was out of the water.

MOP
01-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Jamie sure looks it is coming along great it will be worth it, when done you will have rights to some good chest thumping! Been there done that and won't do it again! I still have one Dough Boy suit in the garage but hope I don't need it!

Phil

RBT
01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Great story and cool project.

Just one note, if I might add or inquire. Besure to hot coat your balsa before bedding it into the putty.
Make sure that you only use Poly resin for this as Vinal will not cure that thin. Also once you have the core in place and it is bonded, it really helps the quality of the layer of stich on top if you wet out the balsa first and let the resin kick, this keeps the balsa from drawing all the resin out of the stich.

Good luck

MOP
01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Great story and cool project.
Just one note, if I might add or inquire. Besure to hot coat your balsa before bedding it into the putty.
Make sure that you only use Poly resin for this as Vinal will not cure that thin. Also once you have the core in place and it is bonded, it really helps the quality of the layer of stich on top if you wet out the balsa first and let the resin kick, this keeps the balsa from drawing all the resin out of the stich.
Good luck

Very good point and true with most coring materials, I am not up on the new stuff but was USAF trained in that field. I was in SAC so we had all the high tech stuff of that era. Years back I tried to give a kid some ideas on glassing to foam he shugged it off. You guessed it most of his prodject came basicly came unglued, I had the last laugh then! He is now a friend and one of the best glass guys in our area, I still enjoy breaking his stones about his early project.

Phil

Cuda
01-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Those old Omc drives were called a stringer drive. My first boat, a 1972 John Allmand had a 155 V6 Buick engine and the stringer drive. I stripped the gears in the intermediate housing first time out.:bawling:

Even way back then, the gears for the intermediate housing were $450! Understand, I was probably bringing home about $150 a week at the time.

penbroke
01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
....where the whole motor tilted to adjust drive trim???? I sure would like historical info on this setup...

Yep. The whole thing would pivot on the rear motor mounts. The drive was attached to the engine (not the boat) with a rubber bellows to the transom. I'll try to dig up some info on that for ya.

Frank

Kirk
01-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Nice work Jamie....

Your posts are kinda like watching a documentary. Makes me anxious to "pop the top" replace the tank and do the wiring and install a new rub rail on my 74'. Gotta sell my house first and find a house with a nice big garage before I tackle updates.

Kirk

gcarter
02-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Looking good Jamie!
I find it remarkable that you could lay that glass into those radii like that!!!!
I had to do it in pieces. It seemed I couldn't make more than one crease in it within a certain distance.
Does this statement make sence?
Anyway, it was hard to do.

goatee
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
ok, jamie?,,,,,,,just how many donzi's do you own now?
and which one is named "root of all evil"

Looped
03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Rootsy,
Why didn't you take my ski locker to make a mold from it when Cliff had it? After all, my hull is 18-103 so it would have been the closest match you would have found.
Craig

KRAVEN
03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Looking Good Rootsy:smile: I'm taking mine in tomorrow to Ol Red Alerts glass man.I discovered a Crack in my hull at the end of season.:confused: Ian seems to think it was caused by a air pocket in the Gel Coat.I'm hoping DONZI will step up to the plate! I'll post photos asap.

Looped
03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Leave it up to quickie Cliffy to butcher up the job! :yes:

Craig

penbroke
03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Looking good there JR. I don't know where you find the time.

Frank
It seems like I've seen this before...

Cuda
03-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I've got to do something similar on my Formula project. The walls where you go in the cabin have bowed. I'm going to put a 2x4 on either side of the wall, drill a couple holes in it, then draw it down with bolts and fender washers. Can you do this on yours?

mrfixxall
03-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Rootsy, i used welding clamps followed up with a 2X4...Arre you using pine plywood? I suggest to switch to birch because it dont bleed sap out like pine does and causes delamanation..

mrfixxall
03-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Rootsy, i also used 1/4'' birch on my transm.. (multi layers)It seemed to fit the curve of the transm better for clamping..i also used a product from evercoat called filling powder that you mix with the resin(grouned up fiber glass)and made a glue out of it and used it in the corners for a nice neet clean look...It also works vary well for clamping two pieces of wood together.

good luck and your project is looking good....

