PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp Tales 2006

BUIZILLA
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
alllllrighty now... :yes:

it's been a while since we broached this topic... :lobster:

we get to Black Point ramp today, on a GORGEOUS day for boating...

we pick pier 8, cool... very little traffic, place is almost empty... exiting the truck the stench is overwhelming, almost the ENTIRE dock is covered in :puke: :puke: :puke: the birds are circling for lunch, Janice is gagging, not a good start.....

launch the Scarab OF, and park the truck, the Rasta Ranger see's me and gives me a lift back to the dock in his buggy as usual, this guy is a gas, conversation goes like this> (me) hey bud, slow weekend? (him) f*** no bro', ya shoulda seen the explosion and fire we had yesterday morning at 8:30 am..:eek!: :eek!: (me) no f'in way man (him) bro', some doofus launched his boat, got in, hit the key, and it exploded, and burnt to the waterline, a 22' something, and it sank between the piers, right at the ramp (me) wow, what a bummer (him) yeah mon, the guy was kinda OUT OF IT...

we return after investigating Ocean Reef Club for a few hours, all seems quiet, too quiet.... oil and fuel slick at the dock.... yukkkk... Rasta see's me and gives me a lift again to get the truck, he's smirking but doesn't say much..... I back in at the ramp, and there is a newish Astro Van parked sideways kinda blocking the way.... hmmmm whats that 3/4" dockline doing wrapped around the front sway bar, looks to be about 75' of rope laying in front of the van... hmmm, here comes a tow truck.... hmmm, how's come the back window is smashed... hmmmm, how's come the headlights are FULL of water... I back the trailer in as the tow truck lifts the van, and water runs OUT THE FRONT DOORS (me) hey, Rasta Ranger, what's the deal... (him) mon, some yeahwho sank his van... (me) oh okay, why the shattered rear window.... (him) it went under with PEOPLE INSIDE IT :eek!: :eek!:

Just another day in paradise...

JH

Carl C
01-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Nothing that exciting ever happens at our launch. Just a lot of morons who take 15 minutes to launch their 18' boat while others are waiting. We could all get a lesson in launch ramp efficiency by watching the guys in a bass tournament.:rolleyes:

olredalert
01-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Jim,

------Did you say hello to my step-Dad at ORC??? Ill be down for the month of Feb without a boat and would like to get you and the dog and sig. others down there for stone crab, maybe??? Hopefully, thats one way to glom a ride or two. Cant wait to get there. Sucks here at the moment!!!..........Bill S

DonziDave
01-02-2006, 07:48 PM
The start of the season is always best for boat ramp entertainment. I just sit in my boat in front of a ramp and marvel at how many people launch without the drain plug. The panic on their faces once they realize they are sinking and the wife has already taken the trailer off the ramp.....!!!! I have seen idiots forget to set the parking brake and the truck, trailer, and boat go in the drink.

The best one though was years ago, Jim and Tammy Bakker of PTL Club fame had a house on my lake. Jim is driving a little 18' bow rider and Tammy is in the back reading a book. He pulls up to the gas dock, takes the gas nozzle and sticks it in a rod-holder hole on the side, sets the lock on the nozzle and walks up to the office. As the gas reaches Tammy's feet all hell breaks loose...!!! Hilarilty ensued....!!!! :eek!:

BUIZILLA
01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Red, ORC was packed to the gill's with people, and MEGA $$$$ boats everywhere. Not one empty slip, anywhere, in the basin, or side canals. Bar packed, pool packed, outside eatery packed... we were awestruck.... private jets taking off and landing about every 4-5 minutes... there had to be well over 100 million $$$ worth of boats just in the basin. Sobering... I am officially a pauper.

Ya bringing the Pesca?? :cool:

JH

gcarter
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Bill, you don't need to go so far South......it gets crowded with weird people thids time of year.
Come see us here in Central Florida. If Cuda can ever get a boat running, he could join us too.

olredalert
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Jim,

--------Nope! Hey, thats why I am suckin up to you guys. I never did get a ride in either Crit at AOTH!!!! Jan and I have condo for the month with nothing in front (water-front that is)........Bill S

--------And George, We would love to come up, but doesnt it snow that far north???LOL

BUIZILLA
01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Red, your not ready to visit George's area yet, you don't have enough blue hair.

