PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Exhaust Silencers??????

fasttrucker
01-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I need to lower the noise level around the docks:chillpill where I live.So I only need a muffler at idle speeds.This Shotgun:uzi: Exhaust Silencer by www.drewmarine.com would seems to work.Guaranteed no H.P. loss on top end.:checkered Stainless Steel.Made in U.S.A. They list for $460 a pair,but are on sale for $360 in jan. only.:eek: Iam wondering if any one here has used them.I have 4inch pipes.I would not like a full-time muffler and I dont live in CA :pimp: or on a lake.:boat:

need for speed
01-08-2006, 09:30 AM
buy the neighbors some :biggrin: ear plugs...

Chili 18
01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I have run the Shotguns for the past two seasons. They are more about pointing the sound down to the water and some incidental "muffling" from mixing water with the exhaust upon exit. Essentially they are hollow tubes with a spring loaded butterfly valve. You can adjust the amount of pressure required to open them. The best description I have ever heard about their effect is, "they take the bite out of the bark". Im happy with the results and quality of build. They also serve to keep backwash and waves from pouring into the engine...

c/\/\

fasttrucker
01-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Chili 18,The ad says 4 to 9 decibals in noise reduction:lightning:shocking: .I hope that would be enough.Need for Speed their are a few wine+chesse type boaters :rolleyes: on the docks and the condos right behind the docks are filled with upscale older folks:eek!: .Iam not an owner of a slip(I sort of borrow one:biggrin: ),so iam just trying to stay out of trouble here.:yes:

Chili 18
01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Chili 18,The ad says 4 to 9 decibals in noise reduction:lightning:shocking: .I hope that would be enough.Need for Speed their are a few wine+chesse type boaters :rolleyes: on the docks and the condos right behind the docks are filled with upscale older folks:eek!: .Iam not an owner of a slip(I sort of borrow one:biggrin: ),so iam just trying to stay out of trouble here.:yes:

They will definitely help to civilize, thou not tame the beast. It says allot just having 'muffler' tips instead of open pipes. [with the drn boys here too] So, instead of the spound broadcasting out and thumping on the condo windows, it will be diffused. Sort of like using a megaphone to project your voice vs mumbling into the ground. Its a daytime solution as I see it. I wouldnt feel good firing up in the middle of the night by the condos on a regular basis for quiet moonlight rides.

I bought mine from an OSO classified. Seems they have a good used market if they dont work out for you...

joseph m. hahnl
01-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I need to lower the noise level around the docks:chillpill where I live.So I only need a muffler at idle speeds.This Shotgun:uzi: Exhaust Silencer by www.drewmarine.com would seems to work.Guaranteed no H.P. loss on top end.:checkered Stainless Steel.Made in U.S.A. They list for $460 a pair,but are on sale for $360 in jan. only.:eek: Iam wondering if any one here has used them.I have 4inch pipes.I would not like a full-time muffler and I dont live in CA :pimp: or on a lake.:boat:
I got these from gibson http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products.asp?pid=23031

Stix Magill
01-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I have the shotgun tips, and as the others say, they help, but not much. I added a quick and quiet electric switching system last year and it makes a big difference, but amazingly, even with the tips, my boat is still not as quiet as other inboard/outboards at idle. Fine, with me.
Hope this helps.

Ed Donnelly
01-09-2006, 02:53 AM
I have them on the Criterion. Keeps the Harbour Police happy.
As everyone has stated, they are not really mufflers, they deflect the sound down........Ed

Chili 18
01-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Another possible plus of the shotguns is this, They claim that the slight backpressure caused by the spring loaded valves, helps low end combustion efficiency. Apparently some low backpressure is benneficial at low rps, where it is obviously bad at higher revs. So the tension on the valves sort of provides an optimum amount of B/P throughout the curve. At least thats one of the claims.

fasttrucker
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I sent a check on tuesday for the shotguns.I hope they are worth it?:rolleyes:

GEOO
01-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I like mine. Don't think the rob any power and take the bark off. I just read they make new quieter ones.. They also stop reversion!!