MD

Morgan's Cloud
03-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Jamie,
How did you end up with the HUGE square hole in the transom ? All of the OMC drive boats that I saw had the smaller roundish bellow in the transom.
Of course it would be much easier to bolt in the new slug if you had the small roundish hole 'ready to go'.
When I put my new slug in I got a bunch of 2'x3' offcuts the width of the new slug and throughbolted them on both sides of the new trans (Epoxy glue putty etc). I have only the flat centre section on my trans. If you do through bolt (and it WILL bed down nicely that way) maybe think about doing something to help the bolts release from the trans assembly when you want them too. I knew that if the epoxy ever made contact with and fired off on my bolts I'd have never got them out. Of course the holes left over are nothing to worry about at this stage huh :biggrin:
Steve

maddad
03-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Rootsy, if you had some plywood rips, say 24" wide by 48" long, and removed 4 or 5" by maybe 32" to create a real ugly U, you might be able to drop them over the transom and use wedges/shims to drive your builtt up panel into place.

maddad
03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
This may be easier and offer many more pressured points,all backed up by the other leg on the outside of the transom.

MOP
03-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow Jamie you are "ROCKING" sure good to see the great progess.

Phil

Cuda
03-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Looking good Jamie. I imagine that would have been a helluva job putting that clamp device without the extra hands.

Btw, did Matty used to be a plumber? He's got the plumber's buttcrack going on. :)

Scott Pearson
03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Matty is working without a beer in his hand.....:biggrin:

gcarter
03-20-2006, 05:39 AM
Looks great Jamie!

MOP
03-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Jamie when you tear down that transom shield take the time to install the now missing grease fittings that Merc has done away with cheap buggers, the bosses are still there. The tiller one does take a little figuring to hit it right, but when it fails it is the worst of all it goes after about yhe 3rd to 4th season and you have to yank the engine to fix it, I think it sucks that they did away with $3-4 grease fittings, the one seal ends up costing a customer $12-1,500 fpr a $10 part.

Phil

MOP
03-27-2006, 08:11 PM
You can smell that stuff on your breath for many hours afterwards it goes through most all resoerators, my local glass guy uses a mask with an outside air supply. Ketones are a bugger not good stuff.

Phil

gcarter
03-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Jamie, too bad they didn't etch and prime it, but it's a nice looking tank.

penbroke
03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Nice looking tank there Mr. Root. The top of my rear bulkhead is just about even with the top of the tank. I just re-installed the old one as it was shorter from being under the joint in the floor.

I'm not 100% sure where your headed with the ski tray but if you're trying to reproduce the original I think we need to talk. The forward part of it is only 3 or 4 inches deep...

Frank

MOP
03-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Man you are doing good, hmm now where to put that "hole". Sure hope it all comes together the way you want by 1K.

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
speaking of which... lets start a discussion on the best paint to use and why...
Based on my own experience for marine use I always recommend Awlgrip.
But then again You guys have many more choices over there than I do.
Still , it's pretty much unbeatable in the marine environment.
Remember there is now also Awcraft 2000 a 'repairable' system .
Steve
BTW .. for me with 4 years of glasswork and painting prep behind me I think re-assembly will be an absolute pleasure (if that's possible)

mikecmrc
03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Great story.

penbroke
03-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Frank, ...please post a photo of when you lifted your deck so i can get a good visual :D

We aims to please. I'll take a couple of the vent tomorrow.

Frank :beer:

BERTRAM BOY
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Don't even try to blame this "not some catastrophy" on me. I know where you live, Dammit.

......and it's not less is more BTW, it's "Geez Rootsy, you don't need 5 gallons of resin for 6 sq. in of CSM ".

penbroke
04-07-2006, 10:32 PM
This is the part that you and maybe three other people will see, right?? Don't sweat it. You have taken on a project that many would have walked away from and are making great progress. I expect the final results will be spectacular and I hope to see it in person someday. Just think of the filling and fairing as practice for the deck/hatch...:)

Keep up the good work.
Frank :umbrella:

MOP
04-08-2006, 08:07 AM
No sweat Jamie you save labor cover the ski locker with "Wussy Fur" to protect your ski's. Seriously that stuff happens :kaioken: but I know you will make it right, just more :beer: and elbow grease.

Phil

Cuda
04-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Jamie actually took the day off yesterday from working on the boat :eek!: :eek!:
biggrin:
It must be going around. I took the day off from messing with the boats, or actually out playing with some kind of toy, and dedicated a whole day to house maintainence. I tore down an old rotten fence, and put up new stuff. What is really surprizing is I actually finished the entire job, gate and all. I've never much been into house projects, like I tell Debbie, if my head doesn't get wet when it rains, and I have a toilet that flushes, I'm good! We've been here nearly two years now, and I'm pretty sure it's the first day I've spent on the house.

