01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
What are the dates? Any plans yet?

pmreed
01-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Here you go Joe,
[Basic info here:

Antique Boat Festival
Dates: March 23-26, 2006
Over 150 antique, classic and historic boats are on display at the southeast's largest event of this type. www.acbs-sunnyland.com

Booked my room for Friday/Saturday. I'm in at the Inn .
LAKESIDE INN ~ 100 North Alexander Street ~ Mount Dora, FL 32757 USA
Toll Free 800.556.5016 or Local 352.383.4101

pmreed
01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Joe, I just happened to remember that Bob's boatless now. I don't know if he's interested in setting up lunch this year. I'll give him a call; if he's out of it, I'll pm you and we'll figure things out. Maybe George'll want to chime in too.

Phil

Cuda
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Joe, I just happened to remember that Bob's boatless now. I don't know if he's interested in setting up lunch this year. I'll give him a call; if he's out of it, I'll pm you and we'll figure things out. Maybe George'll want to chime in too.
Phil
Phil, if you talk to Bob, tell him I might have a Donzi he can borrow if he wants. :)

RedDog
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
I have always wanted to come to this event but other commitments have always held me back. This year I will be on my own for that weekend - family off on trips that I don't care to make (well one of them I won't be invited on - son's senior beach trip). If I could find a Donzi ride(s) and cheap lodging I may venture down. Are there camping facilities near by or if there is another Donzite that would care to split a room I would be interested. If someone lives close by and could offer a shower, I could camp in your drive in my Yukon - looking for options and wouldn't be hauling my Donzi down.

If anyone has a suggestion, PM me - thanks

onesubdrvr
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm hoping to make this event, but can someone tell me the proposed schedule for Saturday? (where to put in / meet, what we're doing, when we'll be done), I most likely won't come until Saturday AM, and leave Sat PM.

Thanks!
Wayne

gcarter
01-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Well Wayne, I'm not aware that there is a schedule for Saturday yet.
But that doesn't mean we can't make one up.
If Bob's not available, I sure don't mind helping out.
Maybe Phill can call Bob (who happens to live near him) and find out if he's in.
There may be some new options available for Saturday lunch.

I posted this last year;

It's a shame but Mt. Dora always double bills the Boat Show with some sort of art show so the rooms always go way in advance.
So assuming Mt Dora and Tavares is already gone here are the hotels in Leesburg, in addition to the Microtel;

Day's Inn 1115 W. North Blvd. 352-787-3131

Microtel (352-315-1234) 9700 US 441, Leesburg. This hotel is less than two years old and very clean. $50.00-$60.00/day.

Another Microtel near me in Lady Lake...850 S. Hwy 27-441
352-259-0184

Super 8 1392 W. North Blvd. 352-787-6363

Also for those w/ trailers and coaches;
Fisherman's Cove RV Park Golf Motel and Marina
29115 N. Eichelberger, Tavares 352-343-1233

And for the really well heeled;
Mission Inn Golf and Tennis Resort
10400 CR 48, Howey In the Hills 352-324-3101
This place is pretty neat, the G-7 met here once. Really world class and it's really not much more than Lake Side. Has a marina on Lake Harris. The golf course here is rated about #5 in the state.
Also I'm reposting this link for a map;
http://www.lcwa.org/PublicFiles/GISR...is-chn-map.pdf
A probable starting point for the Ocklawaha River trip is #3 at the bottom of Lake Griffin.
A really good place to launch into Lake Dora for the show is #14, Wooten Park, next door to the Court House, has 11 trailer parking places. Also a large facility near #7 with a large parking lot but a lot more public.
Fisherman's Cove is located just to the West of the Hwy 19 sign just North of Hickory Point on Lake Harris.

Tidbart
01-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Hello Guys,

May not have a boat, but I never miss a good time. I am calling the restaraunt tomorrow. I am sure they will love to have us back.

You guys start on the rest of the weekend. I like the Friday trip up the Oklawaha last year. That was Friday, right?

