PDA

View Full Version : Next dumb ass question... WHY?

Lenny
01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
is it that when I open up Outlook Express (now, recently) that the JPG's and other IMG files show up as pictures in the message body of the mail, but the paperclip attachment I click on, asks, what file do I want to use to open this attachment or web service, yadda yadda, yadda? It used to just "open". And I can not open these paperclips with the programs but the pic is open and viewably displayed in the body of the message?

What happened? :(

Now, I just right click and save the attachment and view it outside of Outlook Express. I would like to restore it to the way it was if possible.

joel3078
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Something probably changed the file associations with image files.....jpg,tif,bmp, yada yada. You will need to check the file association settings. Windows help (press the F1 key) is pretty good at describing how to do this. Search around for the phrase file association.

Outlook express is kinda notorious for screwing up pictures and attatchments. Outlook (non express version) handles this stuff way better. Outlook comes with Microsoft office. Install outlook 98 or 2000 and you will be back in business. Hell, just reinstall outlook express and you may fix the problem. Any local computer jockies around you can fix this in a snap.

txtaz
01-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Yup, What Joel said. Personally, I'd use Eudora for a mail reader.
Da Taz

joel3078
01-12-2006, 09:50 AM
:yippie: I got validated by the Taz. Wes, when I saw Eudora, it reminded me of WordStar and WordPerfect. Some golden classics are still out there.

txtaz
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Yikes...We're dating ourselves. I use Eudora 5.1 because it does what I need and I'm not giving them another $50 ever time they come out with a new version. They're at Version 7 now. See I saved $100 already for gas in the boat. Donzi economics works for me.
Da Taz

MOP
01-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Lenny if the photos show in the body and are of importance save them to your desk top, then open them with any photo program and save them as JPEG's. This has worked well the few times I have had to do this, some come in odd formats or maybe security setting change something.

Phil