PDA

View Full Version : PNW 2006? Ideas?

b.guggenmos
01-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on a Pacific Northwest 2006 Donzi gathering? Should we stick with Lake Chelan? Little rough "actually a lot rough" and cold last year but still the best lake around Wa. to go fast and have fun. If anyone has another idea we should kick it around. How about dates? It is always nice to start to get things figured for summer events now so that everyone has time to plan and maybe we can have the largest gathering yet. Brian

Lenny
01-07-2006, 08:11 PM
You COULD tie it into the Poker Run here in Victoria, (Gulf Islands), we all party at the end at the Airport Hangar and then following day run up to Mudge Island and see Mike Millers summer place. :D

June 24th-ish weekend.

HANG ON, no, that won't work. I will be in Arizona at the Donzi Gathering there. :D

Leave it with me. I have an idea. ;) and we can spend a night in America or Canada, your choice.

Uncle Fester
02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
You know we're game for Chelan since it's in our back yard. I'll give the hotels a call and see when the last weekend of their winter rates will be in effect. Darnells is a dump, but affordable for off season rates. Campbells is allot nicer and has better docking but costs more. Never stayed at Caravel, but their moorage sucks.

b.guggenmos
02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
That would be great. Lake Chelan is still the best place to gather, go fast and have fun. Cheap is good and it helps having a local to do the checking. We are supposed to be on the water more than in the rooms. Maybe more boats this year? Gee. Maybe the guy's with the flat bottom jet boat can come again. Just kidding. Maybe some Canadians EH or is it AH and maybe Oregon. Brian

Uncle Fester
02-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Not to leave anyone hangin'.....I have been extremely busy lately. The only thing I have for you all so far is that there are three seasonal rates at Campbells.....winter/spring-fall/summer. Spring ends the weekend before Memorial and it's $148 a night.

We got good water this year. The lake I live on is already higher than it's been in the last two years. But Chelan was and is extremely low. I don't think I've ever seen it that low. They have to bring it up by Memorial and sustain it until Labor Day per the contract with the PUD. So if we try to catch it as close to Memorial as possible (before the summer rates kick in) we should have a good time.

I'll try to remember to call the other places next week and get back to everybody.

Fester

Uncle Fester
03-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Sorry for letting everybody down. DonziKat and I broke up two weeks ago. (her choice) Haven't been able to do much of anything (even work). I'm so messed up and depressed about this I might even get rid of the boat. Everytime I look at it I think of our last two years together and all the fun we have shared.

Sorry, I'm just a hearbroken fool who wears his heart on his sleeve.

If you guys decide to do something I will see if I can make it. Would be great if you come to Chelan even if I don't have the boat anymore.

DonCig
03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.familyfunonthewater.com/fun_destinations/lake_coeur_dalene.htm

yeller
03-26-2006, 03:49 PM
It looks like Lake Powell is stealing the thunder, (that's were I'm going) but that doesn't mean we still can't have a PNW event. The Idaho lake that DonCig suggests looks cool, but personally I can't afford a second long roadtrip.
I'm into Chelan again or the San Juan islands.
I know normally the event is around the same time as Powell but how do people feel about moving it more into the summer. Prices for lake hotels are more but we can always stay in town and pull out everyday. Besides the overnight docking, I never use the lakeside amenities anyway. I'm either in the boat, in a resturant/bar, or sleeping. Boating, eating, drinking, then sleeping...the essence of life :biggrin:

EricG, MXRoadster.....where are you???

harry4
04-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Any thoughts on Roche Harbor??? I know a great little bar there......schedule it after the fourth of July so Lake Powell can be added to the schedules?? A little salt water won't hurt to bad.
Harry

Lenny
04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I do Roche all the time. Nice little place. Pender Isand, (Poets Cove) would be a LOT nicer, and is about 20 DONZI minutes away.

Only in my Country :D and a LOT of GREAT Islands around (700 actually) ans about 6 more great little beer/gas stops c/w pubs and docking facilities.

http://www.poetscove.com/

thriller
04-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm in Whatever, Wherever...Prefer a July time frame...

EricG
04-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Well...after 4 years in a row at Chelan, I think I'm ready to sign on for something different. I think Chelan is great, but it's such a long haul for most of us that it's got to be a 1 or 2 nighter just to justify the travel time.

I like the idea of a San Juan/Canadian Islands run. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a weekend of anything this year (We're still recovering finanacially from the wedding), but I think doing something up there would allow a day trip for some, and a weekend for those that want to.

I agree with Thriller that July would probably be best - especially due to weather. We are unavailible on the 22/23, but any other weekend works.

Let's pick a target and start planning...