George, any word on if the river is cleared yet? Even if it isn't, a run up to the dam and beyond would still be fun.

I will update as soon as I get some reservations in and then we'll start with the head count.

Bob

gcarter
01-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for posting Bob.
No, I haven't been back up. But it would be fun to find out.
I'd like to do that soon. Maybe some others would like to join in.
Maybe this Saturday, before I start on the bottom.
Phil?
Joe?

Cuda
01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
I think I read on Scream and Fly that the river is cleared and open again.

Budmann
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Roberto, you and Rhyana are welcome in the budman yachet!:wink: :wink: You know how to reach us!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Hell, I might need to take Friday off then, sounds like that's when we're gonna run?

I'd love to see the show and take some pics too.

Dock party,.....well, ok, if you insist :beer:

Wayne

gcarter
01-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry guys, but the lake map link I posted above is no longer active - Lake County Water Authority (LWCA). I've searched the site, and no luck. Maybe their updating it. Also maybe someone downloaded a copy last year. I thought I did, but I can't find it.

pmreed
01-20-2006, 12:19 AM
George et al, Here's a site with a downloadable .pdf map of the Harris chain.
http://www.lakecountybass.com/harris_chain_fishing.html

ps: George, it's the same map we used last year, so all the landmarks are the same.

Phil

Tidbart
01-21-2006, 12:52 PM
:yes: We are in at the Crazy Gator for lunch on Saturday!
We have the back room reserved. Can't wait to see y'all!!

I will update with a proposed schedule and a tentative head count.in the future.

Bob

onesubdrvr
01-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Looking forward to it!

Hope I can make it this year!!

Wayne

gcarter
01-21-2006, 04:05 PM
George et al, Here's a site with a downloadable .pdf map of the Harris chain.
http://www.lakecountybass.com/harris_chain_fishing.html
ps: George, it's the same map we used last year, so all the landmarks are the same.
Phil
Thanks Phil for finding that sucker!!!
I've downloaded a copy onto several of my computers.
I'm also uploading one to to the site so we'll have it available.
It's a nice map and scalable.

Last Tango
01-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Nancy and I will be there on Saturday with the Donzi. We are also bringing some relatives to ride with us. We will be at the Lakeside Inn at about 10:30, ready to party, see old boats, run the lakes and the Dora Canal, and have lunch at Gators with the gang, again.
We may also tempt some non-Donzi friends to bring their boat as well.
We will stay until it either gets too cold, too buggy, or Nancy gets too partied.
Hoping for warm air, clear skies, and smooth water. Today is January 22, and we had ALL of that yesterday and today on the St. Johns.
Can't wait to race the Amphicars, again.
We will be putting in at Trimble Park and motoring over from there.

yobeslanding
01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't think I'll have the Sweet 16 ready to go by show time this year, but I'm on Lake Dora about one mile east of the Dora Cannal. The boat is in a shop on Lake Eustis. If anyone wants to see the v-drive project , that can be arranged. We also have a 30' Twin engine Gentlemans Racer under construction in the same shop. Mike

Tidbart
01-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey Yobeslanding,
Hope you can make it to our gatherings anyway. Tentatively, dock party Friday night at the Lakeside Inn, Saturday lunch at the Crazy Gator in Eustis, and Friday run up the Oklawaha. Rides will be available as there is usually plenty of extra seats with welcoming Seadogs.

Bob

Budmann
01-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Tried to book room this morning and Lakeside Inn is sold out!:bawling: :confused: :confused: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Any suggestions??? I hope I don't have to resort to that hotel with the extra night business.

gcarter
01-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Tried to book room this morning and Lakeside Inn is sold out!:bawling: :confused: :confused: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Any suggestions??? I hope I don't have to resort to that hotel with the extra night business.
Bud, it's always booked at this time.
Take a look at my post above and try the Microtel. It's pretty new, has free wireless. And it's only about $65.00/night.
Location is good too.

