PDA

View Full Version : what do you think a clean 68 16 is worth with a...

ratman
01-14-2006, 02:44 PM
im looking at a sweet sixteen freshly painted, bravo drive, 406 sbc with apprx 460hp. what do you think top end would be? how do sweetsixteens handle rough water compared to a 18 ft x? what do you think the sixteen is worth with a bravo? thx ratman

Lenny
01-14-2006, 03:22 PM
If you are thinking about a 16', buy Jamie's. (Rootsy) It is a tried and true combination with all the toys. Hydraulics, 400+ ponies, new SS drive, clean original gel hull etc. Money well spent. Runs 78, if you can stay in it :D

If you want a FAST 18X, then buy Geoos', it doesn't get faster than that.
(124 GPS)

In your quest for an "18 X" keep in mind all the 18's have the same bottom other than the early ones with the sharp keel.

Myself, I would shy away from a painted OLD boat. It is too easy to hide misgivings and gives you no insight as to how is has been treated for 38 years. Those are MY thoughts only.

If I was buying another 18 (or any 18) I would be going to Jupiter FLA and buying Tidbarts old boat, now in the hands of " blueSream" .

Just Say N20
01-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll jump in, in a purely speculative way. Not to speak for him, but as a matter of record, Rootsy has (for sale too) a 16 with a SBC that has approx 410 hp, running an Imco Shorty lower unit that runs right around 80.

Based on that information, I would guess that the boat you are asking about, if it actually has 460 hp, would run a couple mph slower; the extra 50 hp not being enough more than 410 hp to overcome the substantial increase in drag from the Bravo lower unit, compared to the shorty.

A handful to drive, non-the-less. :hyper:

Lenny
01-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Just Say N2O, Jamie has an SS (Merc HP, Alpha) not an IMCO shorty. But, he is 3" shorter than that BRAVO being discussed here.

Yes, I bet Jamies' is FUN to drive. Haven't had the chance. :(

Tony
01-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I think the boat you describe is worth about $13k, making my '67 Ski Sporter worth about $12k. :yes:

slownsx
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
ratman what year and price range you looking for? My 18 classic is 20minutes from Tampa.

TuxedoPk
01-14-2006, 03:58 PM
18's are definately better than sixteens but in my opinion, neither are really comfortable to ride in with rough water conditions. I've got much less time riding in 16s and 18s than others on the board but have had enough time to know I don't like the feeling of getting beaten to sh@t in a small boat on a rough day.

Where are you planning on boating? There are lots of members in your area who could give you a ride in their Donzis so you can make your own determination for what is thrilling v. uncomfortable to you. When I think of rough water I think of 22s as the starting point.

(Even just on rougher lake conditions the 16s and 18s have trouble keeping up with the 22s at some of the events)

If you do go the way of a 16 or 18, Lenny did point out the cream of the crop on the market for you.

how do sweetsixteens handle rough water compared to a 18 ft x?

ratman
01-14-2006, 04:36 PM
lenny how do i get in touch with blue stream? what do you know about his boat?

ratman
01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
tux, i have a cig 35ft mistress that im putting 1000hp blower motors and 3a's in end of the month for real big water. i was just wondering if there is that much of a diff between the sixteen and eighteen footers. i called a guy today on the 20ft cig 1975 in boca,if it for sale still i will probably buy it as they are pretty rare and its got a trs witch will handle 550 to 600 hp in a light boat like that, its got a new short block iwth 50 hours if the hull is sound and he's willing to come down a bit im gonna buy it. most people with 20 ft cigs want stupid coin for em. thx ratman

Lenny
01-14-2006, 04:52 PM
lenny how do i get in touch with blue stream? what do you know about his boat?

...cuz I was gonna buy it to supplement my current Collection, but then I went on "Strike" for 4 1/2 months and that would not have been my wisest investment.

From what I have "heard" that boat is a keeper. :yes: Regardless of any of this, I would have bought it blindly and had it shipped here. I take more chances than some but my local dictates some of that. Pics, you want pics?

:D

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33611

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6856

...and HERE is how to contact him...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/member.php?u=4735

Just Say N20
01-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Lenny, thanks for the clarification. I knew it had a short "something" on it, and should have taken the time to go back and read the listing. I don't like to put out inaccurate information out. I still think my guess as to top speed is pretty good.

Rootsy
01-16-2006, 07:28 AM
im looking at a sweet sixteen freshly painted, bravo drive, 406 sbc with apprx 460hp. what do you think top end would be? how do sweetsixteens handle rough water compared to a 18 ft x? what do you think the sixteen is worth with a bravo? thx ratman

i don't think you'll be able to hang onto it with that power and drive combination...

mattyboy
01-16-2006, 08:13 AM
the value depends on what else has been done besides repower and paint
when looking at an older classic
things to think about are
gas tanks
coring
stringers
the 16 and 18 are ok in smaller big water the 16 is much harder on passengers
the 3 +1 seating is not that comfortable, they both give you and on the boat not in the boat feeling, oh and I hope you like getting wet you are alot closer to the water in a 16 or 18 than a 35 cig

you can get some funny sounds coming from 40 year old fiberglass in big water