EG

Uncle Fester
04-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Sure.....you guys spoil me last year for having it in my "backyard" and now I'm looking at the "long haul".......

That's ok. Whatever you guys decide I will make a point of coming to it.

I've told my new gal all about it and she is excited to meet everybody. Can't wait until next weekend when I finally get her out in the boat and see her face the first time I fire it up.

Bring on the warm weather......soon please.....I'm going through Donzi withdrawals

Fester

yeller
04-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Fester, it's good to see you came to your senses and kept the boat :boat: :biggrin:

Eric, good to see your alive...was wondering when you were going to respond :wavey:

I'm all for San Juan area. Easy for NW people to do a day trip or weekend. I can't give any particulars though because I've never been to the area. Gonna be gone on holidays June17~July9 so that's out for me. The weekend of the 15th might be too busy for me, just being back from holidays and all. Eric, your gone the next weekend. Best bet for me is weekend of the 29th (or any time Aug.)

How bout everyone throw up the best times for them and we see what works for most. Hoping I can make it, but more importantly let's not let this annual event die. It's been very quite this year.:beer:

yeller
04-08-2006, 12:18 AM
I should mention that I probably could make it on the weekend of the 15th, it's just not the best for me.

Uncle Fester
04-08-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm just desperate to get together with you guys......so I will make any date work. (not looking forward to the tow or the salt.....but we'll survive)

Yeller......don't know what the hell I was thinking. Must of had my blinders on (actually had them on for two years). But now i've seen the light and know what true happiness really is. So the boat stays. I ain't going nowhere.

ONCE A DONZI ALWAYS A DONZI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lenny
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Fester, tow 2400 miles one way to go boating, and then I will respect you... :D

Com'on, you are in Washington and I am 300 miles North.

When I see a DONZI gathering in NORTH AMERICA I get a woody... ;)

...no pain,... no gain...

EricG
04-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm officially proposing July 29th for a San Juans/Canadian Islands (whatever they are called?) run. I think Yeller said that would work, anyone else willing to jump in on that day?

EG

DonCig
04-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Its on my calander!
First timer but with no boat. Where is Mike when I need him. Where did my sunglasses go?

Don

Uncle Fester
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
You guys are going to help me out here I hope. I am not familiar with the water or anything for that matter up in that area. So keep me posted on what hotel and what ramp we'll use and stuff like that so I can make reservations for me and Sherry.

Hope we'll be launching in WA 'cause I can't tow across the border (felony and all.......just kidding). No, I tow with the company rig and it can't cross the border because of the insurance.

Why did we have to pick salt water? I've spent the last two years fixing all the stuff that the salt water did before I got the boat? Just kidding. One weekend ain't gonna kill me.

yeller
04-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Way to go Eric. Someone had to step up and put a date on this thing. I don't know the area at all so I really can't help pick a spot, but I've marked that weekend on the calendar.
We can pick an island hotel or one on the mainland and pull out each night. I'd love to do an island hotel, but after a new boat and 3wks holiday, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it. Not saying I can't...just not sure if I can.

Fester, seeing as you brought up salt water...for anyone that is worried about it, DON'T BE! I've run my 16 in salt several times a year for the past 18yrs and it still has all the original chrome, drive, exhaust, wiring, etc...
A quick flush and rinse after it's out and you'll never know it was in it.

DonCig...you've got a seat in my boat if ya need.......unless you piss me off at Powell, of course. :fire: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Uncle Fester
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Well.....got the whole tow rig thing worked out. My new girlfriend just bought an '07 Yukon so we could tow the boat. So now crossing the border is no big deal. It was cute....she calls me up and asks if a 5.3 V8 is enough motor and I asked why.....then she asks if white is ok to match the boat because she doesn't really like a flashy red truck.....i ask why again and she says she's picking me up for dinner in her new ride....:shocking: :beer: :propeller

What a change form that other POS that wouldn't even work for the two years we were together

So what's the deal with the gathering??? Shouldn't we start making hotel reservations? Where are we staying?

yeller
05-04-2006, 09:48 AM
This event seems to be in limbo. The odd post here and there but no real committment. EricG suggested July 29th but besides myself, no one else said if that date was ok.
Sssooooo...(hoping I'm not stepping on anyones toes)...I am going to say that is THE OFFICIAL date. :lookaroun

The general concensus seems that the islands is a good location.
Sssooooo...(hoping I'm not stepping on anyones toes)...I am going to say that is THE OFFICIAL location. :lookaroun

I would pinpoint the exact spot if I could, but I have never been there, so I can't. We need someone who knows the area to step up and just say...this is were it is!
In order to get as many people as possible, I say we launch Seattle/Bellingham..ish area (again someone needs to say where the best spot is). As far as a boating destination, try to keep it to a day trip (roundtrip) so people can return to the mainland if they only wish to make a day of it. A hotel should be located on one of the islands for those that wish to make 2 days of it.