What really surprized me is I actually got some sort of perverse pleasure out of doing it. I think it's because it turned out better than I thought, and it only took the one trip to Lowes to do it. I can tell you right now, if it hadn't been for all my pneumatic tools, I would have quit about halfway through it.

I was laying in bed thinking about how I enjoyed doing it, and I prayed it doesn't happen again. I think I'll wait another two years before doing something else. :)

classic_18
04-09-2006, 09:25 AM
oooooh some boat bling arrived yesterday via Rich Pflaumer ;)

Wow those look really nice. Is that the same guy who reproduces the shift knobs?

onesubdrvr
04-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Joe,

Fence looks really good, BZ!!

Patti, two things,...
1) What 'cha gonna grow in your garden??

2) Where did you get that picture of me dancin,.....I thought those days were long gone, I was just putting myself through college!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Wayne

Patti
04-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Joe,
Fence looks really good, BZ!!
Patti, two things,...
1) What 'cha gonna grow in your garden??
2) Where did you get that picture of me dancin,.....I thought those days were long gone, I was just putting myself through college!!!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Wayne

Bahahaha!

But but Wayne..I just like watching you shake your...errrr...body! :tongue:

We're growing lets see..

Two different varieties of Corn
Two different types of Onions
Broccoli
Lettuce
Carrots
Potatos
Peppers - Bell (various colors, Italian Sweet & an assload of Jalapeno's *chili anyone?* lol)
Tomatos
Sugar snap Peas
Watermelon
Cantaloupes

Strawberry bushes, Raspberry bushes etc..

PLUS today..we became parents!................

To a dozen baby chicks! :tongue:

We go two varieties and will still get some Rhode Island Reds in a few weeks..all for egg laying..and a rooster or two thrown in to irritate the neighbors! :rolleyes: :biggrin.:

Jamie is out as we speak watering and fertilizing...and keeping an eye on the babies in their brooder :)

onesubdrvr
04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
I like to call it my "Money Maker"

Sounds like you'll have some nice veggies,.....I love to cook, and REALLY like using fresh vegetables,

Sounds good!!

My parents have a bunch of chickens, every time we see them, I get a bunch of eggs, they eat lots of eggs, but I'm thinking it's about time for some Fried Chicken, Chicken Marsala, Chicken Cordon Bleu,....you get the idea!!

Wayne

Patti
04-10-2006, 06:21 AM
So the new "babies" survived their first night..thankfully it's supposed to warm up quite a bit this week and next..so the freezing temps shouldn't be an issue.

Jamie took some pics of them last night..

They are so cute! :tongue:

penbroke
05-05-2006, 09:05 AM
...AND, DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOOOOOOOOD PHOTO or two of the old #5 seats used in the early 18's????

actually... does anyone out there have a pair of old #5's that need to be tossed or something that i could possibly just have recovered, even though i know Bob really would cringe if reading this statement?

???

Frank:lookaroun

penbroke
05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I never heard them refered to as number 5 before. Let me know what you need...

Frank:yes:

penbroke
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
You don't want my ratty old seats. Hell, they must be more that 40 years old by now...

Frank :biggrin:

penbroke
05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I guess it IS pretty ratty.:eek!: I can measure/photograph anything you need...

Frank

MOP
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM
And she said throw them away:biggrin: we know good stuff when we see it:outtahere

gcarter
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I really love the white bilgecoat!
It's so sanitary looking.
And when it gets really dirty, it's so easy to touch up.

Dr. Dan
05-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I really love the white bilgecoat!
It's so sanitary looking.
And when it gets really dirty, it's so easy to touch up.

:spongebob George ... I agree, I appreciate the originality of the Grey Coats...but its so much brighter in there with the White Interlux, I just picked up 2 Qts last Friday to do some Spring Touch Ups to embarrass Todd and his pathetic "Evil Twin" boat...and his disgusting Bilge! :rolleyes:

I also found it super easy to clean up after...:beer:

Looks really great Jamie...

Doc :beer:

gcarter
05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
now i just have to flip the hull over and break out that sawzall
Took me a minute to make the connection here....you're talking about cutting off the strakes, right?
So, I guess you reinforced the inside of the hull while you were doing all the interior work, Right?

gcarter
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Well thought out Jamie.
Good luck.

BUIZILLA
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Roots & Wind

Ranman
05-10-2006, 08:32 AM
close.... :beer:

Root and Kevin W.

Why the hole pattern change on the valve covers? New heads?

