PDA

View Full Version : SBC Heads

Cuda
01-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I've got low compression on two different cylinders, one on each side. With the price the shop wants for pulling the heads and having them rebuilt, I figure I can buy some rebuilt heads.

It's a 350, with a fairly healthy cam (don't know which one). I have EMI aluminum exhaust, and a Q jet carb on a cast iron gm high rise intake. What heads would perform the best? I'm talking of stock type heads, not hi po stuff. What size valves, combustion chamber, and ports would work well? Do you have a casting number for what I should be looking for?

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I've got low compression on two different cylinders, one on each side. With the price the shop wants for pulling the heads and having them rebuilt, I figure I can buy some rebuilt heads.
It's a 350, with a fairly healthy cam (don't know which one). I have EMI aluminum exhaust, and a Q jet carb on a cast iron gm high rise intake. What heads would perform the best? I'm talking of stock type heads, not hi po stuff. What size valves, combustion chamber, and ports would work well? Do you have a casting number for what I should be looking for?
Joe,
change the intake and go to Vortec!! 20-30hp gain over stock, fairly good price at Jegs.
Wayne

Cuda
01-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Joe,
change the intake and go to Vortec!! 20-30hp gain over stock, fairly good price at Jegs.
Wayne
Then I get into issues on the intake, and the amount of lift without modifying the heads.

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Then I get into issues on the intake, and the amount of lift without modifying the heads.

Don't need to modify the heads (obviously depending on cam), but with my cam, I didn't have to modify the heads at all (just went to slightly beefier springs)

Intake - For $200.00 (or less), Performer, Performer RPM, or AirGap,

And it's gotta come off to do the heads, so why not?

Just an idea,... could allways go with Sportsman II's

Wayne

Cuda
01-19-2006, 07:04 PM
You can't go more than .470 lift with the Vortecs without mods. I don't know what cam is in it now, but I know the one I put in the other engine was a .490 lift. Also, I've never found a cast iron carb intake for a Vortec.

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Joe,

GM also introduced a new style Vortec head that allows for lift's up to .530 (up from .475), perimiter and center mount valve covers, and BOTH type of intake manifold mounts. Of course, they are the same price as the sportsman II's.

Another popular head would be the Iron Eagle's

Wayne

MOP
01-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Joe I went with Darts they are setup for 600 lift, fellow in Mass puts them out for a decent number. Jamie has some new ideas for heads, forgot what he told but he may chime in soon.

Phil

Cuda
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm sure I'm going to go with just some chevy heads, I've got already WAY too much money sunk in this boat. :(

BUIZILLA
01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Joe, going to the Vortec heads from what ya got requires new longer pushrods, new intake, new self aligning rockers....yada,yada.... GM has some nice replacement heads for $560 for a PAIR that can't be beat, new and COMPLETE, use your old rockers and pushrods...

Or you can step up to what rughead just bought... :garfield:

JH

Cuda
01-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Or you can step up to what rughead just bought... :garfield:
JH
My pockets ain't that deep.:bawling:

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 08:19 PM
who's rughead and what did he buy??

Wayne

Cuda
01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
who's rughead and what did he buy??
Wayne
The shaggy dog. He bought some Sportsman's or Dart's or some other high end heads. :)

mrfixxall
01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Joe 18deg cast iron cylinder heads from alabamacylinderheads.com.....400.00 bucks,,with valves and springs.....1800-235-4323