At this point, I am willing accept anywhere. If you have a launch, boat destination, or hotel you would like to stay at...just post it and state it as THE OFFICIAL whatever, otherwise we'll still be deciding in October. :beer: :biggrin: :boat:

Oh, yea, us salt water guys will have muffs and hoses to flush your boat after the trip so PLEASE don't be concerned about running in the seas.

Uncle Fester
05-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know my way around the north sound at all so I am at a loss and just have to go with the flow.

I do have an idea though.....Bremerton has a nice new hotel right next to their very nice marina. Day people could come from around the sound to the marina and us "long hauls" could stay at the new Hampton Inn (you can see it in the background). I've already checked and rooms are available for that weekend for $159/night.

There is tons to do and lots of places to go around there. Lots of restaurants with boat access, 15 min from Seattle....

Just an idea if Chelan is out of the question this summer.

DJ13
05-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Uncle Fester, nice idea! I'm in, of course! :)

Formula Jr
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Okay 29th/30th. July.
Sounds Good. (pun intended) San Juan/Gulf Islands.

I didn't want to jump in till I knew I could commit to it.

Anacortes launch point for USA Guys?
Will do some research. Places and distances. Work an intinerary.

We probably can't book rooms on the San Juans, too late, but maybe some where else. We could try, but which will not really work, is the cove infront of Doe Bay - a camp ground on north east Orcas. A person would need to raft in and then camp in tents at the over flow area. $15 a night - I think.
This will be a two day affair. Sat and Sun 29th to the 30th. We could also boat camp and find a cove in the San Juans and overnight there as a floatilla. We only need two free buoys then raft. There are rest rooms on shore. That would offset gas expenses but women partners might not find that an attractive option. Maybe they can pay for the rooms. :)

I had thought about Bell Harbor Down Town Seattle, as a place to overnight, yet everything reasonable will be booked up in the area.

This will be a good reason to fix the JR.

yeller
05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Had to pull out the maps to see where you were talking about Formula. Anacortes definately looks like a good launch point. If we pull out, what do you think of getting rooms close by in Burlington or Mt Vernon area. It also gives the option of going to Lake Whatcom on Sunday for a fresh water flush. (Just a thought)

Lenny
05-07-2006, 10:30 AM
There is this place, about 10-15 minutes from me by boat and on the American side.

http://www.rocheharbor.com/

iznod33
05-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Being Anacortes residents, Craig and I are watching this thread with great interest. As far as I know we have no plans for th 29/30th of July and it would be great to meet other Donzi owners. We know the islands well and would be happy to share our local knowledge. Please keep us posted. Holly

Uncle Fester
06-24-2006, 04:16 PM
K, so nobody has given any more information about this. It's only a month away......

So this is where I'll be on the 29th:

http://www.nwoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570

DJ13
06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
I'll be the same place Fester's going to be on the 29th of July..:wink:

EricG
06-27-2006, 10:26 AM
I was afraid that gathering would be the same day. The Bremerton gathering (former fun run) is a lot of fun, and the hardware is always impressive.

However, I think I'm still game for a run up north that day if anyone else is interested?

EG

yeller
07-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I was afraid that gathering would be the same day. The Bremerton gathering (former fun run) is a lot of fun, and the hardware is always impressive.
However, I think I'm still game for a run up north that day if anyone else is interested?
EG

Bobi and I are still in if the weather is good. All I need is one other boat and it's a done deal, so let's go Eric.
My plan is to stay around Mt Vernon friday night and launch at Anacortes saturday morning. Sound ok? How's a 10 am launch sound? That should give us plenty of day for exploring.

I'm sure Lenny would meet us in the water somewhere and I spoke with Blueliner earlier and he really wanted to go. I'll give Lenny, Mike and Steve a call to see if they'll go.

thriller
07-10-2006, 01:50 AM
The 29th doesn't really work for me as well as the 30,31,1,2nd does. maybe I can Join in a day late? If so, I'm In:)

EricG
07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Looks like this gathering sort of fizzled out... I got your message a few weeks ago Yellar, I apologize for not getting back to you. I had 2 1/2 weeks of marathon travel hit last minute and I just got back to town this week - everything is in disaray around the house so I'm not in a position to do anything this weekend. I really hope we can put together something later in the summer/fall. I hope everyone who goes to the redezvous has fun.

EG