PDA

View Full Version : From Volvo to V drive?

sweet 16 1966
01-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Wayne-OSD, Take a look at the V drive set-up that is replacing the Volvo you purchased. Mike is doing some excellent work. These guys have a dislike for I/O's. V drive is less weight and looks like less parts to breakdown. From what I can tell, its a first class job! (The 302 is a 77, not sure if its rebuildable, time will tell)

Can you imagine a 16' hull with a mohogany deck? Just wait!

Craig S
01-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Wayne-OSD, Take a look at the V drive set-up that is replacing the Volvo you purchased. Mike is doing some excellent work. These guys have a dislike for I/O's. V drive is less weight and looks like less parts to breakdown. From what I can tell, its a first class job! (The 302 is a 77, not sure if its rebuildable, time will tell)
Can you imagine a 16' hull with a mohogany deck? Just wait!

Really nice!

Bob
01-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Looking good! Are you going to put an encapsulation plate around the driveshaft? That is cheap protection for V Drives.

Jamesbon
01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Awesome job!

No offense fellas, but anything is better than an outdrive!

Being a used boat salesman has really, really soured my taste for outdrives, well, "saltwater" outdrives....

What hull is that in?

rustnrot
01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Mike is a Machine!! He is retired and lives in Tavares, FL next to Mt. Dora. He thinks he will have the boat done for the Mt. Dora show in late March and I bet he will. The engine is a 390 Ford. The hull is a Sweet 16. Both the deck and the transom will be mahogany! He will be building a completely new deck over the hull with wood with a single bench seat just forward of the engine.....stay tuned.

The v drive unit is so far forward (he has a 10 degree shaft angle) that it is located in what was the fuel tank area originally. He says he will probably use saddle tanks on either side of the stringers.

Russ, thanks for posting the pics! Did you get the old deck yet?

yobeslanding
01-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Really nice!
Russ if Icould figure out how to post pics on here I would keep you guys up to date on the progress Mike

MOP
01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Tom it looks like it is coming along very well, with the reduced shaft angle and the added BB weight it should run a bit better then the original V drive setups. Sure will be nice to see how it comes out.

Phil

rustnrot
01-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Mike is still learning how to post pics so I am posting his progress for you guys. Eventually the entire fiberglass part of the hull will be black. The deck will be mahogany.

sweet 16 1966
01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes, I got the deck. It will be a project at another time. I really enjoyed meeting Mike and seeing how these guys work. Their comradery is really good and the amount of expertise available allows them to be first class.
My trip home was somewhat eventful. Lost the blower motor on the highway which was dodged by the guy behind buy it was retrieved. A trucker blew the horn at me and I was dragging a rear seat cushion which I corrected. Around Lake City, I smelled smoke and pulled over once again. The a\c compressor went out which locked up the pulley so when I lifted the hood, I watched the sizzle and finally saw the belt snap before my eyes! Thank goodness its an 87 Silverado with 4 belts. The one which broke only drove the ac and power steering so I was still good to go!!!!! Who needs power steering anyway, it was a straight shot home anyway!
Mike, I enjoyed meeting you and thanks for the deck. I do need another lesson on your paint methods though. BTW, your tubing went out yesterday.

Good Luck!! Thanks again!

mattyboy
01-11-2006, 06:56 AM
black with mahogany where have I seen that before???
it's deja vu all over again

rust, those colors go great together should be an very unique boat when it's done :)

onesubdrvr
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Mike, the boat is progressing nicely, good job!

Thanks for the pictures everyone!

