PDA

View Full Version : 1968 F14 restoration

Bill McCleneghen
01-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, after alot of procrastination, the project has begun, Started today by pulling the motor, and starting to unscrew the cap from the hull. The fuel tank has a leak and needs to be replaced. The plan is is to do a total restoration, I would like it to look like it just came out of the show room. I would gladly welcome any suggestions, or ideas, or similiar stories.

Cuda
01-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Got any pictures?

Bill McCleneghen
01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I will be taking some pictures and will post them.

Bill McCleneghen
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
almost ready to pull the cap:

Bill McCleneghen
01-19-2006, 06:46 AM
I am considering putting updated power in the boat, currently have a Mercruiser 140 with an alpha drive. I wouldnt mind more HP, does anyone know what my opions are without cutting into the original cap or deck? Also curious where others have put the trim tilt pump.

P.S. I was very surpised how easily the cap comes undone from the hull, all it takes is the removal of alot of screws. I will be lifting it off this weekend.

gcarter
01-19-2006, 07:21 AM
It may be a good candidate for a 4.3. Wouldn't be any longer, just wider. Maybe Lenny could build a (slightly) wider engine cover. Or maybe split the existing one and add a center section to widen it.
Trim pump.....I had Brian Kamrath (RIP) build a beautiful transom bracket for mine. If you read the thread I posted above, there's some pictures in there somewhere.

MOP
01-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Another consideration for power may be the Merc 470, 170HP light aluminum block so it may not weigh much if any more then the original. They are a little lumpy at idle but smooth out with a tiny bit of throttle and have a great torque range. They come standard with side mounted F/W cooling, they had only a few accessory weak points. The voltage regulator and the in balancer stater, both are easily cured with a readily available alternator kit. They seem to run forever and are around for cheap $$. I Googled "Merc 470" and spotted a complete drive and all package for $800!!

Phil

EDIT! They came in 170 and 190HP, also the $800 one is in fresh water country!

Craig S
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Here is the engine that needs to go in this boat. I will own this engine forever.
What kind of engine is that?

MOP
01-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Tommy found a pair of super charged Mazda rotories, super light and lots of HP for their size, but turn real high RPM's but I know he is working on that issue.

Phil

Bill McCleneghen
01-19-2006, 10:26 AM
I really do not want to alter the boat in any way in order to get more HP. I want to see if there is a motor with more HP, but will fit in the same place.
My current 140 pushes the boat at a pretty good speed, so I could just keep it,,,but doesnt everyone with a Donzi want more HP.

Bill McCleneghen
01-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Pulled the cap off of the boat today, I'll post some pictures tomorrow, after I clean out the hull. Project isgoing really well so far, any tips on how to free the tank up?

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Bill
pics would be great
a small cross cut saw should handle the foam around the sides, I've been told that acetone will softern up the foam but I have never tried it,working a wire under the corner in under the tank might give you enough of a bite to pull up one corner once you get the tank moving you can work it out like a loose tooth, I assume that the bulk heads are real tight so getting a pry bar will be hard
also I have the info for the original donzi 23 gallon tank not sure what tank they put in a 14 but i wouldn't be surprised if it is the same tank as the 16 and 18 let me know if you want the info

good luck

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 07:08 AM
I was also told that lacquer thinner would soften the foam, the tank is pretty small, I beleive about 20 gallons. My plan is to take it to a local guy and just have him replicate it. The hull is in great shape, I am excited about how well this project is progressing.
Anyone know where I can find an Original type gear shift/throttle?

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Scott Pearson might have a morse shifter around plus he has awesome shifter knobs available
where's the fill on a f 14???

BUIZILLA
01-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Bill, where are you located? i'd like to see what your doing...

Jim

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 08:52 AM
The fuel fill is on the port side towards the bow, just forward of the tank,

Here come the pics.

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Here are the pics

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
having trouble with the pictures

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 09:48 AM
More Pictures

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I am in Delray Beach Florida

mattyboy
01-22-2006, 09:51 AM
looks to be about the same tank as mine but with a different fuel fill for the walkaround config is there a name on the tank and a date mine was a fabco 25 gallon have ya found a hull number yet
cool project good luck

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 01:49 PM
I have not looked at the tank that closely yet, I will once its out of the boat. The hull ID # is 14F27. Or is there another number that you are referring to?

Bill McCleneghen
01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Just found a tag on the tank, it was made be "CFI" "Certified Industrial Fabricators" looks like it was a company out of Miami. This is a fun project, even more enjoyable because of the feedback and help from this website.

BUIZILLA
01-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Bill, MadPoodle and I would like to come check out your project. How's next weekend?? we're only an hour away...

Jim

Bill McCleneghen
01-23-2006, 06:34 AM
Jim,
Let me know towards the end of the week when youd like to come by, we'll set something up, I'd love to get some ideas from you.

Morgan's Cloud
01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
WOW , I picture's worth a thousand words huh ?
That looks like a lot of fun Bill , don't cut any corners now ... you'll regret it later if you do .
Where did you find that number ?
Did'nt they do wonderful glass work back then :shocking:
Steve

Bill McCleneghen
01-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Steve,
You are right, I am so far into this project that it would make no sense to cut any corners, luckily its a pretty straight forward project. The plan is as follows:
1. remove, and have a new gas tank built.
2. prep and paint the bilge
3. instal that tank
4. run the new wiring
5. replace the Cap of the boat
6. replacing all of the crome on the boat, rails cleats etc
7. Have the boat repainted with awlgrip
8. rebuild the motor, and put it back in the boat.

