PDA

View Full Version : Gaffrig II gauge bezel change

Donzi LG
01-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone, I'm hoping some of the experts can help me out! I have a 2001 22ZX with Gaffrig II gauges and I'm thinking of adding some colored bezels to match the purple accents on the boat. I've looked at their site and can't figure out which bezels I would need and if you can even change them on the Gaffrig IIs. I've included a pic of my dash. Has anyone changed bezels on these gauges and if so which type, flat? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

John

Donzi LG
01-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Are you wanting to change the actual bezel on the gauges (not feasible), or add colored bezels under the gauges for contrast?? (easy)

The latter, as you have pictured. Would the flat bezels be the ones for this? I'm also wondering if I have enough space between the small gauges. If it's doable is it just a matter of popping the gauge out and mounting the bezel under? Thanks for the help, I think this would look great if it can be done.

John

Donzi LG
01-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Great, thanks for the help. Yeah, if anyone has done this on a ZX please let me know how the clearance is.

smokediver
01-07-2006, 12:16 PM
you might want to try to get measurements for the slim line bezels . they have a smaller diameter profile . i picked up a set from eddie marine for around 8 bucks apiece .

Donzi LG
01-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Looking closely I might have a problem with the clearance between the fuel and oil press gauges, they look really close. I think the instrument panel would look great with the color accents if I can find ones to fit.

smokediver, I looked at the Eddie Marine site but couldn't find any bezels described as slimline. Do you remember if they were listed specifically as a slim profile bezel? Again everyone, thanks for the input.

John

smokediver
01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/powdercoated_accessories_bezels.htm ... here is a site with what you need to know ...

Donzi LG
01-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Perfect!! Thank you sir!

John

rustnrot
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Gaffrig has stick-on bezels from the front to change color. http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Products/accessories.cfm?theSubCategory=43

Donzi LG
01-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Gaffrig has stick-on bezels from the front to change color. http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Products/accessories.cfm?theSubCategory=43

Those look like the solution to the space issue. Looks like they just snap on over the originals, correct? More great info, thanks! If these go right over I think they'll fit all the gauges.

rustnrot
01-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Let us know how they work out. They either snap on or have some kind of stick-um on them. If the latter, I'd worry about the hot sun popping them off....

RickSE
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Donzi LG, this wouldn't happen to be a 6.2L boat with purple "Reflections" grafics paint would it? Also on a white MYCO.

Donzi LG
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Donzi LG, this wouldn't happen to be a 6.2L boat with purple "Reflections" grafics paint would it? Also on a white MYCO.
Why yes it would!! How did you know that?? That sure looks like it, is that mine?
John

RickSE
01-10-2006, 11:57 AM
, is that mine?
John

Yes it must be. Are you the original owner or second? I thought I saw the boat for sale a while back. My dad had the boat at his dealership in New Mexico; pictures are from the Feb 2001 NM Boat Show. A major drought hit NM and new boat sales went to zero so we advertised nationally and sold the boat to someone in New York. The boat went from FL to NM to NY. I almost bought it from my dad but the timing was not right. I sat in that boat for four days trying to sell it at the show.

Have you ever wondered why it's purple on top-yellow on bottom "Reflections" instead of the standard yellow on top-purple on bottom? My dad sold a standard color "Reflections" 22ZX in 2000 to a guy in NM and liked the graphic package so much that he wanted another one for the 2001 show. He didn't want to upset the owner of the 2000 boat, having a twin boat in the same state, so he had Donzi switch the colors on your boat.

Also funny story, our delivery guy claimed someone tried to steal the boat from him in NY at gun point before he delivered it to the new owner. I'm not sure what his goal was but I always felt he was full of crap.

How is she doing? Seemed like it would be a good one with the 6.2L.

Donzi LG
01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes it must be. Are you the original owner or second? I thought I saw the boat for sale a while back. My dad had the boat at his dealership in New Mexico; pictures are from the Feb 2001 NM Boat Show.

How cool is that??!! It's definitely the same boat; after your post this weekend I looked at my paperwork and yes it was originally delivered to a dealer in NM, obviously your dad! I bought it last April from the guy in New York, it had only 47 hours on it and now it still has less than 70. It's in near perfect shape and really moves with the 6.2. Thanks so much for chiming in and sending the pics, it's cool to trace the history of your own boat. About the color scheme, is this rare to have mine with the purple as the dominant color in the scheme; would it have to have been ordered that way? Never seen any with my exact color scheme. thanks again...

John

RickSE
01-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Yours was custom ordered and probably is the only one with the colors switched. Here's the standard "Reflections" graphic. There also are not many 22ZX's with the 6.2L, most are 350's. We were upset when Donzi discontinued the big block 22ZX in the 2000, forcing us to sell the previous 22ZX with a 350, so my dad ordered your boat with the 6.2L when it became available in the 2001 model year.

Great to hear she is doing well and being taken care of. I'll let my dad know.

mrfixxall
01-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Just to let the members know that the glue on bezels won't fit the garrerig II guages..

Donzi LG
05-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Well I was able to add bezels to half the gauges on Sunday and they look even better than I'd hoped. I plan on finishing this weekend and I'll post pics of the final outcome. I ended up getting the slimline bezels from Livorsi and they fit perfectly. Had I gone with normal bezels I wouldn't have had enough room. Note to any other 22ZX owners, slimline bezels! I only have 3 left to do and one is the in-dash Gaffrig hour meter. I haven't taken this panel off yet but is there anything that I need to know regarding the analog hour meter? What kind of connections can I expect? I just want to make sure I don't screw up the hour reading when I disconnect everything. Sorry for the dumb question but I'm not sure about this one gauge. These will really add a nice touch to the helm. I also purchased a Momo Spargi wheel which is beautiful. If anyone has installed one of these I'd like to hear about how to line up the new wheel; I know whe bolt pattern to the hub is slightly different from the stock wheel. Would there be any adjustments required to line up the new wheel or is it a pretty straightforward swap? Thanks for the help so far!

John

Donzi LG
05-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I finally finished installing the rest of the bezels as well as a new Momo wheel, powdercoated cupholders and billet aluminum battery boxes. It all came out pretty sweet, I'm really happy with the results. I was hoping to break up the all white helm with purple accents and it worked pretty well. Check it out! :shades:

John