PDA

View Full Version : Life in Central Florida

Cuda
01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
It doesn't suck!

We dropped Debbie's in, and it fired right up and didn't skip a beat. I had put a different prop on it, a 24 Turbo. I ran it out in Lake Monroe. It was pretty choppy, but it ran well. I think the prop is about dead on, I was hitting 4600~4700 rpm, which I think is just right for the 454/330 if I'm not mistaken. The boat had a fair amount of low speed porpoising, which went away with more throttle. It really tracked well at wfo, with no hint of porpoising. After I ran it in the lake, I came back in the river and let Debbie take over. We got in the cove at the launch, and I had her just put it in and out of gear, just to get a feel for when it goes in, and comes out of gear. With the transmission, it's not instantaneous, the way it is with an Alpha (no CLUNK!). After she did this a few times, I had her head to the mooring dock to practice docking. She did a good job, and set the boat right on it without any loss of rubrail, or gelcoat. Then, we headed down river with Debbie at the helm. We ran down the river a few miles, then turned around and came back up the river. I let Debbie open it up coming back, and that brought a smile to her face. I think she's ready to go solo with it.

tmdog
01-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Glad you had a nice maiden voyage. You are lucky in one respect, I can't get my wife near my boat. But, she does not complain about all the money I thrown at the boat. The T24 seems just right considering the power and size. Good luck to the new owner.;)

gcarter
01-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Pretty bloody hot today, wasn't it Joe?
I was organizing the new warehouse today and it was in the mid '80's!!!
Absolutely uncomfortable for January!

gcarter
01-22-2006, 06:19 PM
But, it sounds like you have the new 22 working!

Cuda
01-22-2006, 06:28 PM
George, if the 22 had been on the trailer better, we'd have gone to Lake Harris today. Last time we had it out, the ramp was too steep to get the bow inside the bowstop, and I didn't want to pull it that far with it bouncing. I locked it down with a comealong today before we left.

onesubdrvr
01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Nice Joe,

Glad it was a good day, would have love to see the look of Deb's face when she opened it up!!

OH well,...

We'll see 'ya around!
Wayne

Cuda
01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
A guy pulled in behind us when we were pulling out of the ramp. He has a 2004 16, with a 260 horse 5.0. It looked and sounded great. I talked to him, and told him about the registry, and about Mt Dora. He said this is his second Donzi. He had a 1990 18C that he sold in 94. He bought a 16 this time so it would fit in his garage. He said it porpoised a lot, until he put the tabs on it. As we were pulling out of the lot, he was on the side of the road, wiping down his hull. Another car had pulled up beside him and was talking to him. When I got up to him, I told him everytime you stop with a Donzi, someone will come up and talk to you about it. :)

Cuda
01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
So, does that mean Deb is bringing her own boat down for the show this year??
Yeah, we plan on bringing the 22. She said I can ride with her, if I'll be her rope monkey. :(

MOP
01-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Congrats to Deb, I think you two have one that will not agrivate you awhile. Best of luck with it.

Phil

gold-n-rod
01-22-2006, 07:10 PM
A guy pulled in behind us when we were pulling out of the ramp. He has a 2004 16, with a 260 horse 5.0...... He said it porpoised a lot, until he put the tabs on it.

I've not seen tabs placed that far inward before. Mine, on the exact same hull/powerplant, are factory installed and must be at least 6" further out (to the sides).

And that bimini :shocking: :alligator