Wayne

yobeslanding
01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, I got the deck. It will be a project at another time. I really enjoyed meeting Mike and seeing how these guys work. Their comradery is really good and the amount of expertise available allows them to be first class.
My trip home was somewhat eventful. Lost the blower motor on the highway which was dodged by the guy behind buy it was retrieved. A trucker blew the horn at me and I was dragging a rear seat cushion which I corrected. Around Lake City, I smelled smoke and pulled over once again. The a\c compressor went out which locked up the pulley so when I lifted the hood, I watched the sizzle and finally saw the belt snap before my eyes! Thank goodness its an 87 Silverado with 4 belts. The one which broke only drove the ac and power steering so I was still good to go!!!!! Who needs power steering anyway, it was a straight shot home anyway!
Mike, I enjoyed meeting you and thanks for the deck. I do need another lesson on your paint methods though. BTW, your tubing went out yesterday.
Good Luck!! Thanks again!Rus got the tubing today Thanks Mike

boldts
01-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but a couple questions. First, why run a v-drive? There's no way to lift it up in shallow water to save the prop from damage. No trim capabilities. Second, I like the bench seat idea, but why the mahogany on the deck and transom? Donzi never produced a 16 Classic with a wood deck or transom.

Again, don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure it will be a beautiful boat when completed and I look forward to seeing it someday in person. I guess us fresh water guys just don't have the issues that salt water guys have with outdrives.

rustnrot
01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
As you say "I'm sure it will be a beautiful boat when completed". That is the reason. The Donzi hull was used is because it is a fabulous hull. Rather than start from scratch and build a wooden hull to build this type boat (small deep vee), it saves time, money, and testing to start with a fiberglass hull. Fortunately (or unfortunately--I guess depends on your perspective) the 16 Donzi hull fit the bill perfectly and became available.

The v drive, well number one 1. Yesyoucan has a factory 16 v drive and we all LOVE the way it handles! 2. Mike lives on Lake Dora in FL and keeps his boats in a boathouse so clearance or "beaching" is never really an issue. 3. To be different and have a cleaner, more classic looking uncluttered transom.

I can't speak for Mike as I imagine there are other reasons also but these come to mind. Others may not agree with these reasons, but they don't have to, its not their boat.

I also have a spare 16 hull and a supercharged rotary engine and am going to do a mahogany decked one also. I have a line on some Pulse Drive surface piercing drives and may utilize one, otherwise go v drive setup.

Bob
01-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Scott, V Drives are super reliable and able to handle great amounts of power. Drag boats run 800 + HP through them. The lack of trim is a drag performance wise- there is nothing to mess with other than tabs and props.

Yes, you must watch your water depth, but look how many people knock the lowers off their trim and tiltable sterndrives regardless of their shallow water capability. V Drives are also harder to steer at low speed, especially in reverse.

Don't even get me started on sterndrive maintenance issues.:shocking:

yobeslanding
01-13-2006, 08:46 PM
If you buy a stern drive so you can lift it when you get into shallow water , you should be buying a rowboat . Who in there right mind buys a Donzi to boat in shallow water

rustnrot
01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Mike's Pic 'O the Day! Nice progress Mike! Mike has the back of the single bench seat 49.5 inches forward of the transom. Note Uflex tilt wheel helm.

LKSD
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Cool project.. :) Jamie

pmreed
01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Ignore the naysayers; it's cool project. It's not like the only Donzi 16 in existence has just been destroyed:biggrin.: . A hull is just a hull, and this one is a good choice for what you're doing.
Phil

BUIZILLA
01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
This is gonna be pretty cool...

look forward to seeing it at Dora !

JH

yobeslanding
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but a couple questions. First, why run a v-drive? There's no way to lift it up in shallow water to save the prop from damage. No trim capabilities. Second, I like the bench seat idea, but why the mahogany on the deck and transom? Donzi never produced a 16 Classic with a wood deck or transom.
Again, don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure it will be a beautiful boat when completed and I look forward to seeing it someday in person. I guess us fresh water guys just don't have the issues that salt water guys have with outdrives.
Donzi never produced a 16 with a mahogany deck because it wasn't a PRODUCTION LINE option . Because of the cost no one would but it . When you customize and do the work yourself cost is not a problem

yobeslanding
01-14-2006, 07:44 PM
If your going to go in shallow water you need a Rowboat not a Donzi. Stern drives were the boating industries alternative to inefficient and lack of power in 60's vintage outboards. If you want preformance reliability and simplicity inboard power is the way to go

sweet 16 1966
01-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Looking good Mike! Much progress! Keep us posted.

