PDA

View Full Version : Need Furniture Advice _ Nichols and Stone vs. Hooker

Ranman
01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Anyone out there know anything about furniture (bedroom)? We have been out looking at tons of bedroom furniture and have honed in on a set by Hooker. There is also a set by Nichols and Stone we like as well. The Hooker is more of what we'e looking for asthetically, but the N&S appears to be nicer quality but a bit "older" and more traditional. The Hooker is more affordable and still seems decent ($4K vs. $6K for the set). Anyone know anything about either manufacturer? How does each rate quality wise?

Also, some friends said to shop VA, NC, and SC distributors vs. MI for better costs (delivered). Any commente on this?

Trying to fill the new house...

Thanks.

Ranman and Donzi Jenn

Scott Pearson
01-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Randy,
I have bought all my furniture from N.C. I deal with Furnitureland South. They are in Jamestown NC # (336) 841-4328. Find what you and get the name and model and call Furnitureland. Your gonna save about 30-40%. They carry hundreds of companys.

Hooker is real nice. I have always liked their bedroom sets. Also you might want to look at Samuel Lawerence, their real nice also.

Hope this helps!

rustnrot
01-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Randy, call yesyoucan (16' v drive) at 7065649300. He owns a huge furniture store here in Augusta and knows all the model numbers of everything....by heart. He carries Hooker, and just about everything else.

While you can still go to NC to get a "deal" anymore, I see no point in it. 99% of the furniture is now made in China and the factories in NC are all closed or closing. Mark makes trips to NC monthly to pick up residue from these closed factories.

I am from Rochester, MI originally so if you come down to get furniture, let me know you can stay with us here in Augusta.

Today (Sunday) is a good day to call Mark. He is painting the bottom of his Donzi.....

pmreed
01-08-2006, 08:01 AM
I've saved a ton of money buying quality furniture in North Carolina. That's an apples to apples comparison on the same pieces in NC vs local Orlando stores; savings on the order of 40%. Didn't know about yesyoucan's store or I certainly would have included him in my last furniture search. I will be sure to include him in the next one when I furnish my media room.

Phil

hardcrab
01-08-2006, 06:48 PM
FURNITURE ??!!! does "rep" power register in negative numbers?

TuxedoPk
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Randy- The prudent advice usually given to people is to defer buying furniture for about a year after moving into a new home.

I agree and strongly suggest just using the furniture that you have for a while.

Finances aside, you will get a different feel for the house once you are living there and will likely make different choices.

As tempting as having new furniture when you move into your home is, I'd just suggest you consider this suggestion as it has been passed along for many years by many people who've approached it both ways.

BTW-Congradulations again. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of your house as it was being built. I'm happy and excited for both you and Jenn.

DAULEY
01-09-2006, 08:55 AM
look at lexingtons high end stuff then order form nc most furniture has a 150% to 200% mark up we saved over half by ording direct from the mart .shops in wis wanted 8000 for our set we got it for 3600 del we bought the bob timberlake collection, high point nc is where the mart is
good luck

TBroccoli
01-10-2006, 12:14 PM
How much for the hooker in the bedroom? The wife goes for that? Nice.

Seriously, go with Scott P's advise. Furnitureland South is the way to go. Delivery from NC to DE for a bedroom set, family room, and sunroom was $136 ten years ago. There are lots of places in NC just like Furnitureland.

Good luck.

CHACHI
01-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Randy- The prudent advice usually given to people is to defer buying furniture for about a year after moving into a new home.
I agree and strongly suggest just using the furniture that you have for a while.
Finances aside, you will get a different feel for the house once you are living there and will likely make different choices.
As tempting as having new furniture when you move into your home is, I'd just suggest you consider this suggestion as it has been passed along for many years by many people who've approached it both ways.
BTW-Congradulations again. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of your house as it was being built. I'm happy and excited for both you and Jenn.Take heed, moved into a new home 3 years ago,bought new furniture a year after we moved in........the bride is very pleased. Ken

MOP
01-10-2006, 02:37 PM
I kind of agree with waiting, you feel more to home bringing some of the old home with you. Last time I waited and ended up only changing about half, the biggest hit was the Lane bed room set but well worth it.

Phil