PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar.........you wish!

gcarter
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Some people can't help lying, exagerating, or they're just downright stupid.....:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Donzi-Minx-w-383ci-Stroker-Mtr-not-scarab-baha_W0QQitemZ4603392363QQcategoryZ31271QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hardcrab
01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
or adopting catch phrases when they have no idea what it means; just sounds good

Lenny
01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
George, THAT IS FUNNY :jestera:

Kevlar, hmmm, and its' use in boats. Carbon fiber maybe, maybe, but cost is an issue. 1986 ??? don't think so.

The high end laminates have SOO many attributes and applications,... but that is just it, applications. Certain products for certain forces and locations. Period.

BUT, the best part is this...

It is so fast, light and agile, it can escape control from someone who is inexperienced with fast boats at the blink of an eye.

I thought THAT was the FUN part :yes: That is what I wait for. :D

Rootsy
01-10-2006, 06:37 AM
well i guess i am in a "mood" today... reckon my little message to him should thoroughly piss him off :D

mattyboy
01-10-2006, 07:17 AM
late 1970's and early 1980's challenger 21 ( what became the superboat 21 legend)
were supposed to have had a kevlar layup ;)

JimG
01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Lots of kevlar used in the 80's in Scarabs.

MOP
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Its looks like it is not a bad boat just a bull**** seller, hopefully the bidders will see through the smoke & mirrors! So far the bidding seems to be going fair for what it is, I see it has the super special blow hard model carburetor which increases cu in!

Yuck!

olredalert
01-10-2006, 09:04 AM
------Theres an awful lot of corrosion on that drive for being rack and trailer kept and on a fresh-water lake its entire life. You just have to start doubting that 383 statement with everything else in the add being puffed up........Bill S

Rootsy
01-10-2006, 09:33 AM
well at least it seems that we've enlightened him about his non kevlar hulled minx :D

need for speed
01-10-2006, 09:49 AM
This is what the seller said to me when i asked him about it!

"""I am still up in the air about it. I have been told from the previous owner, and other people that it was. Some other ebayers have raised the doubt about it so I did research. It is not a Kevlar hull, and I stated that as an ad on to the listing apologizing. I'm sorry if this has hurt you in any way. I was not trying to lie, or pull one over on anyone. I have been mislead, and that caused me to mislead the listing.

Sorry,
"""""

but looks like a nice boat!

Lenny
01-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Here is a "laymans" description of Kevlar use in boatbuilding.

Again, all products have a place to be, that they are suited for specifically, given their inherit characteristics. This quote (cut and paste:D ) is from Allison Boats. (they make an extreme quality product.

Kevlar is now a household catch phrase when people speak of things nearly indestructible. Kevlar is also very misunderstood. High strength to weight ratio and the ability to bend an extreme amount without breaking are primary characteristics. Military headgear and "bulletproof" vests are good examples of these qualities put into practice. Kevlar can absorb a great deal of shock and still avoid total penetration. It is this characteristic that makes Kevlar both ideal and inappropriate for boat building. The inherent flexibility of Kevlar is a problem in boat building because hull rigidity is paramount. The amount of Kevlar needed to build a boat with proper rigidity would weigh as much as the same boat built from far less expensive high quality fiberglass. The cost factor would be absolutely prohibitive to the prospective boat buyer. Kevlar does have its' place in boat building. When used as a reinforcement in high stress areas Kevlar adds a tremendous amount of durability. The transom of the boat carries all the motor weight and torque. This is one area Allison uses Kevlar to add tremendous strength with little weight gain. Since the transom is the highest stressed area of the structure, it has always been a problem area for builders.

gcarter
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
------Theres an awful lot of corrosion on that drive for being rack and trailer kept and on a fresh-water lake its entire life. You just have to start doubting that 383 statement with everything else in the add being puffed up........Bill S
Yeah Bill;
I disbelieve ANYTHING in the add that would otherwise be different from a stock Minx. It has all the usual poor quality cockpit floor support problems.

Trueser
01-10-2006, 01:09 PM
WOW,

Has it been that bad of a winter. Forget the Kevlar its still a nice package.

BUIZILLA
01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I believe since Budmann literally wrote the orders for the factory production back then, he can confirm the NON-USE of Kevlar....

JH :smash:

Kirk
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Owner took care of it....nice rig even thou it's not kevlar.

Owners statement on Ebay:

On Jan-10-06 at 06:56:00 PST, seller added the following information:

I am getting alot of grief over the fact that Donzi did not use Kevlar in the structure of a Minx. I was told that they did, and this boat was. Alot of feedback I am recieving made me do research on this fact, and I realized they were right! It is not Kevlar. Sorry to all I may have mislead, and I'm sorry to myself for thinking it was!

KJ

JimG
01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Nice boat...

RBT
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Kevlar is and was a common material in boatbuilding, from the late 70's ( a material called Kevlar 49 ) has been used.
I cannot see Donzi using kevlar, as much as we all love our donzi's high quality build materials is not something ANY of them have.
BTW, the Challengers also didn't have any Kevlar. They were built with a 100% balsa core and a very well laid cloth, as opposed to the Donzi's which are straight glass ( coreless ), made almost entirely of woven roving.

RT

joseph m. hahnl
01-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Some people can't help lying, exagerating, or they're just downright stupid.....:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Donzi-Minx-w-383ci-Stroker-Mtr-not-scarab-baha_W0QQitemZ4603392363QQcategoryZ31271QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

George: Dufas Kevlar "NOW THATS FUNNY"

DMR20066E686

Lenny
01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I cannot see Donzi using kevlar, as much as we all love our donzi's, high quality build materials is not something ANY of them have.
BTW, the Challengers also didn't have any Kevlar. They were built with a 100% balsa core and a very well laid cloth, as opposed to the Donzi's which are straight glass ( coreless ), made almost entirely of woven roving.
RT

RBT, you forgot the part about the Balsa or PVC coring in EVERY ONE of 'em as well as "X" angle, glass over wood criss cross, c/w sawn curves on foredecks and hatches in many cases. There is coring under the foredeck, along the topsides adjacent the cockpit, gunnels/sheer at rear, cockpit bottom, hatch, and the outside of the stringers for about the aft 4' to absorb/deflect structurally some of the pounding they get.

Basically the deck is fully cored on EVERY ONE of them and then a smattering of stuff in the hullsides and bottom at rear.

Otherwise I agree. :D , and no one is going to make a fully KEVLAR boat. A mix of composites, coring and E-glass, CSM and Roven and hybrids and ISO or Vinylester resins, yes, but not solely Kevlar. I don't know of any. I would LOVE to see the skin-out/veil against gelcoat for first lay-up being Kevlar. A hull made 100% of this product would be impossible for to retain shape.

Can you show me one? a link or something?

A mix, yes...

ratman
01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
i think he meant carbon fiber:kyle:

RBT
01-17-2006, 02:52 PM
I have a pure kevlar STV in my garage..... one of 3 made by Triad. The Kevlar has CSM mixed into it, as that is the only way to bond it.
The boat is 510lbs, and one of the fastest in the country, opposed to popular opinion, it is considerablely stiffer than the glass version, and 3 times the price.

RT