My desire is to make this boat look like it just came from Donzi as original.

Bill McCleneghen
01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
no reason to drool, its not a pretty picture right now, gas tank came out last night, easier than I thought, muxh like hte rest of the project. Sunday would be fine, looks like I'll fish Saturday...., lets confirm Friday

Bill McCleneghen
02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Oh I understand your feeling, but it is a cool project. My hesitation now is the cutting out the bad wood in the transom. I had not planned that, but I guess thats how it goes, and it should have been expected. I'll be dropping the gas tank off on Friday. Progress is being made

Bill McCleneghen
02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
rottne wood in the transom is out, gas tank is done being built, next step is to rebuild the transom. the Project is coming along nicely.

Bill McCleneghen
02-22-2006, 04:18 PM
are you talking about the braket for the lifting eyes? If so, I have someone that can make those for me. I do need a shifter and new stickers. any help I would appreciate, thanks

onesubdrvr
02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
are you talking about the braket for the lifting eyes? If so, I have someone that can make those for me. I do need a shifter and new stickers. any help I would appreciate, thanks
Original Morse without tilt / trim?

I have one, sans original knob, as I am upgrading the X to power tilt / trim, I can't use the old shifter

Just a thought, Poodle might be able to do better than that

Wayne

Lenny
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Bill, I think you will find Scott Pearson has a shifter and knob available for your project. Richard Weaver still has deeee-cals too.

Bill McCleneghen
02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I just ordered the decals from Richard Weaver (real nice guy), and am researching the shifter options. thanks for the help

Bill McCleneghen
03-13-2006, 09:43 AM
I sent you a message requesting the condeition of the Shifter that is on the boat you are working on, I heard that you would be replacing it, and wanted to find out if its in good condition, and also a fair amount to pay for it.

My email is "Mysailscall@aol.com",

I should be putting the new wood in the transome soon, but I havent been working on it as much as I'd like.

Bill McCleneghen
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I was referring to the one on Waynes boat that you have, he told me that you were working on his boat and that his shifter was being replaced. He said he would sell it to me. I dont know the condition or value, but I would also be interested in yours if you arent going to use it.

onesubdrvr
03-13-2006, 10:48 AM
That's the one he's talking about Bill :biggrin:

I've got the Morse with the trim button in it for me to replace it with as I'm installing a 280T drive.

Anyway, multi party E-mail / post / phone conversations kind of remind me of that game in elementary school where one person wispers in the next persons ear a quote, and see what it comes out after the last person,....a start of I like brown cats might have ended I like round rats,.... :biggrin:

Good luck on your project Bill, and lets see some pictures :yes:

Thanks y'all
Wayne

Bill McCleneghen
08-23-2006, 12:46 PM
After months of just walking by the boat in the garage, I am getting back to it. I cut the wood for the transom this week, and today will be doing some grinding to get ready to glass the new transom in. Gas tank is made sitting next to the boat. So glass work, install the tank, and paint the inside of the hull, will be the next few steps. Feels good to be back at work on it.

Bill McCleneghen
11-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Finally its starting to come together......Bigger job than planned.
1. Rotten transom had to be replaced.....big job!
2. The wood under the deck....RERPLACED...... big job!
3. BRAND NEW motor package....motor transom assembly, outdrive etc.
4. New paint.

Boat is ready to be reassembled......... gas tank will go in this week..... deck will be painted by the end of the week. AND FINALLY I'm getting close.

I have taken some pics and will get them posted soon.

chappy
11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I'd kick Mike Tyson in the nutz to have a chance to own a 14. Can't wait for the pics.

Bill McCleneghen
12-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Here are some pics:
the wood in the deck was rotten, so we removed it and replaced and reglassed.

Bill McCleneghen
12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
and more:

The Hedgehog
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Nice project Billy.

I have been bumping into a number of people from the Beta house these days.

Bill McCleneghen
12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Is that you Bill?

The Hedgehog
12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Is that you Bill?

Yes sir.

Bill McCleneghen
12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey Bill,
I hope you are well....... this project has been going on for over three years and it is finally getting close to being finished. I can not wait...... its looking awesome.

The Hedgehog
12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Bill,
I hope you are well....... this project has been going on for over three years and it is finally getting close to being finished. I can not wait...... its looking awesome.

I can't complain. My hat's off to you. My X project was plenty but yours is some pretty heavy detail. That's a cool project. Keep us posted.

Tell your Bro Scotty and the other good folks from South Fl I said hello.

I hope that you are doing well too.

I talked to Bug the other day. He sounded good. It was good to talk to him.

Bill McCleneghen
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
more pics, right before we put the deck back on....... we have yet to screw it down, still not sure that we wont have to pull it off again for fitting.

The Hedgehog
12-25-2008, 03:31 PM
more pics, right before we put the deck back on....... we have yet to screw it down, still not sure that we wont have to pull it off again for fitting.

You will swear that the deck shrinks after it has been off for a while. It dang near takes a shoehorn to get it back on.

Bill McCleneghen
12-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Bill, you are right....... it certainly seems like the deck has shrunk...... I doubt that will be my only issue that I come across.

The Hedgehog
12-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Bill, you are right....... it certainly seems like the deck has shrunk...... I doubt that will be my only issue that I come across.

We found it was best to work the bow on and then work back. Nothing that could not be cured by a grinder, some weight and Tex's finger. He seems to have healed nicely though.