PDA

View Full Version : The Corsican, what is in a name and style?

Lenny
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Question #1, Why this name?

Question #2, Was it supposed to "resemble" the infamous (at that point) DONZI 28 or at least be a rendition of such?

Question #3, Why the radical design departure from everything else? Does it coincide with the re-design team of the X-18?

curious...any ideas?

Rob
01-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Personally I think they were modeled after the GW Invader. At least that's what I told myself when I was tooling around in my Invader as a youngster!! :)

mattyboy
01-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Rob yes that might be one theory ;)

but actually it was a geo-political statement linking the boat to the history of corsica, which has been an island with a turbulent past and one of many conquering nations but the island has kept it's own identity and style above all other mediterean islands strong proud people determined but stylish, a small close knit people yes and does that not sum up all that the boat has we know it stands for strength, style , grace , speed. the close knit seating arrangement Yes and no other boat has made such a bold statement or has taken such styling cues, oh yes it is an HISTORIC boat

:) ;)

well that might be some revisionist history still the boat is styled like now other, and they are truely a unique and rare boat. wonder what the real story behind the name was

olredalert
01-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Lenny,

------Im not quite sure what you mean by "coincide" with X18s. Corsicans were designed long before X18s. I think the designing and tooling actually took place during 1967. Kens NO.1 boat is the only C-boat to date that I have seen with the cast DONZI logo. I believe Kens boat was one of the 1968 New York Boatshow boats. For some reason the early numbered Corsicans dont seem to be surfacing (no pun intended).
------As far as the use of "Corsican", I think its fairly simple. Don had always played up a European influence as part of his marketing scheme. Although Don was next door at Magnum by the time the Chisholms initiated the Corsican design, I think they were very mindful of that European "hook". In part Matty is correct in his general statement, the name Corsican had a bit of mystery about it.
------There was definetly somewhat of an influence from the 28s. That cant be denied. The boats demise basicly arose out of the very deck shape that made the boat so unique. Have you ever tried to walk up to the bow of a highly waxed Corsican??? After the initial 30 or 35 Corsicans orders dropped off as the boat was looked at as being sort of useless. While I actually prize that uselessness others back in the day apparently didnt. Roy, John and Tim still wanted a more upscale 18 and also knew they were going to need a higher hatch to clear some of the new Mercruiser engine and drive combos that were coming out, and the X18 was the end result. John told me back then that they used a young automotive designer to do the X18 deck, hence the small duck-tail spoiler. Id love to know that designers name today. Whats funny is that apparently they didnt have any firm idea exactly how much more deck height they would need as the TRS set-ups they were so anxious to use needed to have even more clearance, hence the extra scoop-like things for the risers...........Bill S

Formula Jr
01-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Brownie answered this one about three years ago;
as to what influenced the design of the Corsican.
The first one was black and white, and nicknamed the "Nun."

http://www.surfury.co.uk/

Lenny
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
"CORSICAN - 281,000 in Corsica. 341,000 or more in all countries. Also spoken in Canada, Puerto Rico, USA, Venezuela, Cuba, Bolivia, Uruguay, Italy. Corsican is in the Tuscan group of Italian dialects. Corsican has been recognized as a separate language by the French government. Speakers are bilingual in French but many are not fluent in it."

So, Corsican is the language spoken by these people in that region of France, the area known as Corsica.

Here is their flag. http://worldatlas.com/webimage/flags/countrys/europe/corsica.gif

Looks familar ;) http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16902&d=1135617504

So, is the "boat" speaking a language of these people? For them? And if so, why the importance of "Corsica" to the DONZI marque?

tom freeman
07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
i have a corsican 18 wher can i get logo's like the ones pictured here, tom@freemanmiami.com

tom freeman
07-18-2007, 06:59 PM
cn you help me get decals like you have here

BERTRAM BOY
07-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I believe Richard Weaver has the artwork to do reproduction's of these.

mphatc
07-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I also recall someone once telling me that the name "Corsican" was coined as a connection to the Mediteranean . . . ?

Bill,

Several early boats are around . .
The green and white one I acquired a few years back is C18C16 and has the cast Donzi Marine script. Bill of Sale and title made it a 1968 boat.
A friend of mine owned a white a green 1968 boat green upholstery 302 Ford power, it to had the Donzi Script . hull number 3 possibly . . . The present owner of the boat is on here occasionally.

As for decals, I'll have a few in my hands shortly and will make them available to all! Watch here or the Performance section. . Corsican owners, shall we limit access to these?:eek!::eek!::):wink::)

Mario

tom freeman
07-26-2007, 06:23 PM
is the decal on the stern a donzi on a white background or the silver, I have seen it both ways and have both decals.

also is there a donzi logo on the deck up by the wind sheld, i saw a yello one in an old photo of Miami and the boat had a white backgrounded logo on the stern and a silver one on the deck.

so what was the original look?

mphatc
07-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Tom,

The picture below shows Bill's boat , the last one made . . we believe . . :wink:
It is different from the very early Corsican's

IRC . . the yellow boat with the logo on the deck was the boat used in advertising .

The Corsican "DONZI" letters on the stern are a bit smaller than other 18's and were made from a brushed finish decal , not glossy silver chrome. These had to be die cut . and to date we haven't located any NOS . . and found someone to accurately reproduce them.

Early boats also had the cast script above the letters . .this would be 1968 boats

Below is an image of mine with the decals in the original locations from 1969.

Note that mine does not have the title Corsican scripted like Bill's boat.

Mario

mphatc
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Scott,

Bill's boat is C18 C54

Recall a thread last fall about boats that went to Canada in the mid 70's a red and white boat was one.

Mario

olredalert
09-21-2007, 08:41 PM
-------Mario,,,The fella that owned that red Corsican brand new bought my Corsican a month ago. His was indeed a later serial # than mine. The red Corsican is still on his lake up in the Muskokas owned by a good friend of his. Due to the condition of my back now I just couldnt handle an 18 anymore. It was a sad day for me but at least #54 went to an absolutely great home.........Bill S