yobeslanding
01-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Hello Guys,
May not have a boat, but I never miss a good time. I am calling the restaraunt tomorrow. I am sure they will love to have us back.
You guys start on the rest of the weekend. I like the Friday trip up the Oklawaha last year. That was Friday, right?
George, any word on if the river is cleared yet? Even if it isn't, a run up to the dam and beyond would still be fun.
I will update as soon as I get some reservations in and then we'll start with the head count.
BobThe river is clear to Silver Springs. You can boat up to the park but no dockage is available at the park . We made the trip this past spring ,it's a great trip. Mike

sweet 16 1966
01-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I am in with the red boat! Friday run would be nice, especially if we run all the way to Silver Springs. Will be looking for lodging for Thursday on.
Not sure if Sheila will make it but will see. Its the only event the 16' likes so far!

Mike, I do want to see the boat progress. I will plan on calling you as time nears. I wanted to paint my hull but time seems not to be on my side.

RedDog
02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Does anyone have any updates on this gathering? I still hope to make it - have a room reserved at Leesburg Thursday - Sunday.
George C - you offered a ride for the weekend but will you be back in the water by then? I need a ride if I'm coming - any backups I could count on? What if there are 2 of us instead of just 1? I have beer and gas money....

Tidbart
02-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Red Dog
Here is the tentative schedule so far.

Friday morning: Leave the Lakeside Inn docks at about 10:30 for Silver Springs. Hopefully it won't be as cold as last year. This should take until late afternoon. Good idea to take a lunch with you as there aren't a lot of places to stop along the way.

Friday evening: Dock party at the Lakeside Inn. BYOB and BYOM (munchies).

Saturday: Leave the Lakeside Inn docks at 11:00 for a run to the Crazy Gator in Eustis for lunch. I have the back room reserved for our large group. This restaraunt has been very accommodating the past couple of times we have gone there and there is ample dock space.

That is it so far. In a couple of weeks, I will call for a list of attendees.

Hope to see you there.

Bob:D

gcarter
02-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Does anyone have any updates on this gathering? I still hope to make it - have a room reserved at Leesburg Thursday - Sunday.
George C - you offered a ride for the weekend but will you be back in the water by then? I need a ride if I'm coming - any backups I could count on? What if there are 2 of us instead of just 1? I have beer and gas money....
Oh yeah!!!
I'll be ready:wavey: :yippie:
Not to worry. And two of you would be fine.
But even in a worst case...there's LOTS of seats.
And Bob is right about bringing lunch on Friday. There is a park at the juncture of the Silver River and the Ocklawaha Rivers. It would be a good place to stop for lunch and a potty break.
We never made it that far last year because of storm damage. I'll never forget Russ trying to extricate himself from the top of a downed tree using a paddle. I thought we might have to tow him off.
The sad thing was we were SOOOOOclose to getting through.

TOPSY II
03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Hey George!

Long time "no talk"...been super busy in my world, after Katrina, my company has been busy relocating restaurant folks, re-building, and "sword fighting" with insurance adjusters.

FYI to all in the area....BIG gathering of Jersey Speed Skiffs planed for the same weekend at Mt. Dora...as some of you may recall, I also have one of those and the Minx!) As of this writing over 40 skiffs ( and some of the original builders from the 60's) are planning to be there from 3/23 to 3/26.

BIG decision Skiff or Donzi, Donzi or Skiff...what to do, what to do?

TOPSY II

Pete:beer:

sweet 16 1966
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Went out for one more run before Dora. Needed to time it for optimum outout and still be able to crank. Got it all done today, ran very well.
As I was looking around under the hatch, I noticed water dripping from the pump. Back home, pulled the water pump and finally found one which was same-67 mustang 289-. Took quite some time to get the right one ordered.
Still getting ready for Dora!! (How many hours of prep= 1 hour of boating fun?)

Budmann
03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
:bawling: :bawling: Well we will miss everyone this year!!! Trying to get boat ready for Keys trip and just can't get it tip top for this weekend.

Be safe my fellow Donzi friends!!!

Bud

gcarter
04-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Paging Mr. Carter, paging Mr. Carter ;) ;) :D
Yep....100/1!