sweet 16 1966
01-14-2006, 11:38 PM
All is not lost!

boldts
01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Guys, guys, guys. Like the first words of my post say. I didn't mean to knock the project. I think creativity is a blessing if you have it. I know for a fact that if you were restoring a 64 Chevelle, yours wouldn't look like mine. That's the beauty of hot rodding and restoring. I really don't have anything against v-drives either. All I know is that you don't want a single screw v-drive on Lake Erie in a wind trying to dock it. Doesn't mean there aren't these equiped type of boats there. I didn't run my Donzi in 2' deep lakes either, but I think everyone has had to motor across an area with little water beneath the boat at some point in their boating life. Like you said, there are those who have also ran their boat aground because of not being aware of a shallow area on a lake or even ocean and it didn't matter what drive was pushing the boat.

Believe me, I'm following the thread with great interest. Just like I've followed threads about replacing a fuel tank in a Donzi or someone doing a complete restore of a Donzi. I applaud you in every way! It looks fantastic so far. Before I bought my first Donzi, I almost bought a wooden Chris. I've always loved the mahogany wood shine and look. Thank-you very much for your lesson in a drive that isn't the commen thing you see every day.

sweet 16 1966
01-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Mike,
Glad your tubing arrived safely. The boat is looking good!. Knew someone would take aim at you for the deck abortion. Need to get some info from you on your method of painting. Where did you get your V-Drive from?

yobeslanding
01-16-2006, 06:26 PM
It's a Crusader v-drive . I got mine from a 66 Century Bronko. You can buy rebuilt ones from Crusader , on line @ crusader.com

yobeslanding
01-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey Mike,
Glad your tubing arrived safely. The boat is looking good!. Knew someone would take aim at you for the deck abortion. Need to get some info from you on your method of painting. Where did you get your V-Drive from?
I use the roll and tip method to paint . Roll with a foam west system roller and follow behind with a poly foam brush to knock down the orange peel left behind by the roller. You will get a sprayed look without the mess and cleanup from a spray gun

rustnrot
02-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Here are the latest pics from Mike. It should be done by Dora and will be participating in the Angel Aid Poker Run this June.

rustnrot
03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
It has been awhile since we checked in with Our Hero, Mike and his mahogany decked 16. Here is the latest photo. Mike does not seem to think it will be done for the show but it is being worked on near Mt. Dora in a shop.
No, that is not a photoshop job. He has replicated the rear deck lines in mahogany......

LKSD
03-02-2006, 09:15 AM
What are you planning on using to varnish the wood with?? Are you going to use Epifanes, Bristol or other?? Looks like it's coming along nicely... Jamie

sweet 16 1966
03-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Mike,
Looks great! Can't wait to see the finish!
I enjoyed the ride Saturday. Lots of very nice folks, thanks for the invite. Suprising how many of the classic wooded boat fans and begining to like the 22 Donzi classics!

rustnrot
03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
After staining, Detco Crystal varnish. Tried Epifanes and others this stuff is WAY better. On a good day we can put 3 coats on (no sanding necessary between coats) and sand that evening with NO gumming of the sandpaper (you should sand after 3-4 coats to level it). 9 coats can be applied in a weekend if you start on a friday night.

We roll and tip the early coats for build and thin it and HVLP it for the latter coat(s).

I order it by the pallet from the manufacturer in California.

