PDA

View Full Version : By LAND and SEA - how fast have you traveled?

Chili 18
01-14-2006, 07:58 PM
No ridiculous martini or beer posts here. NO sir (mam). This is a speed poll...
What is the fastest you have traveled in a motorized vehicle on land and on water? Also a brief description of the blessed occurrence so we all can be there vicariously... /\/\/\/\/\/\/

Me, Chili18 have gone over 160 in my friend I's euro spec. Audi Quattro V8. Nothing super amazing. My friend virtually lives in his car for business. Visiting clients etc. He's a competent fast driver so it was cool Just a late night run eastbound on 94 in Indiana. Late at night. Few cars. The ones we passed. Well it must have seemed a bit surreal to be passed at 160+.

I had a Porsche 944 that I enjoyed driving in the deserts of AZ late at night. Twisty roads smooth like a race course and a car that was glued to the road avg 120 tops.

I took my driving test in a 72 (i think) E-Type V12 convertible Jaguar. The test guy made me drive around the course again because he was digging the car so much. A pal and I took it up to Wisconsin skiing one winter. We had really big snow that year. Piled about 6 ft high on the sides of a narrow country two lane. Remember hitting 130 or thereabouts and then locating a snow packed patch on the otherwise dry road. We pin wheeled in 360s but I was able to keep the car directed down the lane. An uneventful conclusion with the car stopping undamaged. We were young. Shook it off and went skiing all day...

150+ in a 95 corvette

Oh, not a speed story, but unusual none the less. Heading west out of Denver high up in the Rocky Mountains around Eisenhower tunnel. http://www.dot.state.co.us/eisenhower/description.asp We were going to Vail after catching a late flight and picking up a rent a car. It was a very snowy night. We were out driving visibility a tad, but I was familiar with the route so felt comfortable. We reached the crest of a hill after a long climb and as we headed down over the top I couldn’t quite make out what it was ahead, very very white up ahead. Then the snow let up for just a second so as we could get a view ahead… An avalanche had just occurred covering all three lanes with a 30 ft mountain of snow. I remember telling my friend exactly what we were going to do and to brace and enjoy the experience. We had no option of stopping as it was a steep down grade very slick. So, just hit the thing head on. The car was light and the snow was soft. We just slowly stopped and sort of lifted up into the pile. Car was about five feet off the ground. Level pointing forward with snow up to the window bottoms. Undamaged. Biggest risk at that point was another car hitting us. So we got out the windows and stood clear. Two other cars followed us in, in other lanes. Up top of the hill. A semi saw what was happening and was able to somehow warn other vehicles and no one else hit. They finally came with a massive front loader type thing and pulled us all out and cleared the hwy while we waited. Made it to Vail and had a great week skiing. Hmm, why do these things always seem to happen on ski trips? Well, we were lucky and had a happy ending…

Fastest on water, Not really too fast. Low 70s in my Brothers Fountain. I hope to be in the 70s next summer.

Sooooooooo. How fast have you gone??? Etc etc etc

BUIZILLA
01-14-2006, 08:21 PM
158 in my 2000 Trans Am, and it was smooooooooooooooooooooooottthhhhhh

163 in my C5, and it was still pulling pretty good

181 in our dragster, yawn...

140 something on a K1200 BMW, now that was a ride... then I was passed by a guy on a turbo 'Busa running 220+, he was later arrested for running 172, with his girlfriend on the back... (he brought the ticket copy to a drivers ed comedy class)

RedDog
01-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Car - about 140 in my mom's '69 442 with my big brother driving

Motorcycle - about 150+ on my modified '83 Suzuki 1100 Katana

Boat - about 80-85 with It'tallfly (sp, Byron) in the 28 Bat Boat at AOTH

Bike - about 40 on a downhill near my house (scarest of them all)

FOSTER
01-15-2006, 04:51 PM
155 on 1984 Harley Davidson FXRP, along side good friend on his same year V65 Honda. next morning his Honda was sitting in a pool of gas from a cracked fuel tank. I went to breakfast, Tony patched his tank then bought A Harley two weeks later. 125 in a 1992 Peterbilt with 48,000 lbs of lumber, Wanted to get back next day for Xmas. Lot of talk on the old CB for awhile after that run. Will have to let you know about the 18C, No GPS yet. Bret.

SideshowRob
01-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Car- 150 with my buddy in his Camaro, racing a mustang on the way to Wasaga beach..... we won, and had some left over.
Sled- Fairly consistant 125. Sometimes more sometimes less. My SRX 700.
Bike- 115 on another buddy's V-Max. It wasn't mine so I behaved :moped:
110 on a Harley in Phoenix, not fast, but first time I've ever ridden without a helmet. I really don't think helmetlessness is for me.
Boat- The Donzi speedo was reading 50-55 when the battery died. First time in the boat, only about a 4 min run. Bad alternator wiring. I'm reeeeally looking forward to the spring though.
Skateboard- 30?? Back in my youth, going down a very steep hill. Heh, who knew that as you reached that magic speed the board would violently twist back and fourth. :eek: I think I still have some scars. (but the chicks dig it!:biggrin.: )
Kneeboard- 45+ It was my birthday and my friends thought that the whip wasn't good enough, so I got a continous high speed circle. You can only land nicely off those waves before gravity and physics face plant you :banghead:
Shopping Cart- 45 Me and my buddy took the wheels off a shopping cart and replaced them with cross country skiis, then he towed me behind his 72Johnson Challenger snowmachine.
I bet you're thinking we were odd kids.... heh, it was last winter. :spit:

mrfixxall
01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
My donzi,72ish.

