PDA

View Full Version : Image Code Threat

MOP
01-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Many may have read about the WMF security code issue that can allow images to infect a computer. Below is a link to Steve Gibson's site which is one of the most trusted security sites available on the net, there you can down load a tiny file to check your system. Once down loaded just click on it and in an insant it will check your system. Oh by the way it is a good site to poke around on for some very good free securuity tools and checks.

http://www.grc.com/wmf/wmf.htm

Below is a link is a very good link to Fred Langa's site, he was the editor of Windows magazine for many years. He now provides an email called "Langa List" that will keep you very well informed of computer issues, I have considered Fred's email a must for about 15 years. You can check it out and decide if you wish to get his updates and info via email.

http://langa.com/

Phil

txtaz
01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Good site Phil. Thanks for the info.
Da Taz <<-- Hoofing it...Jeep water pumps are a pain in the rear to replace. Knuckles??? Who needs knucles???

joel3078
01-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Yup grc.com is a great site. Anyone remember Spinrite for the old MFM hard drives? This is where Mr. Gibson got his start. By the way, MFM really stood for more friggen money. As in, lemme guess, you want a bigger hard drive for your 386 computer it's gonna cost ya. Geez, not much has changed.

MOP
01-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Yup grc.com is a great site. Anyone remember Spinrite for the old MFM hard drives? This is where Mr. Gibson got his start. By the way, MFM really stood for more friggen money. As in, lemme guess, you want a bigger hard drive for your 386 computer it's gonna cost ya. Geez, not much has changed.

My mighty 8080 IBM MFM drive machine was state of the art at 20megs running Unix, I used that machine as a word processor and internet priority BUC broker listing. It at the time was 4 time the cost of a new 4.3, it on the advice of my then Comp Garu left running 24 hours a day. No joke it ran for 11 years, it shut down during power failures but came back to life faithfully until one day it just black screened and died. I doubt if the stuff built today will be a faithful, we sure know the Op Sys's are not. Hmm to think my UPS weighed about 60lbs with its hugh acid battery. Even further back my first modem you laid the phone into its reciever! **** I am really dating myself LOL!

joel3078
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Phil,

I still have a IBM clone XT-Turbo with a 10 or 20 meg Seagate bigfoot style mfm hard drive, color screen, 360k floppy, loaded with a bunch of software and the original IBM Dos and Lotus 123 disks and manuals. Wanna buy it? Dang thing still works perfectly. It's been in storage for many years now and was on Ebay a couple months ago. People want this system but shipping costs killed the ebay deal.

txtaz
01-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Joel, I have the latest version of SpinRite. It is awesome for recovering a crashed drive. I keep a copy of the ISO (CD-Image) on a pen drive just in case I need it.
Da Taz