CHACHI
05-10-2006, 09:31 AM
sbc & sbf... 2 different valve covers... now that ya figured out what R W is for... what is goin on here ;)

btw, yes different cylinder heads for the mouse are in the works.. i just have to go get em...Could you be starting an enginine building business? If so congratulations. Ken

goatee
05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
jamie's W.M.P.
weapon of mass propulsion:checkered

MOP
05-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Jamie did you grease teh senders conection post, Dummy me forgot. I had a pain then the whole business started to spin, I should know better but forgot. If you made the same Boo Boo be sure you have a :wrench: on the bottom nut when you break it loose.

Phil

boxy
05-20-2006, 07:52 AM
So while everyone is off partying in Kentucky.. having a gay ole time... here i am slaving away....
1 coat of etching primer... 2 coats of PPG DP Epoxy... gosh i love the smell of DP :bonk: ... this thing will outlast me... :) and ummm *cough* NO FOAM NO FOAM :D
and well parts everywhere... anyone need any rods? how bout a crank? some used pistons? many boxes on the way............ many..... :wink:

Wow Jamie, that looks great. It's a shame it's going to get all covered in foam........ :eek: :eek:

boxy
05-20-2006, 12:18 PM
just checking .... :D :D

gcarter
05-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Nothin' wrong with foam.......

If you prepare the tank like that.

:wavey:

Morgan's Cloud
05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Nothin' wrong with foam.......
If you prepare the tank like that.
:wavey:
PRECISELY George.
That's what it's all about :spongebob

EricG
05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I am really enjoying the play-by-play of this process. I am truly amazed at the craftsmanship you are showing with this "little" project of yours.

I've also got to say, the under deck "hyrioglyphics" are a very nice touch! :D

Keep up the good work.

EG

penbroke
06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
You're just having too much fun. Nice job!:yes:

Frank

BERTRAM BOY
06-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Here are a couple of before and after shots of my project. Wiring courtesy of Scott Pearson.

boxy
06-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Hey Farmer Mark........
Look what I found on the 3rd page... :D
Glad it's still here.

p729lws
06-18-2006, 10:54 AM
And all of people thought a nuts and bolts guy couldn't play with sparks :D...

When I was still doing mechanical consulting work, one of the electrical guys I worked with had a dead battery and I was helping him jump start his car. Out of habit I always look the other guy in the face and make them confirm we're using black for negative and red for positive. He gives me the "I'm an electrical engineer and I know positive from negative" look. Ofcouse he hooks them up backwards and I still give him greif about it when ever I can:yes:

Keep up the progress reports Roostsy

farmer tx
06-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Holy Cow, and I got all up in the air about nothing. Thanks Boxy. Thats what I get for staying up too late.

BERTRAM BOY
06-22-2006, 11:08 AM
It looks nice, but why are the ground leads black?

BERTRAM BOY
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
cause where i come from black is cold unless you are playing with more than 12V.... and since this doesn't have any robots or cuddy cabins i am stickin with the U.R.N.A.S.S. standards... :boat:
besides... yellow's for chickens... :p

Yellow is for chicken's? Come here and say that. I'll punch you right in the nose!!!!!!!!

Lenny
06-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Ahh, Jamie. Connecting rod #1 is gonna be a bit "down" in the compression area. Wont have any head/valve clearance issues with that one tho.

Might want to hunt for one about 11/16" longer :D

BUIZILLA
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
JR, i'm sure you already know this, but watch the skirt clearance and ring gaps with those hyper slugs,,,,,,:wink: :cool!: :cool!:

BUIZILLA
06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
since these engines run so cool, you might want to think .005-.006 on the skirt and the same ring gaps you spec'd also.006 deck clearance keeps the pressure flame from under the gasket ring...

:yes: :)

BUIZILLA
07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
.006 down...

:yes:

Carl C
07-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Yellow is for chicken's? Come here and say that. I'll punch you right in the nose!!!!!!!!:rlol: ROTFLMAO:rlol:Lookin' good, Rootsy but you better speed up or 'Poodle will be right in post #2 of this thread!:wink:

gcarter
07-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Jamie, are those steel guides for the exhaust valves?

gcarter
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
this kinda knocks down my invincibility thing... i guess i am not immune to injury...
hopefully this saves someone else from the same mistake and suffering in the future...
JR
Jamie, well stated and I'm glad you're OK.
Mortality is a difficult lesson to learn when you're young.
The older you get, the more obvious it becomes.

chappy
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Glad you're ok, scary stuff.:eek!:
Rich

BigGrizzly
07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Jamie Be carefull eyes are hard to replace and driving sucks with just one. Remember the first rules of amachinest and mechanic-- wear safty glasses and if it falls off the bench don't catch it let it drop. Repeat after me " I will be a good boy and follow the rules" Glad your OK.

penbroke
07-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Glad you're going to be OK. I've been there too...

