PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Smuggler Boats in the U.S. ?

lars
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Growing up in Sweden the boats that were "the ones to have" was Smuggler Boats made in Sweden, Boghammar Marins' 28' Magnum copy(bought Aronows 1967 Raceboat from him and made a mold) and of course the Danish Botved Coronet boats. Coronet sold fairly well in the U.S., but I wonder if You guys ever seen any Smuggler Boats with their famed 28 degree V-hulls in the U.S. . There was supposedly a green 28' in the Great Lakes region under restoration a few years back. Here comes a thread to a smuggler Boat Owners web-site and of the boats there I'm especially fond of the black 28' they built to try to get law enforcement contracts, (260 hp with alphas), check the high grade of materials and equipment used for a 1973 boat.
http://www.smuggler.se/dansveits28.htm
http://www.smuggler.se/
http://www.smuggler.se/bilder/knoppelc2sida.jpg

ratman
01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
unlike the magnum they were popped from they are fugin ugly

M&M jr.
01-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Kind of hard to believe the 28 came from a Magnum....I grew up on a 28 Cig open cockpit. I spent my Saturdays running around Cig's plant 1 watching my dad do all of Don's glass with the crew. Hell I know the Magnums all too well too. Take a close look at that bottom on the Swedish boat...not even close from what I see. Why say it is a pop off...instant credibility. I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time). Just doesn't make sense to go thru all the effort to copy something and totally through the most important aspect of it out the window(the bottom).

gold-n-rod
01-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Hmm..... It's got Där andra båtar har styvutrymmen har denna båt flyttankar och stolarna är 3st hydrauldämpade och fullt jysterbara Bostrom

Ratten sitter på ett tiltbart nav och instrumenteringen är komplett med bla AP navigator, dubbla Ekolod med Repeterinstrument,

Autopilot, Fluxgatekompass, Dopplerlogg och en Sailor VHF Station av samma typ som handelssjöfarten än i dag använder,

Jeager väderstation och skeppsur , gasalarm och kompressorhorn.

Cool. It's even got a flux capacitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek!: :rlol:

MOP
01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Lars one like pictured in the link "knoppelc2sida" is sitting in Babylon here on Lnog Island, it belongs to Art Swanson a member of this board. He is going through a very very slow resto, I have looked it over it is built to a quality we could only hope to copy. If you wish more info PM me and I will get you in touch with Art.

Phil

lars
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Kind of hard to believe the 28 came from a Magnum....I grew up on a 28 Cig open cockpit. I spent my Saturdays running around Cig's plant 1 watching my dad do all of Don's glass with the crew. Hell I know the Magnums all too well too. Take a close look at that bottom on the Swedish boat...not even close from what I see. Why say it is a pop off...instant credibility. I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first time). Just doesn't make sense to go thru all the effort to copy something and totally through the most important aspect of it out the window(the bottom).
I'm sorry guys. I should have been more clear in my statement. The Boghammar 28' and 32' were made from Don's 1967 boat. Tage boghammar bought the white one that Don raced in Sweden that year, (the number 4 boat seen in the pictures). You can also see the 28' Hard Top in these pictures. The 32' is just a 28' extended 4 feet and that one they still produce today in very limited quantity.
http://www.annonsborsen.se/search/view/object/52669/
http://magnum28.se/
Smuggler Boats 28'. 24', 21' etc. has nothing to do with the Magnum HT 28' that Boghammar built. Smuggler was a creation by two Swedish Pilots in the 60's, and yes they are very extreme (28 degree V-hull etc.) and either You like the look or You hate it!

Ricky
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=lars]Growing up in Sweden the boats that were "the ones to have" was Smuggler Boats made in Sweden, Boghammar Marins' 28' Magnum copy(bought Aronows 1967 Raceboat from him and made a mold) and of course the Danish Botved Coronet boats. Coronet sold fairly well in the U.S., but I wonder if You guys ever seen any Smuggler Boats with their famed 26 degree V-hulls in the U.S. . There was supposedly a green 28' in the Great Lakes region under restoration a few years back. Here comes a thread to a smuggler Boat Owners web-site and of the boats there I'm especially fond of the black 28' they built to try to get law enforcement contracts, (260 hp with alphas), check the high grade of materials and equipment used for a 1973 boat.

