PDA

View Full Version : new member 18classic

never2fast
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey guys im new here, and just wanted too say hello. My brother and I have inherited a 18' classic outboard that was from a late uncle from marathon flordia. We are going through and rebuilding the whole boat. Does anybody have the stats of these 18's. i have no clue how many were made but i know it was few. i will take pictures through out the build and post them. i gotta look at the hull# and find out what year it is. Anyways thanks for any future help and inormation. Jake

Rootsy
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
you REALLY need to post some photos... it's rumored that there was at least 1 18 OB manufactured... but anymore are not supposed to exist

JR

never2fast
01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
i will get some pictures as soon as possible. i didnt take any when we towed it back from the keys, i kinda kick myself for that. My brother has already cut the transom out and seperated the cap and hull. so pictures at this point wont prove to you guys it was originally an outboard, but i will hunt arround and ask my cousin if he has pictures. i know for sure he has a home video of his dad running it. I would post that but i dont know how to get it from camera to computer...

Formula Jr
01-05-2006, 05:56 PM
First, Hello and Welcome to the madness!

We are going to be very interested in your boat if it is indeed
a 2+3 outboard 18 Donzi. We have a few thousand members
to this board and we have thoughly searched both Canada and the USA
for rare Donzis. If it was made, we've pretty much found an example of it.
Even boats as rare as having only five or less made.
We have found several examples of the 16 OB, a rare boat, but I think we have never found an actual real, factory 18 2+3 outboard.
So in the absence of photos, can you give a description of your boat?
Is the helm Port or Starboard?
Does it have two front seats and a bench seat in back, or does it have one chair seat and then a wrap around bench seat?

Does it look like it has been converted, ie, has an aft engine hatch and then a transom extention to hang the OB off of?
Most of the OB 16s were made from '74 to '76 so you should have a VIN number on the upper Starboard transom if it was part of that build era.
Does it have two side hatches on either side of the transom well?
These descriptions will give us some idea of what it is.
If you don't have a digital camera, I'm sure someone will want to take photos for us if it is an 18.

Formula Jr
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
A down and dirty method of getting home video to digital is just to set up a digital camera with a movie function and take a video of the home movie off a tv or projection screen. It will be grainy, but we will be able to tell what it was.

txtaz
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
I use Adaptecs' analog to digital converter with Video Ohh software. It's about $100 and you can convert all your VHS tapes to DVD. Great for saving some of the old stuff to a more stable media and recording new stuff direct (you need a BIG hard drive).
Da Taz

Lenny
01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
then you probably have the ONLY one... :eek:

I CAN NOT BELIEVE that "Poodle" hadn't found it already. Marathon and all.

He must have had a "cold" that day and couldn't smell it ;)

Hope it is the real thing. :yes:

BUIZILLA
01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Hmmm, betcha I can get you within 300 feet of where both of those pic's were taken... :wink:

JH