Frank

JPR
07-06-2006, 02:00 AM
I had almost the same thing happen, stupid enough to leave it until it got rusty...well my recovery was complete, no problems, a young guy like you will heal up and learn and pass on that knowledge. Good luck, good post.

BUIZILLA
07-07-2006, 10:34 AM
me no likey.......:boggled: :bonk:

gold-n-rod
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
and the fuel tank is now in place... permenantly... lil 5200 here, lil 5200 there... few nuts and bolts and whala... honestly.. what a PITA.. wresting this thing by myself, trying NOT to nick and scratch things... had to go in and come out about 4 times to get the right build up of support... and there is NO comfortable position in the hull of an 18 when trying to work...
beer helps though ;)

Where's the foam?????? [ducking for cover]

:wink:

boxy
07-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Where's the foam?????? [ducking for cover]
:wink:
It's where it should be, between the outside and the inside of Rootsy's cooler, keeping those 16oz Silver Bullets nice and frosty........ :D

penbroke
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Nice install there Mr. Root. I know what you mean about humpin' the tank in and out alone. It's tough to do without banging things up.

What did you put between the hull and the tank?

I thought you were going to use the combo electric/sight gauge....

Frank
You ARE going to trim all those screws to the same length, right??:wink:

gold-n-rod
07-10-2006, 09:04 AM
when i realized i didn't have anything over 1 1/2 inches long in my drawers....
JR

That sounds like a personal problem, but I get a lot of emails offering products to, err, "enhance"...... if you know what I mean!!!!!!!!!!!!! Want me to forward you some? :bonk:

Moody Blu'
07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
hey JR did you ask specifically for those tabs on top of your tank or what? or did you weld them in???

shoudl i call up heimy and ask for those 4 tabs or will they come with the tank?

btw i got the 1/2" pick up as well

Moody Blu'
07-19-2006, 06:27 PM
so if i ask heimy to put 4 L brackets on 4 corners of my tank i should be able bolt my tank and and unbolt it when i put in a larger tank?

or should the l brackets be like 3 inches in on each side?

was your tank made specifically so the top of the tank is like an inch or so lower so the l brackets could be used? another words, the l brackets wont work for me?

let me know

Moody Blu'
07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I have one suggestion, how about using some aluminum backing plates before you go and cut those bolts? that would make it ultra strong wouldnt you think?

I know to support the tank, i may end up keeping this tank in place and adding a reserve tank later on

hardcrab
07-19-2006, 07:27 PM
when I speced my tanks drawings (to RDS ) , I maxed all the dimensions leaving me with 3/4" foam barrier on all fronts ................ safe move ?

Tony
07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
hardcrab...3/4" is a minimum, but I would say yes...safe move. When I did mine I ended up with between 1 and 2 inches all the way around, it took a lot of foam but to me that is an o.k. thing. Doing it over again I would probably custom build a slightly larger tank, leaving less clearance, for more capacity.

moody...do your tank job only ONCE! Either go bigger now, or stay standard, or do what I suggested above. Pulling the deck is not routine...you will very likely NOT feel like doing it again soon.

When I get a chance I need to search that contemptuous tank topic, I just can't seem to recall what is supposedly wrong with foaming a tank in...

:beer:

Patti
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
:boggled: :boggled: :boggled: :boggled: :tongue:

Patti
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Well we know it wasn't Dave..cause he was in here after breaking the door and getting locked in here..LMAO!
J/K......I didnt spend much time outside with you guys..so I dont know who did it..but I do know Jamie like this compressor much much better :yes: :biggrin.:

hardcrab
07-26-2006, 02:00 PM
I always thought there were 2 accepted ways to torque things
the first way pull on the mother till the wrench slips and you bust your knuckles into a bloody mess ( note it must be done until the knuckles are bloody or it just ain't tight enuff)
the second put your beer down and use both hands to wrench it down :eek!:
Hey I didn't break your compressor it was Cliff ;) :p
then there is the third and most common method ;
tighten it 'till it gets loose and back it off 1/4 turn :crossfing

yeller
07-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Are you going to paint in there? Can't remember the name of the stuff I used on my last engine, but it allows the oil to flow back to the crankcase quicker. Also, whats the purpose of the screens?

