PDA

View Full Version : what is it ?

hardcrab
01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
my 1966 18' 2+3 has a half round "bracket" glassed in the bilge area approx. under the front seats. i was told this was a mount for a V-drive, (mine is a volvo 290) however, i've seen no indication of patchwork where the shaft and hardware were ever present.
was this hull set up as a potential V-drive application and never installed as such?
ALSO........... i was told................ my engine hatch cover, single hatch, which measures 34' x 60" (at it's wide end) is that of the size of a triple hatch cover and single cover on the 18' is smaller.
can someone please set me straight ?

mattyboy
01-04-2006, 02:33 PM
a 66 would not come with a 290 drive, might have been a v drive at one time??
do you have a hull number?? what is the power in the boat any serial numbers on that?? sounds like it might have been a triple hatch v drive barrelback !!!

hold on wait a minute you're the guy who hates yankee fans??

go pound salt ;) :p :)

hardcrab
01-04-2006, 02:43 PM
hate is a strong word:rolleyes:
anyway, the outdrive is definatly newer. i've been inside out of this hull (the deck is currently off) and there are no numbers of any kind to be found.
i've looked on both sides of the hull for any sign of repair where the shaft would have passed thru
( thanks for talking to me anyway Matty)

mattyboy
01-04-2006, 03:16 PM
could I see a 66 hull waiting to be rigged as a v-drive no v drive on hand so it's gets what they got on hand an eaton or early 200 volvo sure
is the inside hull raw glass or paint?? outside gel or paint?? which way does the hatch open front to back or side to side??

hardcrab
01-04-2006, 07:13 PM
the inside surface has been sanded to expose woven roving, exterior is gel coat. the hatch opens front to back.

mattyboy
01-04-2006, 07:35 PM
the inside surface has been sanded to expose woven roving, exterior is gel coat. the hatch opens front to back.

what was there before sanding besides the bilge everything else should be raw glass no writing on the back of dash stringers back of seat underside of deck
post some pics what motor is in it??

penbroke
01-04-2006, 08:17 PM
...ALSO........... i was told................ my engine hatch cover, single hatch, which measures 34' x 60" (at it's wide end) is that of the size of a triple hatch cover and single cover on the 18' is smaller.
can someone please set me straight ?

Yep, that's the size of the opening in my triple hatch. The opening on my boat IS larger than any single hatch boat I have seen. I don't have exact dimensions but I'm sure somebody here does. The clamshell vents are mounted farther outboard than single hatch boats. If the hatch is factory is may be a transition boat.

Is your battery mount under the rear seat or below the seat in the bilge? Sharp keel or rounded? Are there photos here somewhere?

My boat does not have anything for mounting a v-drive gearbox so it's not something they all had.

Frank
'66 Triple Hatch

hardcrab
01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Very useful input guys, .... thanks.
this confirms my suspicions this is a transition boat.

the hatch IS factory, the keel is a sharp V.
when i got the boat, the battery was mounted in the bilge, under the floor hatch forward of the rear seat - no access panel in seat bottom as it was in my 16'
as i've mentioned, the deck is currently off and the deck re-core job is complete with new deck stringers. the old core & stringers were FAR gone; no I.D. #'s were found.
i haven't cleaned the paint build up off the seat backs yet and, the bilge has had roving laid up on the original surface. so it seems i'm not done looking for #'s yet.
this weekend i'll uncover the deck and hull and post pics.
thanks again......... i appreciate the information

P.S. it is set up for small block chevy (yes, modified since birth)

Rootsy
01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
my 18 restoration project is a 1966 single hatch (of normal size) and the hull number is on the back of the dash... #105 from the best of mine and others viewing before me... the number is also located on the bow block for mounting the front lifting eye...apparenty one of the first single hatches of "normal" size after transition? the numbers are hard to read but much easier if you wet the surface..

my boat is original starboard helm and originally equipped with a 340 buick and an omc drive...

is it possible that someone made a single hatch for the large opening after losing a hatch part, etc? any screw holes, etc for the center section to screw to?

penbroke
01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Rootsy and Hardcrab: Where is your transom light? Set in the center of the tramsom above the drive or on a pole on the rear deck?
Frank

hardcrab
01-08-2006, 08:05 AM
what are the (normal) dimensions of a single hatch on a 18' classic?
my hatch appears to be an unmolested factory fabrication.
the anchor light arrangement is the flush transom housing used with the small deck mounted fitting just forward of the cockpit.
i have port side steering...................
the wood sandwich in the transom is 24" wide - currently in good condition, is being replaced full width using coosa board
REGARDING NUMBERS; on my title, hull ID #'s are listed as: MDZ46100K366
I don't know if these numbers are relevent to production or assigned to the boat by the DNR
i am anxious to post project progress pix. so far i can't get 'em to stick........... must recruit help (old dog, new tricks)

sweet 16 1966
01-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Rootsy,

I see where yur ID number is. I never found mine and its believed to be a 66 but could be older. No clam shells ever instaled. Originally an Eaton buy I changed to a merc. Rear light is flush. Good luch with the resto!
What made you do it? You had a great running boat!
Anyone got a 16' hull they want to get rid of. I have a 67 deck.