PDA

View Full Version : How to match engine components,....

onesubdrvr
01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll try not to make this a boring thread, but ever since I built the engine for the Ragazza, I feel I have this huge gap in knowledge.

So, lets start with the Crank - doesn't really increase performance (unless stroker), but reliability with better cranks for HP machines.

Rods - S.A.A.

Pistons - OK, here we start, the piston can effect the compression ration - domes / dished / etc. so with CR, the higher the CR, the more HP, BUT, also higher heat, and the requirement for higher octane fuels (?)

Heads - intake / exhaust ports sizes can also effect the CR. as well as how far you open the valves (or the valves can open)

Intake - OK, here we talk flow, gotta get enough air to the cylinders through the heads (?)

Exhaust - Gotta get rid of the gasses, so flow

Cam - single most important part(?) Also seems to be primary effect on RPM / torque curve. Now, most of us have to run peak HP 5500 or lower, so doesn't that really affect the cam pick (?) Obviously lift, and duration effect flow as well.

I guess long and short, how do you decide what pieces are the best fit for the other pieces(?) Obviously if you pick a high lift / duration cam, and are running a fairly high CR, then you need more flow, so you even if everything else here is good, if your carb is too small, you screw yourself.

How do you know what kind of HP you are going to make before you build the engine? If someone said - OK, I want to build a 450hp SBC for my 18, how would YOU do it?

Wayne

boxy
01-15-2006, 08:20 PM
If someone said - OK, I want to build a 450hp SBC for my 18, how would YOU do it?
Wayne

Call Rootsy ...... :D

Sorry Wayne. my motor knowledge is limited to where the fuel and oil go.

onesubdrvr
01-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, the new engine isn't for a few years,.....I'll be doing lots of reading before then

The purpose of this post is really to get a better idea of how everything works together

one thing I've been told is that roller components aren't really necessary at <6000 rpm. and other stuff like that

I know there is lots of different ideas out there, but it'd be nice to get a crash course in the BASICS of engine building. My Ragazza engine turned out good, but I feel more from luck than anything else, and I'm sure I could have generated more horsepower for less money.

Wayne

MOP
01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't agree with the opinion of some up here on roller setups, I have read several articles that say the reduced friction helps the entire RPM range of an engine. I have no clue what the actual gain is but no question there is gain! My feeling is anyone wanting to get that last bit out of an engine will go for a roller. I look at it as any time you do reduce the internal friction you are allowing more power to get to the flywheel.

Phil

RedDog
01-16-2006, 07:03 AM
start with Dennis Moore's books:
SBC - http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Small-Block_Chevy_Marine_Performance-ISBN_1557883173.html?isrc=b-search
BBC - http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Big-Block_Chevy_Marine_Performance-ISBN_1557882975.html?isrc=b-search