Lenny
03-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I too have one of these horrific bench seat projects.
Here are some pics from a few months ago. Final fairing is all that is left now, no recent pics. It needs to come outside with the help of a couple of neighbours so I can take some side shots of it. It ended up better than I thought. Next is Endura high-build primer, wet sanding, primer, wet sanding primer, ... then paint on the deck. Then take a mold off of that :rolleyes:

rustnrot
03-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Here is the official Dora pic from Mike. As you can see the boat is not completed but coming along incredibly nicely. The boat is being worked on at a shop near Mt. Dora and as Mike has mentioned you all can come by to look at it.

rustnrot
04-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Latest from Mike Yobe. Sea trials this week. Has a 390 Cobra in it.....

penbroke
04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
I second 'Poodle's WOW! :yes:

Frank

MOP
04-22-2006, 08:57 PM
It sure has turned out very sweet and will draw some well deserved Oh's & Ah's at Dora.

Phil

Lenny
04-22-2006, 10:50 PM
NICE... :yes:

Can't help but see the KAVALK/Kazulin influence... :)

http://on.apolloduck.ca/image.phtml?id=24770&image=1

http://www.kw.igs.net/~ptait/pg1c.htm

http://antiqueboatamerica.com/ab_list_boatNew.asp?Type=ViewBoat&BoatId=25609

What do you think of this below as a bench seat Boat... ?
http://www.portcarlingboats.com/crackerbox%20notes_files/crackerboxboat.htm

yeller
04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, what can I say. Poodle pretty much said it all!:eek!:

I like the name.:yes:

rustnrot
04-23-2006, 06:59 AM
I thought Mike might chime in with some info so here goes. The windshield brackets were used on alot of the Chris Crafts from the '30's to the 50's. Also, Mike lowered the floor and seat considerably and now sits IN, instead of ON this boat unlike the original. Not an easy task for Mike who is 6' 8" tall.....so the windshield is actually functional.

yobeslanding
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
wow...
freaking wow....
Windshield looks familiar, where's it from??
did I say wow??
Winshield Brackets from a Chris Craft . I made the glass to eliminate the bugs in your face like most Donzi's

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Nice job! Great blend of the old and new. Very reminiscant of the early '60s California ski boats with a dash of Miami styling.
I'm assuming, because of the starboard steering, that you'll be running a RH prop. Are you taking the power off the balancer rather than the flywheel? I'm just curious to know why you decided on a starboard helm.

Eric

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-23-2006, 10:28 PM
What do you think of this below as a bench seat Boat... ?
http://www.portcarlingboats.com/crackerbox%20notes_files/crackerboxboat.htm

I've always loved crackerboxes (and their ancestors).
http://www.geocities.com/kool_toyz/yellowperil.html

Eric

sweet 16 1966
05-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Saw the finished product today--a day before its madian voyage.
Good luck Mike! Looks great.
Boat name is =-- "1/2 Breed" .

sweet 16 1966
05-02-2006, 09:35 PM
A couple more.

LKSD
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Latest from Mike Yobe. Sea trials this week. Has a 390 Cobra in it.....

Came out nice. How long did that take?? A couple days?? Just kidding. You wish. Jamie

Mr. V-Driver
01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Kewl!!!

Injun Joe
01-10-2007, 08:18 PM
No Really...:eek!: I have a Brand Spankin New ZF V-Drive for anyone that wants it. Fits the Lexus/Toyota V8 but could be adapted to others(?) I was given this thing with the agreement that I would not sell it... And I need my job more than a couple of bucks! 1st one to ask for it must only arrainge and pay shipping from central North Carolina. Email me for more info at: Craig_Hoyt@Toyota.com.

rustnrot
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
You have an email. I want it. I can come pick it up.

Injun Joe
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Done. I'll call you tomorrow.

-CH

Silver Bullet
01-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it will look incredible and it will certaninly be unique. The first guy to chop a top on a hot rod probably had mixed emotions from other people but still it stood out in a crowd.

Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

MR MAGOO
01-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Beautiful job! I wish I had the talent to complete a project like this. Really cool.:yes:

Kurt