My cig cafe racer,85ish.(sold it)

My beemer 148.

My 87 twin turbo calaway vette 180ish.(sold it)

My buddys skater 30 118.

My RX1T 138.(snomobile)

My vmax 145.(sold it)

My harley 100.

DonziDave
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
By Land: 205 mph driving a friends tricked out Porsche 911 Turbo around Charlotte Motor Speedway.

By Sea: 135 mph in a RaysonCraft drag boat that I had years ago. Boat had a blueprinted Holman & Moody 427 Ford hooked to a v-drive. Very fast acceleration and very squirrelly. I've slowed down as I realized that I am mortal.... :eek:

Rootsy
01-16-2006, 07:39 AM
142ish (calculated) in an 87 mustang GT conv... i am lucky to be alive to tell this... they tend to push HARD...

150+ in a 410 inch sprint car... that's downright frightening...

134 in the 69 Super Stock camaro, in a straight line... kinda boring cept leaving the line...

110 in the 64 cyclone... see the first sentence... she was probably unsafe at anything over 45 mph on 35 year old worn out suspension... i was rather young, gutsy and stupid...

106 in a 35 fountain lightning...

mid 80's in Griz's Critter...

low 80's in my 16...

Kirk
01-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Well I guess that I am kinda nuts....I have had my racing bicycle (Richard Sachs) over 60 mph and my 16' just over 50 mph.

Morgan's Cloud
01-16-2006, 09:32 AM
(Bike - about 40 on a downhill near my house (scarest of them all)
I was wondering how long it would be before really believable figures were posted :biggrin:

gcarter
01-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Does 200 in a light plane at 8'-10' altitude down an abanded beach count?
My dad and I did that many years ago. It kind of gave you the feeling that some of the early LSR car drivers must have felt @ Daytona in the early days.
It sure was a lot of fun.
I've never been over 135 in a car, not over 100 on a bike, and I won't ride with Catch 22 anymore since he procharged it.

joseph m. hahnl
01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Every thing I own the speedo only goes to 85mph.You know the speedo's with the 55 in red:yes: All except my 1975 Suzuki T500 110mph in the 1/4 Mi With drum brakes it took another 1/4 mile to stop.

The Minx's is @ 60mph (not GPS)

joe

McGary911
01-17-2006, 11:35 AM
About 95 in a boat. I used to do morning radio, and we were promoting an event for handicapped kids, where local go fast boat owners gave them fast rides. They gave me a ride for helping out.......some kind of triple outbouard cat...35 feet or so.

155 in my '78 911 SC. We were running the IMSA course at Pocono international raceway, so i hit that on the banks, going "backwards". Meaning clockwise. Next day it rained, but i still got it up to 150, and felt very comfortable.

mphatc
01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Kirk,
Awesome I can relate! I did 55 mph on my Raleigh Super Course a few years back coming down the eastern side of Crawford Notch in NH, no helmet .. . and I passed a guy on a Harley . . and was to afraid to touch the brakes . .

My highlights, I've built and driven faster stuff, these are the ones that gave / give me a happy feeling inside . . .

135 +++ mph in a 70 BMW 2002 that I built. During a down time in my life, this car kept me sane.

110 MPH in my 70 AMX going west on a full moon night on Rt 9 up Hogback Mountain in Vt without headlights . . pulled up behind my best freind in his Mustang FB and turned my high beam lights on, the best part was watching them jump in their seats and hit the ceiling! We still laugh at this one today!
On the return trip from the WG GP that w/e we were driving in the rain at 130 MPH on the NY thruway when John pulled up beside me and asked for the bottle of Jack Daniels in my rear seat area . . . oh those were the days . .

156 MPH on my FJ1200, used to love to start at a stop and go straight up thru the gears to full throttle in 5th at redline, the rush was incredible, I really miss that bike.

70+ in my Donzi Corsican . . .Let's see what I can do this summer!

155 in my 88 BMW M5 . . .weekly escapes from reality during the summer . . .

Mario L.

sweet 16 1966
01-18-2006, 08:24 PM
George, He does have a perfect record so far--no flips!
Seriously, I would like to catch, Catch 22's ride on a smooth day!
I just don't understand why all our boats did'nt come that way!

sweet 16 1966
01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Oh!
145 on 1974 Kawasaki 900.
145 1969 Grand Prix
135 1969 Corvett 350/350
122 in a 96 Maxima ---Well!!

200 in a Long Eazy as a passenger- what was I thinking!

Formula Jr
01-19-2006, 01:50 AM
I covered a distince of 270 miles in three hours. That meant pegging the bike I was on, at 105 mph, One fill, a SR 500. I still have it, 40K miles later and it still runs like a top.

Carl C
01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
If you could've hitched a ride on the Pluto probe you could've gone 36,000 MPH. That's the new record for any man made object.:smile:

turbo2256
01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
200+ my 69 Shelby Mustang 650HP 351C. Possibly hold many records down straight aways and corners in several Fla counties as well as Pa and In

128 Clocked by sheriffs boat chasing me comming out of the North Fork of the St Lucie heading towards the Roosevelt bridge Stuart Fla. 20' foot 1 of a kind racing tunnel hull with a juiced Merc stacker OB.

tangent70
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
By Land:About 180mph on a 2001 Hyabusa. Two friends and I decided to try and see what speed we could get out of our Busa's that day
Only about 55mph by sea (Plan to change that this year)