Hi Lars.
I must agree that Dan´s Smuggler28 is a real beauty, it runs good as well.
It has been kept out of the water for a long time an there where some hickups getting the engines fired up again after all these years, nothing serious only dirt in carbs and a valve on the fuelline that was stuck.
But now it runs good.
Unfortunatly the propps got stolen and the replacements vas a bit to small, the engines did about 5000rpm wich is maybe 600rpm to mouch.
Also the testrun was completed whidout a GPS onboard wich was a bit sad becourse the boat realy responded well.
I can assure you that it was a real good ride.

There are rumours saying that a number of Smuggler boats actually found their way "over there".

It wold be nice to get in contact with Smugglers in the US so if anyone know of or see one please let the owner know of www.smuggler.se (http://www.smuggler.se)

MOP, -you are correct.
Art Swanson has a Smuggler28, he contacted mee to get some help finding parts for his boat.
Unfortunatly i lost his e-mail adress so if possible please alert him and make him contact me again.

And.. No, the Smuggler are not related to the Magnum or any other of Don Aronows creations.

Ricky (the other swede)

lars
01-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Hejsan Ricky ! I'm so curious about the history of Dan's boat. Was it Segmo Pelle who built it ? Who brought it from Switzerland to Sweden ? Is Dan planning to restore it further etc. . Thanks for responding to the post and hope the winter moves along quick so You friends at home can dig Your boats out and launch them.
From this:kyle: -20 Degrees to this :smileybo: Beyond warm.
Thats the the difference between Januari and June in Sweden.

Ricky
01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Hejsan Ricky ! I'm so curious about the history of Dan's boat. Was it Segmo Pelle who built it ? Who brought it from Switzerland to Sweden ? Is Dan planning to restore it further etc. . Thanks for responding to the post and hope the winter moves along quick so You friends at home can dig Your boats out and launch them.
From this:kyle: -20 Degrees to this :smileybo: Beyond warm.
Thats the the difference between Januari and June in Sweden.

Hej Lars.
Dan´s boat was according to the original dokumentation following the boat ordered from a company i Norrtälje north of Stockholm, the company purchased the hull and deck from Strömmen Verksted in Norway (who built these at that time) and the boat was then kompleted and equipped acording to buyers spec and delivered to Switzerland where the owner planed to use it as a demo-boat for the Police and Customs etc.
However they didnt buy it and the owner kept it for recreational use.

The boat has had the same owner since 1973 to 2005 when Dan bought it on a auction after the owner went bankrupt and the shipyard taking care of the boat sold it to get money to cover the storage costs.

Dan, living in Switzerland and having relativs in Sweden trailed the boat to Sweden where he use the boat in the summer.
Thats where i tested it.

Im not sure wheter Dan planning some restoration or not.

However, Segmo-Pelle took over producktion later in the 70:ties and one can clearly see a chande fore the better in the qality of the hull and GRP work and the reinforsement in the stern that changed from wood to something non-organic called Ferrett made of fibers and microbaloons.

My own boat is built by Segmo-Pelle and has survived the years (built 1982)of punishment wery well.
This winter i am also upgrading the boat with a new engine for improved performance.
So there are no hurry, i still need a couple of months before its time to put the boat in the water.
The old VP260 has to give way for a brand new Mercruiser Scorpion 377 engine and it will be interesting to see how it will work out in a 28ft boat.

By the way...
There are romuors saying that the first Swiss owner of Dan´s boat also still have a 21fot Smuggler, empty hull and deck and brand spanking new laying at a loft.
It would fit very nice on my trailer...

Ricky.

lars
01-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Looks like You're going to get a shot at 50 knots Ricky! The 377 Scorpion should be a perfect engine for Your nice boat. The layout in Your boat is great, both practical and pleasing to the eye. You've done a great job setting up the Smuggler site and I can only imagine what You'll do if You get Your hands on the 21 footer in Switzerland. Tell Dan that the least he can do, now that he has pretty much made all other Smuggler owners envyous at his 28', is to bring the 21' back to where it belongs.
P.S. Thanks for the history on Dan's boat.D.S.