anonymous

mattyboy
01-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I've told this story before
lake george fall picnic a year or so ago we are down at the sundeck enjoying the view and some refreshments after the run a guy pulls down to the ramp with a 26 bayliner cuddy the ramp is next to the sun deck, now we offer him a hand but he rufuses like hey i have done this a 1000 times and don't need help,
now Kenny Lessard and Brendon ask again these 2 guys would give the shirts off their back to help someone, we tell him watch the ramp falls off at the end
he brushes us off again now he starts to walk the boat off the trailer and proceedes to walk right off the dock into the lake now he is a lucking bastard he just missed being ginsued by the back end of the big fishing trawler with all it's SS hardware on the transom rudder trim tabs lines and all that stuff that was docked there, and when he hits the water he goes deep took him like a minute to resurface, now brendon and Kenny jump to his aid quicker than lightning they get him back up on the dock get the boat tide up and he walks soaking wet humilated passed us all back to his wife who is in the tow vehicle now things can't get any worse right??? til she gets out and yells to her kids
Hey kids get daddy the towel he walked off the dock again !!! :rlol:

Rootsy
01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
LOL, I thought the boats just quietly drifted away on their own there Matty..

holy smoke... it did float at one time :eek!:

mattyboy
01-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Rootsy yes it did float and was an integral part of the lake george rescue ranger fleet specializing in recovery of docklineless launchings

ChromeGorilla
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
The only dock story I have is is in Nov 04 in Palatka I had launched the 22, tied up and came over the lend a hand to Fishboy. Fishboy lauched his STV, but didn't have any line ready. So I held on to the STV while he went and parked his "truck". While holding the STV, Budman was in the other launch lane about to launch his 22. We'll appearantly in FL there is a launching technique were one leaves the bow eye connected to the trailer. This method does not work that well ladies and gentlemen..... As Bud puts his boat in reverse..... nothing happens..... we'll we just need a little more throttle, right?!?!?! :D He was then playing tug of war with his tow vehichle for a moment and he then realized his faux pas..... just wanted to share this little tidbit..... :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

gcarter
01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I left the stern straps on once, Bud, Fish, and Cuda watched me do it.
It wasn't very productive.:biggrin:

f_inscreenname
01-03-2006, 06:46 PM
The ramp I go to is just outside of Baltimore city. The next closest ramp is 5 miles by water and about 15 to 20 miles by land.
I get to my ramp and am I ready to launch but there is a big hold up. Now my dock has two ramps with two lanes each. There is no reason for this. I get out of the truck and pass a couple other boats ready to launch to get to the front of the line. I ask one of the guys up front what is taking so long. He says, “only one ramp is open because of that!” As he points to a 24’ Bayliner laying on its side across the #1 ramp. “ The guy was loading his boat and didn’t lock the crank or use a safety chain and it flew right off the trailer”. He then added “Dumb ass! Now they are waiting for the tide to finish going out and come back in before they drag it off.” Good enough, #2 is open, a little slow but open and there will be entertainment later watching them drag the Bayliner down the concrete and into the water. So I finally get the boat out and I am gone a few hours but it is time to go home. As I get in sight of the ramp I notice a lot of boats are sitting in the basin. I am thinking a lot of people came to see the drag off of the Bayliner and as I get closer I see my worst fear. They haven’t got the Bayliner off yet (they haven’t even started) and the #2 ramp has a van covered with water up to the front windows. Apparently the guy was pissed off about something when pulling his boat and when he got it on the trailer he slammed the van door closed and proceeded to floor the throttle. The drive shaft on the van breaks and in his anger or stupidly he doesn’t hit the breaks until to late. When he does hit the breaks he could have still saved it until he thinks putting the van in park will keep it still. He throws it in park and opens the door just in time to jump out into chest high water. So now everyone has to wait until the tow truck arrives or the tide comes in and the bets are on. Lots of entertainment that day.

mattyboy
01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I think all the stories should start
" this one time at boat ramp " :p

mrfixxall
01-03-2006, 11:21 PM
OK MATTY"this one time at boat ramp":p I had already pulled my boat out of the water and me and my girl was wiping the boat down..I heard this rumbling in the water and saw that a guy with a 42 fountain was pulling into the ramp next to me.He docked his boat and proceeded to get his truck and trailer and backed it in the water.I asked him if he needed a hand and he said that he did this a million times by himself.so he jumps into his boat fires it up and cans the throttle to get this monster on the trailer all of a sudden i heard a loud bang..The trailer popps off the ball and sends the trailer through the tailgate of his new F250 peels both sides of the bed and shoves the tounge through the back window.So now me and the old lady are stunned of what just happened so the guy ask me to give him a hand and the ooool lady said that you must be at high risk with your insurance copany if you done this a million times.Anyway i helped him by backing his boat back into the water then got out yanked the chain on his serge brakes and pulled out till the trailer was off the back of the truck.then i found out that the guy kept his boat at the marina i launch at and thats why he never hooked up the safety cables for the trailer and apparently he didnt have the toung on the ball all the way ..