BUIZILLA
07-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Are you going to paint in there? Can't remember the name of the stuff I used on my last engine, but it allows the oil to flow back to the crankcase quicker. Also, whats the purpose of the screens?the paint is a GE product, I think the name is GLYPTAL.

Ed Donnelly
07-29-2006, 11:56 PM
G.E. sold the Glytal division to a few of the chemical engineers employed at G.E. in 1985...Ed

rustnrot
08-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I have followed this up till now. Why is a "rod separator" needed?

RickSE
08-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Rootsy,
Be careful with that DPLF. If you let it dry for too long it will seal up on you and your top coat won't stick. Maybe I'm telling you something you already know but if it sits for over a week you have to sand and recoat with DP to get stuff to stick. It's great stuff.

Looks good.

onesubdrvr
08-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Rootsy, first off, thanks for sharing the build with us.. Awesome job, awesome write up.
Secondly, thanks for saving the Red Mistress from her prior owner. When your done, could you go rescue his currently abused Blue Mistress??? :D :D :D
:) :) Both the dark blue and light blue Mistresses?!?!:) :)

Just Say N20
08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Rootsy alone is worthy! How do you know all this stuff? :propeller

BUIZILLA
08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't be vewy happy....:boggled: :mad:

gold-n-rod
08-06-2006, 08:32 PM
we are talking about the thickness of a piece of paper... or the thickness of a human hair here...

Are we talking head hair or "C" hair? Or a red "C" hair?

The reason I ask is because my buds are after me to name my 16 the "Little Red Sea Hare." Of course, one meaning is a small [Little] red boat [Red] that's fast on the water [Sea] like a rabbit [Hare]. The other meaning is the time honored unit of measurement used by carpenters, surveyors, engineers and others. I like the double meaning...... I think it's a neat play on words. Good boat names are plays on words.

Jamie, that is one beautiful motor. Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope you get the deck height challenge worked out to your satisfaction.

:)

rustnrot
08-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Learning alot...which is "better", the fact that the deck can? have material removed to suit or would it have been easier to fix if the pistons came out too high above the deck?

Ryan23
08-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, at least they're in the hole still. That can easily be addressed. It could have gone the other way, ya know? Had the pistons come .010-.015 out of the hole, you could have really gone on a rampage. At least you're going through the block yourself. So many people just take it for granted that everything will go to plan. I've seen my fair share of shady machine work, both at the local machine shop and OEM as well. In the end, it always seems to fall on the end user. Not many guarantees when it comes to a motor used for anything other than light, routine usage.

Ryan

P.S. Mahle doesn't have a clue when it comes to ring end gaps either. Their "LS1 specific" piston instructions had flip-flopped the gap recommendations between the top compression and second compression rings. :yes:

Donziweasel
08-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Powder coating looks unbelievable. Great job.

Patti
08-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Ohhh...Mega OR Powerball would be quite nice...i'm not picky :tongue:
So this is what's keeping you out in the shop till ohhh..9:30 at night or so..
Can't you tell how much time I spend out there? ;)

Moody Blu'
08-29-2006, 08:35 PM
hehhee heres a tip rootsy, turn the oven up to 400-500 degrees and cook the pcoat off and it will come off ALOT easeir

unless you have POR on your parts sandblasting after cooking off the pcoat is cake.. (my frame had POR on it and it was very difficult to strip it..

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=1987461&blogID=58835923&MyToken=07ade28d-d7be-446a-a7f3-ae20988c25fb

Moody Blu'
08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
ok so turn the temp higher, it will start to burn and then it will flake off try 500 deg

here you go bro

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/clinics/0500cl_pwd1.html bake it off!!

Moody Blu'
08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
i just linked you above, only thing it says is careful of warping parts..

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/clinics/0500cl_pwd1.html

supposedly airplane stripper works well too

Moody Blu'
09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
sweet

mrfixxall
09-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Rootsy,how come your using a two bolt main block?

farmer tx
09-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Jamie, Did you receive the envelope in your snail mail yet?

Rootsy
09-15-2006, 09:02 AM
WELL SO MUCH FOR THAT... guess the "Saga of the Red Mistress" ends here... i have exceeded my "quota" for attachments and cannot attach anymore photos, and so on and so forth... therefore i shall continue on with the restoration and continue to compile an encompassing story and history of this project... you can find it and follow along at www.donzi.org if you are interested... it'll be a bit as i get time to update it and put the format together, i've been working on it as i've had time... thank you for sharing this "journey" with me :)