PDA

View Full Version : Vintage values or auctions?

BUIZILLA
01-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Alrighty then....

I've been diligently sitting here watching the B-J circus (did I see Bill S. on TV last night??), and wondering why there isn't a boat auction(s) of the same caliber for vintage, woody and classic boats? Why is it that vintage cars and musclecars get all of this spotlight, and equally or more rare, vintage and muscle boats, don't? Me, I like the Ventnor's...

How is it, that a 1 of 69 Camaro can bring $800,000, and a 1 of 29 Donzi can't bring 5% of that, and the Camaro when new, cost 1/5 of the Donzi when new??

Thoughts?

:umbrella:

Cuda
01-21-2006, 09:01 AM
The Camaro fans have a lot larger base.

boldts
01-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Hey, I thought I saw Bill also last night. Was wondering if he went to the auction. I think it's a supply vs demand thingy as far as a vintage or classic boat auction. How many times have we seen the Satins Chariot boat for sale and no money being offered? How about the Critter that was redone and been for sale forever? I believe it was last year, but I believe they auctioned off a Miami Vice Scrab? They kept showing it as they went to commercials with all the bikinni clad ladys on it. I think I've also seen in the complete list a boat or two in the past.

Sure are some beautiful cars being auctioned and a lot of $$$$ being spent on them.

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 09:03 PM
the answer to your question lies in many areas
first most of the cars that are averaging 4-10 times their original price are the muscle cars and the people with the money now are the aging baby boomers that remember their first car was a 71 chevelle and all they remebr about their first boat was ... the happiest day was when they bought it and the day they sold it
second most car guys have they own stable and you don't need a middle man to enjoy your toy as you do with the marina in boating, just think about having to call ahead to aplace and have your ride uncovered and ready to go or loading it up on a trailer and going to a parking lot of student drivers???
we are surrounded by water but mostly we LOVE our cars
third we are a limited audience, we love the boats no matter what even that the old and rare ones have any paper work backing them up, and that we really are the only ones that drive the values, now i'm driving a 40 year old piece of fiberglass and it has served me well for the last 5 years and I can sell it for what i paid for it, I'd say we ain't doing so bad ;)

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 09:14 PM
oh and the closest thing we had to barrett jackson was the dustoff and it seemed people bitched to much it was a show, boats were judged at the docks when we should be out on the water ????
sorry to quote my parents
we are our own worst enemy
and we have no one to blame but ourselves

Rootsy
01-23-2006, 07:17 AM
i really liked the GM bus that fetched a cool 4 mil... and the 70 LS6 that went for a tidy sum of 1.15 mil... some people just have way too much cash i tell ya...

You'll only see prices like that at B-J... plus i've been to a LOT of auctions in my lifetime and damn... to pay 8% buyers and sellers commissions... B-J sure is raking in a tidy sum i reckon...

seemed sunday's vehicles were bringing less than those out of the gate saturday though....

oh to dream... maybe it's the resin fumes :smile:

JR - itchin til sometime in 2007

mattyboy
01-23-2006, 07:55 AM
they guy who bought that fred flinstone ralph cramden looking bus for 4 million dollars needs to go to Texas and pickup the 58k 16 then tow it back to what ever looney bin he escaped from and take the boys out for a fishing trip like jack did in one flew over the kookoo's nest :rolleyes: :rlol:

olredalert
01-29-2006, 12:11 PM
-------Dont think you guys saw me as I spent most of my time in the "bidders bar"!!!!!!!!!! LOL! No need to worry about the wallet, Poodle. There was only one car in the entire event that I liked and went for decent money and a Texas friend of mine was bidding on it so I stepped back. A 1966 Chev Caprice with original 427/425 4-speed combo. Very tasty and very rare, right, Jim??? Word on the street was that the guy bidding on the bus caught the auctioneer schill-bidding and retracted his bid. Final price was rumored to be in the 2 to 2 1/2 mil range. My room-mates flew in in thier Citation. Bastards didnt offer me a lift home either..........Bill S

boldts
01-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Bill, so a BJ auctioneer was bidding to raise the price on the bus? Or was he also interested in buying the bus? I've been to a few car auctions in my time, so I've seen friends of the seller do the same thing. BJ though is a whole nother world though from your local Saturday night car auctions. You'd think it would be better policed. Especially being a televised world wide gathering. I guess 8% from the buyer isn't quite enough? Too bad. I thought this was the best there was to offer. I'm disappointed that a historical car auction is all about the dollars made and not the love of the car being offered.

BUIZILLA
01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Bill, the champagne car??? yup, coolest of the bunch...
You do remember I used to have a '68 Z24 SS427 right? triple black??
I'm SURE there was a least one other big $$$ auction that got run up by the pedestal mouthpiece. My GS has better documented race history than that LS-6 convert did...

JH