PDA

View Full Version : air gap intake

smokediver
01-15-2006, 06:50 PM
has anyone used the edelbrock rpm air gap intake manifold ? I am leaning towards it as there is a gap under the water crossover . also , i put and edelbrock carb on my last engine but was thinking of going with a holley or barry grant this time . are those as easy to tune as the edelbrock ? opinions welcome !!! like everyone else , i want more performance but am willing to sacrifice a little for reliability ...

mrfixxall
01-15-2006, 07:03 PM
has anyone used the edelbrock rpm air gap intake manifold ? I am leaning towards it as there is a gap under the water crossover . also , i put and edelbrock carb on my last engine but was thinking of going with a holley or barry grant this time . are those as easy to tune as the edelbrock ? opinions welcome !!! like everyone else , i want more performance but am willing to sacrifice a little for reliability ...

I currently use a airgap intake (awsome intake)but i found the same intake from professional products and its a little better then the airgap.. It has a little longer intake runners and its $165.00 sbc and $185.00 bbc.Professional products version is called the crosswind..I would rather have a holly and their real easy to tune.pm me if you need a bg carb, a friend of mine works their and i get racers net on carbs...

p.s i am a dealer for professional products also so if anybody needs one i can put a bulk order together and save you more$$$$$ on them....good luck on your projects....

onesubdrvr
01-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm glad someone bought this up,...

I'm running a Performer on my Ragazza, and am as please as can be with the performance. I have Vortec heads, so the selection isn't near as great. I am considering changing the intake when I put the engine into the X as I do run in salty water, and although my intake is < 1 year old and in good shape, I've been thinking of changing to one with the "endurashine" finish on it to help protect it and keep it purtier longer.

Anyone have any experience with the endurashine?

As far as the intakes, what I've seen is the manifolds are listed for different RPM ranges, the airgap is listed 1500-6500 rpm, same with the performer RPM, while the performer is idle to 5500. Now, if you don't want your engine / drive to turn over 5500, why would you pick a manifold tuned for the higher rangs?

Wayne

MOP
01-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Jamie will have some good input on the Air Gap, he seems very pleased with it.

Phil

BUIZILLA
01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm running a Performer on my Ragazza, and am as please as can be with the performance. I have Vortec heads, so the selection isn't near as great. Wayne
Wayne....keep your intake, put down the catalogs...

onesubdrvr
01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Wayne....keep your intake, put down the catalogs...
Jim,

Really just looking to change for a better finish so that it last longer in the salty condition, not considering a new engine for a few years!!:p

But thought, hey, if the new finish is recommended, and there is a better manifold, why not??

If the powers that be say the manifold will last 3+ years without a problem, then so be it, it stays. :biggrin.: My money will be better spent in other places, and is at a short supply until the Ragazza is sold.

Wayne

mrfixxall
01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm running a Performer on my Ragazza, and am as please as can be with the performance. I have Vortec heads, so the selection isn't near as great. I am considering changing the intake when I put the engine into the X as I do run in salty water, and although my intake is < 1 year old and in good shape, I've been thinking of changing to one with the "endurashine" finish on it to help protect it and keep it purtier longer.
Anyone have any experience with the endurashine?
As far as the intakes, what I've seen is the manifolds are listed for different RPM ranges, the airgap is listed 1500-6500 rpm, same with the performer RPM, while the performer is idle to 5500. Now, if you don't want your engine / drive to turn over 5500, why would you pick a manifold tuned for the higher rangs?
Wayne

WAYNE,,tHE RPM AIRGAP IS A BETTER INTAKE THEN THE PERFORMER AND THE PERFORMER RPM. jUST BECAUSE IT HAS A HIGHER WORKING RPM RANGE DON'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO USE IT TO 6500 RPM..THE AIRGAP JUST KEEPS THE OIL FROM BAKEING THE BOTTOM OF THE INTAKE FROM THE LIFTER VALLY WHICH KEEPS THE AIR AND FUEL COOL WHICH MEANS MORE HP..IF YOU CHOOSE TO KEEP THE CURRENT INTAKE I RECCOMEND INSALLING A LIFTER VALLY OIL SPLASH SHIELD AND ITS GOOD FOR A FEW HP....

smokediver
01-16-2006, 05:51 AM
As i am reading it , the performer rpm and the air gap rpm are a dual plane intake and therefore have good low end and midrange power but it also makes power like a single plane intake at the upper rpms. I am going to talk to a friend of mine in the powder coating business and see what he recommends as far as a coating. I may have to put a little bulge in my hatch as my current carb stud hits my hatch just a little ...

Rootsy
01-16-2006, 07:01 AM
i run one... it's ok... not some magical piece that is suddenly going to gain you oodles of power or anything... you need to have plenty of camshaft, compression and cylinder head to handle it... you'll kill some of your bottom end power, especially if you don't have a nice torque curve... this was very noticable with my setup... made of some real chitty aluminum though... be careful when tightening fasteners... i recommend that you use steel thread inserts in the carb mounting holes (not helicoils)...

smokediver
01-16-2006, 08:21 AM
rootsy , did you have any issues with your hatch being able to close ? I am replacing the stock merc 2bbl and the flame arrestor stud rubs the hatch, it's maybe an inch above the cover .

Rootsy
01-16-2006, 09:44 AM
i run a zenith flame arrester and the rear edge touches my hatch.. least that is the witness line i see from time to time... I use a hex head bolt to hold the flame arrester down, no stud. I run a BG demon for carb...

if all you are doing is replacing the 2V and manifold and nothing else i'd be going with a performer instead of the RPM or Airgap..

smokediver
01-16-2006, 10:10 AM
thanks for the info ! I think i will follow your advise . if i can get 4 or 5 years out of it it is worth it .

mphatc
01-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I have the same manifold on my 302 Ford. It was powder coated when new. Performance is awesome. On the dyno we ran my engine to 5800 RPM before the power started to go away, note that we designed this engine for 4800 rpm. Torque curve was essentailly flat from 3000 rpm to 5800 at ~ 313 ft lbs.

It does sit a bit higher, but in a Corsican that's not a problem.

Right now I am doing it over again with a ceramic coating inside and out. This will protect the coolant passage. Powder coating was not recommended for this.

Mario L.