PDA

View Full Version : Back at it again. (F20)

Cuda
01-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I finished screwing the new rubrail on the F20 today, now I'm working on installing the insert. It's a b!tch! I had to pull the boat across the street to get it in the sun. It makes everything more pliable and easier to work with. The insert is still being tough. I've put dish soap on the rail and the insert. Still tough.

I'll give you a hint on installing new rubrail. Don't use the screws that are provided by Taco. They have flat heads on them and tear the hell out of the rail when you try to screw them in. I got some ss tapered head screws instead. You still have to be carefull with them not to tear it up.

Taking a break now, letting my fingers rest!

Eugene Nahemow
01-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Cuda,
Try a heat gun on the inserts. It should make them pliable.

Cuda
01-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I finally got one side of the insert installed. I found the trick is to use the widest jaw pliers you have, squeeze the insert, and jam it in the rubrail. I also found that how you put the screws in the rail is very critical. If you put them in too tight, the rubrail won't expand enough to put the insert in, but if you don't put the screws in far enough, there isn't enough room for the insert. Also, where you put them in tight, it kind of warps the rubrail. Next time I do one, I'll just run the screws part way in with the cordless, then tighten them by hand.

Cuda
01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I finally got finished installing the insert. It took much longer than attaching the rubrail itself.

Now I've moved on to the cockpit again, specifically the engine hatch/sundeck. I've decided to do it in two pieces, to make a "trunk" like I saw on the Formula website. It will be great for storing handling lines etc.

Cuda
01-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I designed a box to go over this spot, that way I can attach it to the boat here, and still bring it up to the elevation I need. Here was my original sketch, but before I put it together, I changed it to make the top piece an inch wider, so it would sit down on the upright pieces. I think it is stronger this way.
The arrow is where I'm going to place this "riser".

Cuda
01-28-2006, 03:42 PM
The box finished, and sitting in place.

Cuda
01-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I cut the hatch into two pieces to make the trunk. I cut a four inch piece of starboard to support the trunk lid at the transom. It's coming together now, all I need to do is attach the box to the boat, then put the hinges on both lids.
I made more progress today than I usually do in six months. I may still go back out and attach the box to the boat.

Cuda
01-28-2006, 03:47 PM
It won't be long, and it will be ready to go to upholstery. I was thinking of trying that myself too. :)

Jraysray
01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Pretty slick! I like it. :shades:

Cuda
02-25-2006, 02:04 PM
I finished the hatch and "trunk" a couple weeks ago. It turned out better than I expected for a change. :)

Cuda
02-25-2006, 02:07 PM
I got my pedestals for the front seats yesterday. Pretty good deal I think, brand new, $14 each and $14 shipping. They are a hair big to go in the hole of the slider. I'll probably dremel the hole out a hair. I got one put in part way. I'll set it in the boat to check for height next.