PDA

View Full Version : Bennet trim rockers

joseph m. hahnl
01-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I want to put my trim tab rockers on the stearing wheel.
Does any one now the configuration of the Bennet switches?
I found some round hole (on)off(on) momentary rockers switches
that will fit in a .800 dia hole. they are single pole double throw>
Will that work?

joe

smokediver
01-21-2006, 06:02 PM
their web site has all the info you need . wiring diagram , everything ....

joseph m. hahnl
01-21-2006, 07:38 PM
their web site has all the info you need . wiring diagram , everything ....

Thanks Smoke: I check there site and they don't seem to have any information on the rockers them selves.

So if any one knows what the spec is for the rocker (spst/spdt/dpdt etc.)
it would be a great help.

joe

Lenny
01-21-2006, 08:06 PM
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=719&CategoryID=91

joseph m. hahnl
01-22-2006, 08:38 AM
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=719&CategoryID=91

Thanks Lenny: I don't think those will work with the standard wheel . They do give me a whole new out look for mounting: I can make a bracket that will bolt to the spokes and put the switches closer to the out side of the wheel.It would be less expensive to make the brackets myself.

My original concept is to drill a .800 hole in the spokes and mount a snap in rocker.This will keep it neat and simple and keep the wires closer to center
Drilling out the steering shaft would be a chore. I hope I don't need to go that route.

I still haven't got the answer on the rockers. So if Any one Knows?

joe

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 08:53 AM
How does one handle the wire to the switches with enuff slack to let the wheel travel it's full range?? I would be concerned with tangles,chaffing and wear I like the idea of having the switches close to the wheel tho, this setup always impressed me a joy stick for the tabs and a lever for the trim
I bet a double lever set up would work this way you can operate one or both of the tabs at once

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6391&d=1095892766

MOP
01-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Joe I have never heard of anyone drilling the shaft, that sounds like a real bum idea. Most use coil retracting wires, but below they mention wireless that would be slick but probably expensive.

http://www.rexmar.com/page41.html
http://www.midtnmarine.com/products.asp?cid=Teleflex+Pro+Trim+Switches

joseph m. hahnl
01-22-2006, 09:33 AM
How does one handle the wire to the switches with enuff slack to let the wheel travel it's full range?? I would be concerned with tangles,chaffing and wear I like the idea of having the switches close to the wheel tho, this setup always impressed me a joy stick for the tabs and a lever for the trim
I bet a double lever set up would work this way you can operate one or both of the tabs at once
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6391&d=1095892766

I like those also : they do make the braket so you can mount 2 levers one on either side. As far as the wire thing goes I agree it is somthing i will need to work out before I drill anything: maybe a swivel type thing like on the front break on a BMX bike?

It also apears as if the bracket mount to the stearing wheel ones are for manual stearing only. The shaft must be sealed up inside a cover in the hydro steer. Which is what the Minx has.

Where there is a will ther is a way. "I shall be victories":yippie:
joe

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Just remember when you put the two levers on both sides of the wheel you are in a mirror image or parrelel universe whats up is down and what's left is right i mean what 's left is correct, well maybe :p

joseph m. hahnl
01-22-2006, 02:55 PM
well Here it is: the problem of the wiring is solved thru the hub. in order for it to work there needs to be a stationary hub with seperated conductive grooves or plates with the wires from the HPU. You then need another hub connected to the stearing wheel hub with spring loaded contacts with the rocker wires connected to it. the wheel will then turn any amount it wants while still making contact and not shearing the wires. They make a hub that does it for $400+ .
i can make it for way less and my design will use the existing steering hub.

I have a few options . I can have the contacts come out horizontaly or vertically. I want the simplest design and the least amount of parts.
when i get the final design and test it. i'll post it with pictures and specs for any one who whould want to do the same.

joe

DickB
01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I still haven't got the answer on the rockers. So if Any one Knows?
joe
Look here: http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/m80page2.htm
DPDT

joseph m. hahnl
02-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I ordered the stock today for the hub. I have the contact rings all cut .I.m going to use 6 so I can hitch up a horn button on the steering wheel while I'm at it. mini rockers are back ordered DPDT (ON)OFF(ON) very rare switch
I can see why Bennet Rakes you over the coals for them. But I did find some they fit in a 3/4 X 1/2 Inch cut out. They also sell a rubber boot you can put over them to seal them. I can't wait to start cutting the hub. should only take a few hours 4 at the most. you've got to take your time when you spring for the material your self:smash:

joe

joe

joseph m. hahnl
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Success: I've completed the assembly, I just need a warm day to install it in the Minx. I was able to mount the Mini Rockers in the foam pad with out drilling into the Steering spokes.Sorry no pictures Yet. I tested it for continuity and it works flawless. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for when i put 12 volt current thru it. I think I might have a power button on the dash incase it malfunctions and I should need to kill the power. Plus I think it would be best to be able to shut of the current in the hub while it's not in use. So far so good everthing is working out great.
This part tickles me pink : I Got the horn button to work when I push the blue Donzi Marine emblem on the foam pad.

joe

joseph m. hahnl
03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
It warmed up saturday and I was able to install the hub and stearing wheel.
It works perfectly even if I am turning the stearing wheel at the same time. I ended up hitching the wiring to the Bennet rocker switch > I left them in place for the just in case . It's also easier to reach from out side the boat when trailering. "TABS UP PLEASE". unfortunatly the pictures of the assembly didn't come out. It took roughly 6 hours to complete with setups and machining. $75.00 in material "Black Nylon" 6 rings billet cut from .187 T6061 aluminum plate I had that on hand but would be about $10.00 . The spring plunger screws were $30.00 / 6@$5.00 . the rockers were $1.47 each. and the rubber covers were $2.00 each. plus wire I used 14 gage trailer wire.

joe

DickB
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Not that you would do it, but pressing 'up' on the wheel switch and 'down' on the original at the same time will probably let the smoke out of something.

Formula Jr
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Has anyone considered foot switches for trim? Bennetts and Drive?
Drive could be just two switches on the right side, parallel with the keel and the bennets could be a four switch diamond pattern on the left side.

Ed Donnelly
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a foot switch just for the drive trim.
Came that way from the factory....Ed

boatnut
03-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Do you have enough contacts on the hub for an eject button?? :) By the way, I have an Audi with rocker switches on the wheel that allow shifting the trans up and down (when the auto is in manual mode). It is so cool, makes you feel like you are driving a Formula One car (I have a wild imagination). I think being able to trim the boat with both hands on the wheel will allow for more agressive kick-ass driving techniques, hope it all works out.